Port in movies, dramas and tv series

Anything to do with Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Port in movies, dramas and tv series

Post by WS1 »

Sadly in current days port is no longer present in movies etc.. Hence I set up this thread on the :tpf: to collect the evidence when port was part of movies etc. We may be able to recycle this information if we have enough references e.g. do a tasting. To make a proper start here the first reference of port in a TV series in this thread:

TV series The Saint, S6 Ep5, Taylor 1912

I just loved when Simon Templar recogniced Taylor 12 as one of his favourites after having been poured a glass by Jonathan Roper probably from a Magnum decanter 88)

Good old days or as Simon Templar put it "Uncommonly civilised......"

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Port in movies, dramas and tv series

Post by LGTrotter »

An excellent thread. I shall have a think about this. Coincidentally I watched 'Babette's Feast' last night which prompted me to buy some Clos de Vougeot when I first saw it years ago. As did Jeanette Winterson, I understand.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

LGTrotter wrote: 23:51 Thu 23 Feb 2017 An excellent thread. I shall have a think about this. Coincidentally I watched 'Babette's Feast' last night which prompted me to buy some Clos de Vougeot when I first saw it years ago. As did Jeanette Winterson, I understand.
I actually thought there was some Port in babette's feast, no? Been so long since i've seen it.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Port and lemon?
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 06.07.12.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 06.07.12.png (157.77 KiB) Viewed 22741 times
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

From a post in another thread last week:
PhilW wrote: 21:58 Wed 15 Feb 2017 Having just watched the film "Remains of the day", I noted the butler removed a bottle of Dow 1913 from the cellar. Fortunately I was able to check in "Port Vintages" to confirm that no such vintage appears to exist. Does anyone know whether the bottle is mentioned in the original book?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

For those of you who have access to the BBC iplayer there is an adaptation of the Montague Egg story about the Dow '08. Read by Nigel Planar (Planer? Planar? Who knows, but Neil is who I mean). I would post a link but I am too frail. If you type 'Dorothy L Sayers' into it, you should find it.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Oh here you go, a link

I was thinking that the undergraduate in the first story complained of having his Cockburn 04 drunk by the rowing club. Published in 1933 that would make it just about thirty, an 85 in todays money.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote: 22:06 Fri 03 Mar 2017an 85 in todays money.
Oops!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote: 21:31 Fri 03 Mar 2017 For those of you who have access to the BBC iplayer there is an adaptation of the Montague Egg story about the Dow '08. Read by Nigel Planar (Planer? Planar? Who knows, but Neil is who I mean). I would post a link but I am too frail. If you type 'Dorothy L Sayers' into it, you should find it.
I spotted that in the paper this week. I think I'll download it tonight and listen to it either when drifting off to sleep or - more likely - listen to 95% of it during the day tomorrow when waxing our new bannister, handrail and finials.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In the 1946 film, Send for Paul Temple, 1 hour and 10 minutes into the film the criminal gang about to be apprehended by Paul Temple and the police are meeting in an abandoned pub called the First Penguin. On the table is a bottle of Port. The quality of the film is too poor to be able to read the label, but it is a diamond shaped label which reminds me of the old Ferreira labels or perhaps it could be a bottle of Dixon’s Double Diamond.

TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

"The Abbey Grange". In the 1986 Granada television production, Sherlock Holmes notices that one of three glasses of port had much more sediment than the other two, leading him to believe that the story he had been told about the chain of events was untrue.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Watched over the weekend parts of the old TV series "All Creatures Great and Small". In S1 Ep3 sends Mrs Pumphrey a Fortnum&Masons hamper to James Herriot containing 3 bts of Grahams 1920 and 3bts of 80 year old brandy for improving her pudel Tricki Woo's health.

In Germany the series was called "Der Doktor und das liebe Vieh".

I wish I would get such a hamper!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

WS1 wrote:Watched over the weekend parts of the old TV series "All Creatures Great and Small". In S1 Ep3 sends Mrs Pumphrey a Fortnum&Masons hamper to James Herriot containing 3 bts of Grahams 1920 and 3bts of 80 year old brandy for improving her pudel Tricki Woo's health.

In Germany the series was called "Der Doktor und das liebe Vieh".

I wish I would get such a hamper!

regards

WS1
Tricki woo! That takes me back a few years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Nice topic,

here is the german version of Dorothy's book:
index.jpg
index.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 15168 times
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

... but it also is true with all other wines. Good labels are not really visible in movies.

One of my favourites "a weekend at Bernie's" shows two: a 82 Mouton discretely on the table and a Belle Epoche (year unknown) which is occasionally drunk. Already some 30y old...
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In 1943 the US Army released a film, “Welcome to Britain”, for US servicemen stationed in the UK, intended to give the viewer a small introduction to the differences between US life and UK life.

About 10 minutes into the film the narrator visits a Taylor Walker pub where one of the customers buys a Port for his wife. The brand of the Port isn’t discussed, but it was interesting to see the only two pub drinks mentioned in this American film were beer and Port.

MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

I had forgotten about it, but there's a great scene in 'Yes, Minister', where Hacker, Humphrey, and some people from Humphrey's university (Oxford) are sitting around a table drinking Port. The Port is really not mentioned, only passed around and drunk, but it's such a good scene that I couldn't not mention it. I'll leave a link to it (although most, if not all, of you already know what I'm talking about).

https://youtu.be/C2X0E8xIjOI
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

In The Killing - the Danish Scandi-Noir crime drama, Series 3 Episode 7, The Finance Minister is trying to make amends with The Prime Minister after trying to get them to step down, and does this by offering a Graham’s Vintage Port 1997. Maybe Gordon Brown gave Blair a similar offering!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In Ricky Gervais’s film, Cemetery Junction, about 15 minutes into it, Matthew Goode is sitting in a front room persuading a couple to buy a life assurance policy.

On the mantelpiece behind his head is an empty Sandeman bottle. The camera never got close enough to make out the specific wine.

DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Alex Bridgeman wrote:In Ricky Gervais’s film, Cemetery Junction, about 15 minutes into it, Matthew Goode is sitting in a front room persuading a couple to buy a life assurance policy.

On the mantelpiece behind his head is an empty Sandeman bottle. The camera never got close enough to make out the specific wine.
So Matthew Goode was upstaged by an empty out of focus Port bottle! Hahaha.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

A couple of nights ago I caught the end of an episode of Heartbeat (Niamh Cusack!), didn't manage to grasp the storyline but someone seemed to be stealing Port and selling it on the cheap. The coppers caught them loading cases (Warres) on to a truck and in the execution of their duty they caused a wrong un to drop a case of Taylor's in surprise at being nabbed. My heart skipped a beat!
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

Wednesday night BBC 1 Celebrity Race Across the world they all had to get from Porto to Pinhao. The finishing point was the reception area at Quinta De La Rosa.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Justin K wrote: 20:54 Fri 22 Sep 2023 Wednesday night BBC 1 Celebrity Race Across the world they all had to get from Porto to Pinhao. The finishing point was the reception area at Quinta De La Rosa.
Very cool! I wonder if I can find that on streaming somewhere?
Glenn Elliott
mcoulson
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by mcoulson »

Glenn E. wrote: 22:53 Fri 22 Sep 2023
Justin K wrote: 20:54 Fri 22 Sep 2023 Wednesday night BBC 1 Celebrity Race Across the world they all had to get from Porto to Pinhao. The finishing point was the reception area at Quinta De La Rosa.
Very cool! I wonder if I can find that on streaming somewhere?
BBC iPlayer down a VPN from the States ....