How to record personal tasting notes

Anything to do with Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

How to record personal tasting notes

Post by Doggett »

Obviously :tpf: is a huge tasting note resource, but I was wondering what methods members use for their own personal records.
I have made some loose notes for myself previously but want to do a better job of this going forward, as I intend to pursue my passion for Port more seriously and hopefully join you in lots of tastings in the future.

So, I would be grateful for any tips or advice on how you collate and record your notes. Do some members still record everything on paper/record cards or is electronically the way to go. Can anyone recommend any software or point mein the right direction of a spreadsheet template.

In the main I like to record my thoughts hand written but I would very much appreciate any viewpoints from you much more experience folk. My thanks in advance.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: How to record personal tasting notes

Post by djewesbury »

Hi there
Julian's TN sheets are the only places I record port TNs from a TPF event.. I have a notebook that I use for anything else. Eventually everything gets typed up and uploaded to this - TPF is my database and I don't need a personal one. I find a notebook and pen a much more useful and flexible thing to use if I'm out at a tasting or in a restaurant or bar than an phone or tablet.
YMMV!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thread moved into the main discussion forum.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Welcome to TPF Simon :660033:

Like Daniel, I also just keep my notes here on TPF. I use an iOS app called VinoCell to keep track of what bottles I have.

Look forward to meeting you at a tasting.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I use my TN sheets, and type them into TPF, without maintaining a personal database.

FYI, some people have stars on their TN sheets. If you want stars then say how many (five is the usual), and which arrangement you prefer.
Image = /Upright
Image = /Alternating
Image = /Sideways
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Thank you for the replies, tips and welcomes.

The consensus seems to be to use the :tpf: tasting notes thread, which I will adopt too.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I use Excel, in part because I track all bottles I own that way, and because I want a local record which allows me to easily search (e.g. How many different vintages of Quinta dos Canais have I drunk? How have the bottles from a particular case compared when drunk?). Also I am somewhat more private about my tasting notes, since I do not feel I am particularly good at writing them; a lot consist only of a rating (and then we can all argue about ratings and rating scales!). A (small, local, well-designed) database would likely serve better, but Excel was simpler to begin, with incremental growth, and is still sufficient for me.

Welcome to :tpf:
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

PhilW wrote:I use Excel, in part because I track all bottles I own that way, and because I want a local record which allows me to easily search (e.g. How many different vintages of Quinta dos Canais have I drunk? How have the bottles from a particular case compared when drunk?).
Phil makes a good point about tracking the variation within a case, or indeed between various sources of the same port. While I write most of my notes up in a notebook I think I might have noticed sooner a few iffy sources I have come across. I am thinking particularly of the Croft 77 which has been excellent from one source and rather tired from two others. Like Daniel I now tend to write my tasting notes more often here than in my notebook. But the notebook is more like a journal than a list of wines, although I do index it all eventually. I use a moleskine notebook, they seem quite durable and you can get more once you have filled one up. I was once given one of the moleskine notebooks specially designed for taking wine notes but abandoned it as I did not find it any good.

Good to have you on board, the more people to rabbit on about port to the better.
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Excel spreadsheet. I have tasting sheets which I immediately transcribe to the database--even if just a score and couple of quick notes. I like it, its searchable and I can keep track of my inventory and what I've drunk easily.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I keep a small notebook (around 6"x8") and when it fills up I start a new one. That way, if this forum, any other forum goes away I will always have my notes. That also preserves my notes for quick easy access until I die, and after if anyone wants them. I will never have to worry about a hard drive crash, corrupted file, some new operating system that isn't compatible with the old one, etc.

After I write my notes, when I have time, I upload them to various wine forums.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have an absolutely foolproof way of keeping track of what I have tasted. When a Port is put in front of me that I can't instantly remember I turn to AHB and say "have I tasted this before?" The normal answer is "Yes, then, then and then..." - "Did I like it? - "Yes, apart from the third one which was corked".

It never lets me down and takes the absolute minimum of maintenance :smile:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In order to provide DRT with the seamless service that he requires, I use a spreadsheet to keep my tasting notes. I will take handwritten notes at a tasting / bar / restaurant and transcribe them onto my database and then to :tpf: when time permits. I like the spreadsheet as it allows me to quickly analyse my tasting notes and gives me a good record of what I have thought of a particular wine.

I use fields to record or calculate:
  • How many times I have tasted the wine
  • Shipper name
  • Vintage
  • Tasting note, including source of bottle where known
  • Score
  • Date tasted
  • Year tasted
  • Age of port when tasted
  • Decant time, if known
  • Event or location tasted
  • Whether a bottle from my cellar or not
  • Style of port
  • Bottle format
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:In order to provide DRT with the seamless service that he requires
… you should record with whom you tasted it, as well as
AHB wrote:
  • How many times I have tasted the wine
  • Shipper name
  • Vintage
  • Tasting note, including source of bottle where known
  • Score
  • Date tasted
  • Year tasted
  • Age of port when tasted
  • Decant time, if known
  • Event or location tasted
  • Whether a bottle from my cellar or not
  • Style of port
  • Bottle format
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:… you should record with whom you tasted it, as well as
True, I could. Currently I have to cross-refer to the Review thread on TPF to see whether he was there or not.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.