2016 Declarations

Anything to do with Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2016 Declarations

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
JB vintage wrote: 21:05 Fri 09 Nov 2018
Andy Velebil wrote: 11:30 Mon 16 Apr 2018 To be accurate, most VP's don't come from just one Quinta. Even "SQVP's", by law, can have a small amount from other Quinta's and still be called a SQVP.
Are there rules for SQVP? I thought that SQVP is not at all regulated by the law nor IVDP? Legally it is a Vintage Port, everything else is just marketing.
I agree with JB Vintage - I don't think SQVP is a defined category and the rules that apply to it are those covering Vintage Port.
Semantics. Yes it’s a VP, so it has to follow those rules. To be called a “Quinta...” it has to adhere to more rules.

For example, Quinta do Noval VP and Noval Silval VP can be declared in the same year. One is technically a VP from a single Quinta and one isn’t. They adhere to similar but also different rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote: 00:28 Sat 10 Nov 2018Semantics. Yes it’s a VP, so it has to follow those rules. To be called a “Quinta...” it has to adhere to more rules.

For example, Quinta do Noval VP and Noval Silval VP can be declared in the same year. One is technically a VP from a single Quinta and one isn’t. They adhere to similar but also different rules.
I think we need to see those rules :twisted:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote: 01:28 Sat 10 Nov 2018
Andy Velebil wrote: 00:28 Sat 10 Nov 2018Semantics. Yes it’s a VP, so it has to follow those rules. To be called a “Quinta...” it has to adhere to more rules.

I think we need to see those rules :twisted:
Good luck, they change depending on needs of any given producer :lol:
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

The following other houses have bottled a Vintage Port in 2016:

Andresen
Quinta da Boeira
Maynard
Maynard BIO
Feuerheerd
Cruz
Dalva
Presidential
Ventozelo
Delaforce
Real Companhia Velha
Dona Matilde
Santa Eufemia, Quinta
Lamelas, Quinta
Martha (for the first time ever)
Dona Otilia
Pego, Quinta do
Pessegueiro, Quinta do
Pintas
Pocas
Portal
Portal Quinta dos Muros
Rozes
Rozes Grifo
S. Leonardo
S. Jose
Vasquez de Carvalho
Vieira de Sousa
Vieira de Sousa Aqua Alta (first time)
La Rosa
Tedo, Quinta
Crasto, Quinta
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

Andy Velebil wrote: 00:28 Sat 10 Nov 2018
DRT wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: 11:30 Mon 16 Apr 2018 To be accurate, most VP's don't come from just one Quinta. Even "SQVP's", by law, can have a small amount from other Quinta's and still be called a SQVP.
Are there rules for SQVP? I thought that SQVP is not at all regulated by the law nor IVDP? Legally it is a Vintage Port, everything else is just marketing.
I agree with JB Vintage - I don't think SQVP is a defined category and the rules that apply to it are those covering Vintage Port.
Semantics. Yes it’s a VP, so it has to follow those rules. To be called a “Quinta...” it has to adhere to more rules.

There are rules regulating what is and is not allowed and a set of rules for each category of port. However, as far as I understand there is no category for SQVP. Thus, this is legally treated as a vintage port. I have read the law/regulation governing port and and I have found nothing at all regulating "single quinta".

None the less, each house has it's own internal rules and procedures, but as far as I understand there is no mandatory regulation.
Last edited by JB vintage on 12:40 Tue 13 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

Axel P wrote: 20:26 Mon 12 Nov 2018 The following other houses have bottled a Vintage Port in 2016:

Andresen
Quinta da Boeira
Maynard
Maynard BIO
Feuerheerd
Cruz
Dalva
Presidential
Ventozelo
Delaforce
Real Companhia Velha
Dona Matilde
Santa Eufemia, Quinta
Lamelas, Quinta
Martha (for the first time ever)
Dona Otilia
Pego, Quinta do
Pessegueiro, Quinta do
Pintas
Pocas
Portal
Portal Quinta dos Muros
Rozes
Rozes Grifo
S. Leonardo
S. Jose
Vasquez de Carvalho
Vieira de Sousa
Vieira de Sousa Aqua Alta (first time)
La Rosa
Tedo, Quinta
Crasto, Quinta
In addition to Axel's information, Dona Otilia, stated above, is also made for the first time as far as I understand. The company was founded 2015.

Quinta da Oliveirinha, produced by Alves de Sousa, was also produced for the first time as well as Talentvs, produced by Seara d'Ordens.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

JB vintage wrote: 12:00 Tue 13 Nov 2018 Quinta da Oliveirinha, produced by Alves de Sousa, was also produced for the first time as well as Talentvs, produced by Seara d'Ordens.
Only Talentvs or do they produce the regular VP as well?
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

I don't know. There are several references to Seara d'Ordens vintage 2016 but the only bottle I have seen was Talentvs 2016 so I don't know if it is the same.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Thank you both for your updates - new additions are now added
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

That makes 70 so far I think... does anybody know the vintage with the most declared. I am sure THE BOOK would help in answering this...
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

Doggett wrote: 15:10 Tue 13 Nov 2018 That makes 70 so far I think... does anybody know the vintage with the most declared. I am sure THE BOOK would help in answering this...
100 declared of the vintage 2000
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

After a quick review i found 3 additional vintages not mentioned:
Bulas,
DR
Palmer (Barao de Vilar)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Doggett wrote: 15:10 Tue 13 Nov 2018 That makes 70 so far I think... does anybody know the vintage with the most declared. I am sure THE BOOK would help in answering this...
The book won't answer this question. The last fully researched vintage is 1986. The explosion of new producers/shippers didn't begin to happen until it became legal to bottle and ship directly from the Douro in the mid 1990s.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: RE: Re: 2016 Declarations

Post by Glenn E. »

JB vintage wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: 00:28 Sat 10 Nov 2018
DRT wrote:

There are rules regulating what is and is not allowed and a set of rules for each category of port. However, as far as I understand there is no category for SQVP. Thus, this is legally treated as a vintage port. I have read the law/regulation governing port and and I have found nothing at all regulating "single quinta".

None the less, each house has it's own internal rules and procedures, but as far as I understand there is no mandatory regulation.
Correct. "SQVP" is merely shorthand for VP that comes from a single quinta - that is to say, may be labeled with "Quinta" in the name.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Glenn Elliott
PCM
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by PCM »

From the World of Port (Port of the month april 2020) I understand that Quinta dos Lagares bottled their first Port: Quinta dos Lagares Vintage Port 2016 (https://quintadoslagares.pt/project/qui ... ntage-2016)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

PCM wrote: 16:13 Mon 04 May 2020 From the World of Port (Port of the month april 2020) I understand that Quinta dos Lagares bottled their first Port: Quinta dos Lagares Vintage Port 2016 (https://quintadoslagares.pt/project/qui ... ntage-2016)
Thank you for spotting that and sharing it.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.