Music suggestions

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Music suggestions

Post by jdaw1 »

Wine Folly is a sometimes entertaining wine blog by Madeline Puckette. She seems to have partnered with a wine delivery company for an online tasting: presumably attendees share comments about this and that. So
Wine Awesomeness wrote:We've teamed up with Wine Folly to celebrate the launch of their book, Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine. This box includes 3 awesome wines, tasting notes, music suggestions, perfect pairings, and wine wisdom from Wine Folly.
Whoa! Wine now comes with “music suggestions”. Hoity-toity-tastic!

Pray, kind readers of :tpf:, what would be your “music suggestions” to go with:
• Fonseca 1970?
• Graham Malvedos 1986?
• Sandeman Vau 2003?
• Ramos Pinto 20Y tawny?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Music suggestions

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: Pray, kind readers of :tpf:, what would be your “music suggestions” to go with:
• Fonseca 1970? - Rule Britannia
• Graham Malvedos 1986? - The theme from Miami Vice
• Sandeman Vau 2003? - Fat Bottomed Girls
• Ramos Pinto 20Y tawny? - Last of the Summer Wine
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Roger Scruton's 'I drink therefore I am' contains various suggestions of wine to accompany music. I forget what they were.

Fonseca 1970; Tina Turner, 'Proud Mary'. (Karaoke obvs).
Sandeman Vau 2003; anything by Justin Bieber.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

F70 - Shine on you crazy diamond
GM86 - Sympathy for the devil
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

F70: Verdi’s Requiem.
GM86: Bach, Cello Suites.
SV03: Jerry Springer The Opera.
RP20Y: Purcell, Music for a While.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

We now have four attendees, four Ports, and a suitable list of background music. All we need now is an iPod and an organisation thread :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I should post the full track list for the atonal music that we never got to listen to in New York.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote: Pray, kind readers of :tpf:, what would be your “music suggestions” to go with:
• Fonseca 1970? - Thunderstruck
• Graham Malvedos 1986? - Hells bells
• Sandeman Vau 2003? - Whole lotta Rosie
• Ramos Pinto 20Y tawny? - You shook me all night long
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:Pray, kind readers of :tpf:, what would be your “music suggestions” to go with:
• Fonseca 1970? - Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss
• Graham Malvedos 1986? - With Cat-Like Tread from The Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert & Sullivan
• Sandeman Vau 2003? - Mercury from the Planets, by Gustav Holst
• Ramos Pinto 20Y tawny? - Moon River by Henry Mancini
(Apologies for the adverts on YouTube.)

What a great question.
I also want to suggest a music theme for a 1966 vs 1970 double horizontal - to be drunk to the sound of Duelling Banjos
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Fonseca 1970? - Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss is a good option. An alternative might be Fanfare for the common man by Copeland.
Graham Malvedos 1986? - I have not had the pleasure I believe so cannot comment.
Sandeman Vau 2003? - Quite young and brash at present. Mussorgsky - Night On Bald Mountain.
Ramos Pinto 20Y tawny? - Tawny would be a lighter, longer, contemplative piece of music. Baroque and J.S. Bach would work. The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080 perhaps.

My question inspired by my thought of the 2003 Vau is does the size of bottle affect one's choice of music?
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Rolling Stones go with it all. Just match the vintage to the closet Stones album.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

To advance the conversation, be encouraged to give reasoned disagreement with a previous suggestion.
griff wrote:Sandeman Vau 2003? - Quite young and brash at present. Mussorgsky - Night On Bald Mountain.
Is the music more dangerously brooding than the youthful brash charming Port?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

griff wrote:Fonseca 1970? - Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss is a good option. An alternative might be Fanfare for the common man by Copeland
Good call. I can quite picture myself sitting in a leather armchair with a glass and decanter of Fonseca 1970 with Fanfare for the Common Man playing as I take my first sip.
Griff wrote:Ramos Pinto 20Y tawny? - Tawny would be a lighter, longer, contemplative piece of music. Baroque and J.S. Bach would work. The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080 perhaps.
I felt something smoother and more languid would be needed for the RP20. I did consider Baroque (although I was thinking Music for the Royal Fireworks) but it was too lively and not mellifluous enough. I ended up choosing between Moon River and Summertime from Porgy & Bess (the Billie Holiday version, of course, although I do like the version which Ella Fitzgerald sang). Moon River won out when I decided that Summertime needed a chilled Sandeman 20yo.

uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

jdaw1 wrote:To advance the conversation, be encouraged to give reasoned disagreement with a previous suggestion.
griff wrote:Sandeman Vau 2003? - Quite young and brash at present. Mussorgsky - Night On Bald Mountain.
Is the music more dangerously brooding than the youthful brash charming Port?
I think my (impressionable) perception of Vau 2003 only being imbibed from an imperial may have influenced my choice. Hence my question on bottle size :)
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

AHB wrote:I felt something smoother and more languid would be needed for the RP20. I did consider Baroque (although I was thinking Music for the Royal Fireworks) but it was too lively and not mellifluous enough. I ended up choosing between Moon River and Summertime from Porgy & Bess (the Billie Holiday version, of course, although I do like the version which Ella Fitzgerald sang). Moon River won out when I decided that Summertime needed a chilled Sandeman 20yo.
Händel is a good shout. How about the Largo from Concerto Grosso in B flat major, Op.3/2, HWV 313?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Well I absolutely loved watching these, but found myself wondering which ports from each of those vintages would match the music. Roobarb and Custard for a 1975? Which port from that vintage would have enough life and bounce to live up to the soundtrack?

uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Roobarb and Custard for a 1975?
As the vintage was a bit shaky, a famously shaky bit of animation from the same era seemed appropriate..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

A great thread. I particularly liked Alex's suggestions - "With cat-like tread" made me laugh, and I envisaged a "rogue" glass of GM86 at a tasting creeping unseen onto another glass place to try and get drunk, and being chased back to it's own; Maybe later we might hear Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, as the poor unwanted GM86 starts to believe it will never be drunk and slinks off to a corner, finally perhaps Mozart's Marriage of Figaro as the glass is coaxed back to the table to be drunk and enjoyed, and fulfils its destiny.