Info on a bottle of 1963 port

Anything to do with Port.
juanto3
Cruz Ruby

Info on a bottle of 1963 port

Post by juanto3 »

Hi,

I am a new member of the forum and know very little about port. I have been given a bottle of port (images attached), which I have been told has been correctly stored so should be perfectly drinkable. Having done a quick search of this site, it appears 1963 was a good vintage, I would be very grateful for any information on this particular bottle and brand and on any advice before I make a decision on opening it or perhaps keeping it as an investment.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Martin.

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Info on a bottle of 1963 port

Post by djewesbury »

This should be a great bottle, if it's been kept well. The Wine Society are still a major importer and merchant and before 1970 were a major bottler of Vintage Port. Open and decant this carefully (there are notes on the forum about how to do this, if you search for 'decanting') and give it a few hours to rest (perhaps four hours or so) and you will have very pleasant drinking!

An excellent bottle to open for Christmas. Do tell us what you think of it.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

juanto3 wrote:I am a new member of the forum and know very little about port. I have been given a bottle of port (images attached), which I have been told has been correctly stored so should be perfectly drinkable. Having done a quick search of this site, it appears 1963 was a good vintage, I would be very grateful for any information on this particular bottle and brand and on any advice before I make a decision on opening it or perhaps keeping it as an investment.
Welcome to :tpf: All the signs are very good, whether you decide to open or keep it:
  • The level high in the neck
  • The capsule looks to be in good condition
  • The shipper is Grahams, one of the most well known port makers with a very good reputation
  • The bottling is the Wine Society, a well known reliable bottler
  • The vintage is 1963, an extremely good year
All the indications are that this should be a delicious bottle of port, assuming that the bottle has indeed been well stored. The 1963 vintage is a great one; some 1963 ports are now starting to fade a little, but the main (well known) brands are still excellent if they have been well stored.

Regarding whether you decide to open it or drink it; a key consideration would be whether you have the conditions available to store it properly (do you have a cellar, or other regulated temperature/humidity space for wine storage?). If you do, then keeping it (for drinking or investment) is an option, though be aware that the potential private sale price for an individual bottle will only be about 50% of retail. If you don't have the proper condition for wine storage, then I would definitely recommend opening (decanting) and drinking it, perhaps over Xmas or New Year.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

juanto3 wrote: I have been given a bottle of port
Blimey, somebody likes you. Why haven't I got friends like this? What a very lovely bottle of port. It looks great and as Phil and Daniel have both said it should be excellent. With regards to investment I would forget it. You might get half retail price as suggested but I doubt it will soar away in price in the future. If you had a case it might be worth hanging onto but a single bottle is really for drinking. The only problem is that having started at such exalted heights then you may find it a bit of a let down to drink what the rest of us have to cope with. :wink:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I agree with all the above, but have a different suggestion.

We have tastings in London, quite often. If you and your bottle were coming, we could arrange a tasting around it (we bringing bottles of about the same merit). The theme could be 1963, or Graham, or Wine Society Bottlings. Are you ever in London and available for a tasting?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Bottled early by the Wine Society, but first mentioned in the catalogue dated April/September 1986:
(There might have been a non-catalogue on-release sale of which records were not retained.)
juanto3
Cruz Ruby

Post by juanto3 »

Wow, thanks everyone for such quick replies. I am definitely going to open it over Christmas (can't wait to taste it). How long after decanting it would you recommend it be kept, I want to enjoy it at its best. Will it keep for a week or so or is it best drunk over a shorter period, I will let everyone know how it tastes?

Thanks again,
Martin.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

It certainly will be ok over a couple of days, but might begin to fade after that. You may find that it becomes difficult to keep this for a third (or even a second) day anyway!
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Martin,

If you do not think you will drink all of it within a day or two you can put half of it in a clean bottle and put it in the fridge immediately after you decant it. The cool temperature slows down the oxidation and evolution of the wine and it will last up to a week.

Enjoy!

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
juanto3
Cruz Ruby

Post by juanto3 »

Many thanks again for all this excellent advice. If i lived nearer to London I would have been quite happy to share it at a tasting event. However I shall look forward to opening it on Christmas Eve and probably polish it off on Boxing Day, fingers crossed it is in a drinkable condition.

Merry Christmas to you all,
Martin.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Enjoy.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Merry Christmas Martin. We look forward to hearing about this bottle
Daniel J.