Vintage Port quantities produced each year from 1960's until today?

Anything to do with Port.
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Vintage Port quantities produced each year from 1960's until today?

Post by Old Bridge »

I am trying to find out how much VP were produced in the years that are now ready to drink, but am stumped. Google seems to offer no help, or maybe I am asking the wrong questions.
Do anyone on the :tpf: forum know where to find such data? :?:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Vintage Port quantities produced each year from 1960's until today?

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As far as I am aware, there is no central record of how much vintage port was produced in the past (or today). Some producers have stated the number of 9l cases which they produced in some years; research on Google might allow you to find some of these announcements. When I taste a new vintage, if the shipper has said in their publicity material how much port they made, I record this as part of the tasting note so at least in future years there is a record for people to find.

I believe that the IVDP keeps records of the volume of port sold by category, but doesn't differentiate vintage port from any other type of premium port category.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Vintage Port quantities produced each year from 1960's until today?

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote: 12:09 Sun 22 Oct 2017I believe that the IVDP keeps records of the volume of port sold by category, but doesn't differentiate vintage port from any other type of premium port category.
I think the IVDP approves a set quantity of VP for each shipper in each year that sales are presented for approval. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the shipper bottles and sells that same quantity. I don't think there is a detailed record of what is released.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn