Anything to do with Port.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Glasses: what to buy; where to buy?

Post by mosesbotbol »

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:Image
Looks like a rolled edge.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Yes. The cheaper INAO glasses are. Not the very best, but if one wants, say, 120 matching glasses at home, that nice Mr Riedel starts to be pricey.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

A number of us in the US have decided there is a need to order additional glasses, especially given the tragic loss of a tray of 11 glasses at our last tasting. (Future tastings will send glasses home dirty to avoid such problems)

We will definitely be looking for better glasses boxes (without the cardboard smell)
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:A number of us in the US have decided there is a need to order additional glasses, especially given the tragic loss of a tray of 11 glasses at our last tasting. (Future tastings will send glasses home dirty to avoid such problems)
Marjorie Lumm’s glasses are still cheap!
SushiNorth wrote:We will definitely be looking for better glasses boxes (without the cardboard smell)
!but terribly boxed. Please share news of transportable cleanable improvements.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:I have just ordered, for Selwyn College, 72 of the INAO glasses from Winebox. Cost each: £1.15+VAT = £1.32¼ ≈ $2.19. Possibly the cheapest source anywhere.

They also sell, for a mere £9.73+VAT, storage boxes: Glass Storage Crate - Height 190mm (35 cells).
How did you manage to bybass their policy of selling only to the trade?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I have just ordered, for Selwyn College, 72 of the INAO glasses from Winebox. Cost each: £1.15+VAT = £1.32¼ ≈ $2.19. Possibly the cheapest source anywhere.

They also sell, for a mere £9.73+VAT, storage boxes: Glass Storage Crate - Height 190mm (35 cells).
How did you manage to bybass their policy of selling only to the trade?
But surely we are trade? If TPF can be invited to trade only wine shows then surely we should be able to buy from trade only suppliers. If it's A question of the size of the order, then give me a shout as I was intending to order a couple of the glass boxes a little after Christmas.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yes, I want to order some of those too. Anyone else?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

36 and one of those boxes with a lid looks a great idea.
Port is basically a red drink
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

KillerB wrote:36 and one of those boxes with a lid looks a great idea.
I would be interested in those too, however consider this...
http://www.pinevalleypackaging.com/Spec ... e-Acc.html

Same boxes, probably much cheaper as they are from the manufacturer, and potentially with a logo. If there is interest, I will contact them about minimum quantities and prices.
Edit: I have contacted them, per above.
JoshDrinksPort
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

KillerB wrote:36 and one of those boxes with a lid looks a great idea.
I think I mentioned this at the Christmas tasting, but if an order is being placed, I’ll be keen to take one of these too.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

SushiNorth wrote:Edit: I have contacted them, per above.
No reply by email. will try to call them next week or 1st week of 2010.
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:How did you manage to bybass their policy of selling only to the trade?
I was buying for an academic institution, but put it on my personal credit card ‟and I’ll claim the expenses later”. No questions, no trouble. Give an institutional address, even if only the lightly fictitious ‟Derek R. Turnbull, The Port Forum Limited, !, Derbyshire”.

I might take boxes for 96 glasses.

Ask about export to the USA.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote: Give an institutional address, even if only the lightly fictitious ‟Derek R. Turnbull, The Port Forum Limited, !, Derbyshire”.
I note that it may, depending on jurisdiction and context, be a bad idea to claim that an organisation is a limited company (or similar) when it is not...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There’s no substantive mischief: a trade-size group of people wants to order a make trade-sized order of glasses.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Bit the bullet on this and bought some as an individual - no problems. The delivery boxes are absolutely enormous and are currently filling up my dining room. Sorry, but there didn't seem to be much point in ordering for others as I'm likely to see you in London and I'm not carrying the damned stuff down there on the train for you - get your own. BTW, you can pick up from the London warehouse for nothing, Lytham Road Brixton (ish).

I got 36 Arcoroc Viticole tasting glasses, which are great. The box requires self-assembly and is a Krypton Factor puzzle that you eventually work out, even though it looks straightforward. It is sturdy enough and gets 35 glasses in no problem. The lid is, um, basic. Just a sheet of the same material as the box. Altogether, glasses, box, lid, delivery and VAT it came to £74.24, which is fine.
Port is basically a red drink
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I have 2 more cases (70 glasses total) headed my way from Marjorie Lumm; in addition I have contacted the Plastic corrugated wine box folks and am following up with them. They have a minimum invoice size, however, of about $500 and that may be either (a) too much per crate or (b) far more crates than we want to own/store/ship.
JoshDrinksPort
urotsukidoji
Cheap Ruby

Post by urotsukidoji »

Hey all, just wanted to say that after reviewing this thread, I purchased 4 Riedel Vinum Port glasses, and could not be happier. Thanks for the insight.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I have another 3 cases (72 glasses in ea) on their way from Marjorie. That makes 5 total, plus the (breakage-diminished) half case from the one g-man and I split.

What this means:
1) I have proper wine glasses for my wedding :)
2) We have enough glasses in NY for a proper tasting
3) I will be looking to unload a couple cases of glasses on my fellow NY tasters. TBird has already laid claim to one, so if anyone else would like glasses please let me know and we can work out details.
JoshDrinksPort
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I just ordered 3 doz. INAO glasses from Marjorie Lumm, too. Hard to beat at $2.25 each!
Glenn Elliott
Mark D
Cheap Ruby

Post by Mark D »

Cost Plus World Markets used to have a decent set of glasses. For about $6 per. It's been awhile since I was there though.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Portwine2u wrote:Cost Plus World Markets used to have a decent set of glasses. For about $6 per. It's been awhile since I was there though.
Cost Plus World Market Stemware. In particular, these are $25 for twelve.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

The Marjorie Lumm glasses, while inexpensive in the US, come with the downside of a very nasty cardboard odor due to their very convenient storage box. I am trying an experiment, the results of which will be posted soon, wherein I am heat-treating these cardboard boxes to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. So far, it appears that the inserts, top and bottom liners, and box (relieved of its plastic tape) give off a heavy dose of smoke within 3 minutes, then remain neutral after that.

My better half to be arrives this evening, bringing her better nose as well. I'll ask her for an unbiased sniff test of the two boxes.
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:The Marjorie Lumm glasses, while inexpensive in the US, come with the downside of a very nasty cardboard odor due to their very convenient storage box. I am trying an experiment, the results of which will be posted soon, wherein I am heat-treating these cardboard boxes to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. So far, it appears that the inserts, top and bottom liners, and box (relieved of its plastic tape) give off a heavy dose of smoke within 3 minutes, then remain neutral after that.

My better half to be arrives this evening, bringing her better nose as well. I'll ask her for an unbiased sniff test of the two boxes.
Please report the result of this experiment.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:The Marjorie Lumm glasses, while inexpensive in the US, come with the downside of a very nasty cardboard odor due to their very convenient storage box. I am trying an experiment, the results of which will be posted soon, wherein I am heat-treating these cardboard boxes to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. So far, it appears that the inserts, top and bottom liners, and box (relieved of its plastic tape) give off a heavy dose of smoke within 3 minutes, then remain neutral after that.

Please report the result of this experiment.
This experiment was unsuccessful, as was sun-bleaching the boxes. In the end, the easiest solution was to open all the boxes the night before, blow air into them with a fan, and leave a fan blowing over them for a few hours. This was equivalent to dishwashing all of the glasses the day before.
JoshDrinksPort