The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Should we start a thread on TPF to help the author with his second edition? We could create a list of Ports we encounter which are not mentioned in the book, along with photographic evidence to back up our findings.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

AHB wrote: 14:47 Wed 19 Dec 2018 Should we start a thread on TPF to help the author with his second edition? We could create a list of Ports we encounter which are not mentioned in the book, along with photographic evidence to back up our findings.
Sounds like a plan! I would be more than happy to help :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote: 14:47 Wed 19 Dec 2018Should we start a thread on TPF to help the author with his second edition? We could create a list of Ports we encounter which are not mentioned in the book, along with photographic evidence to back up our findings.
The Book wrote:Errors surely remain. Those outside quotations are mine; those inside quotations might also be mine, but at least sometimes are of whoever is quoted.

It is intended to list errata and additions at www.PortVintages.com.
Such a document is already being drafted. Please do send contributions, with details: auction house, date, lot number, photographs; when and where drunk, for what occasion, where and how documented, tasting notes, and photographs again. Yes please.
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

Received the book on Tuesday evening. Box was opened on one side and book had been removed from package, placed back into box and box repaired with packing tape. Aside from bent covers and little spine damagd book looks super awesome (love the size of the pages, the font and font size, pictures and graphics look great, etc). I am very excited to start reading the book. Dow 63 and 77 are the first 2 bottles I plan on drinking while reading.
Congrats again Julian mazel tov!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

differentdave wrote: 20:34 Thu 20 Dec 2018Received the book on Tuesday evening. Box was opened on one side and book had been removed from package, placed back into box and box repaired with packing tape. Aside from bent covers and little spine damagd book looks super awesome (love the size of the pages, the font and font size, pictures and graphics look great, etc). I am very excited to start reading the book. Dow 63 and 77 are the first 2 bottles I plan on drinking while reading.
Congrats again Julian mazel tov!
I’m sorry the fulfilment company has been incompetent.

And thank you to all, including you, who have accepted a ‘working copy’ in the slightly imperfect condition that it might have reached anyway. Even though only ‘might’.
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by Old Bridge »

The Book arrived in Telemark, Norway today.
Slightly damp cardboard, torn hole in one corner.
Book however, in perfect condition.
Thank You!
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Book arrived here in NY, slight ding on the corners but otherwise vrey good condition
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Book arrived in Gothenburg today. It’s in perfect condition, no shipping problems.

Marvellous to browse through. I already have one amendment for second edition...

Listed as “Maren” on p. 541, the photographed entry in fact reads “Waren” - that’s an 18th-century upper case roundhand W at the start (see, for instance, this handwriting primer for the two versions of W in use at this point.

I look forward to reading and finding further errors. Well done, JDAW.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote: 18:25 Fri 28 Dec 2018Marvellous to browse through. I already have one amendment for second edition...
Even at a distance of 650 miles the smugness is palpable. Well done.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

differentdave wrote: 20:34 Thu 20 Dec 2018Received the book on Tuesday [dec 18]evening.
g-man wrote: 23:58 Wed 26 Dec 2018Book arrived here in NY
Fingers crossed that mine's not far behind, but it hasn't arrived yet...
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

The book arrived in Illinois on Christmas Eve, and looks excellent.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Will W. »

AHB wrote: 14:47 Wed 19 Dec 2018 Should we start a thread on TPF to help the author with his second edition? We could create a list of Ports we encounter which are not mentioned in the book, along with photographic evidence to back up our findings.
A possible contribution:

The author expressed uncertainty whether Burmester produced a VP in 1934; it may well have done so, though if that is the case Burmester would appear to have used the term 'vintage' rather loosely. One refers to the inclusion of 'bottled November 1936' and 'decanted July 1945' on the label(s), the reference to decanting taking the form of a distinct sticker affixed below the main label. There is also a selo, which (if I understand correctly that selos appeared only well after the War) may point to Burmester releasing the bottles in, say, the 1960s. A late release as well as questions regarding whether the 1934 is a vintage port as opposed to a garrafeira (in the Nieport sense), may explain why the '34 does not appear on the vintage lists cited by the author which reference other Burmester VPs produced during the pre-War period.

I purchased two bottles privately in Portugal in 2016; one of them was consumed that year with the second remaining in my cellar. I have seen the occasional bottle on offer in Portugal since that time, not least being moved by handlers whom I have no reason to distrust. Of course, there is always the possibility of forgery, though I think that unlikely in this instance as the wine in the bottle which was consumed in 2016 was clearly older port. At that time - and indeed now - I did not have sufficient tasting experience to distinguish betwixt an older VP and a garrafeira. What was clear to me at the time was that the port had been aged in glass, rather than in wood.

Finally, I should like to join the cacophony of praise for this fine volume; it will be of great use, not least to those of us in the habit of purchasing older, single bottles in a market (i.e., Portugal) where establishing the provenance of such finds is generally very difficult.

With my apologies for being unable to figure out how to get the photo of the bottle upright on this forum:

'34 Burmester.jpg
'34 Burmester.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 14221 times
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Will W. wrote: 16:13 Tue 01 Jan 2019
AHB wrote: 14:47 Wed 19 Dec 2018Should we start a thread on TPF to help the author with his second edition? We could create a list of Ports we encounter which are not mentioned in the book, along with photographic evidence to back up our findings.
A possible contribution
The Introduction says “It is intended to list errata and additions at www.PortVintages.com.” It still is.

And I’ve started gathering data. Please would you email me (contact information) a really good picture of the bottle, for inclusion in the Errata, with credit to you? I’m hoping for face on (not at an angle), in good light, with good focus, at high resolution. That is, I’m hoping for the picture you would want in your reference book. Please sir?

Thank you.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Will W. »

jdaw1 wrote: 18:28 Tue 01 Jan 2019 Please would you email me (contact information) a really good picture of the bottle, for inclusion in the Errata, with credit to you? I’m hoping for face on (not at an angle), in good light, with good focus, at high resolution. That is, I’m hoping for the picture you would want in your reference book. Please sir?
It shall be done, with pleasure.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Book arrived; after some assistance from homebase. I saved "unboxing" until it could be done with some accompaniment, and selected a slightly older and less frequently seen wine for the occasion. There was a flaw in the plan, which i trust JDAW will spot immediately :)

JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

Lux-ed received today. Execeptionally well wrapped, almost obsessively so (a good thing surely), in multiple layers of bubble wrap, zip loc bag, paper and what not. Book looks fab, sumptuous leather, gilt-edged paper - wonderful workmanship!

Now sitting down to enjoy the cloth bound copy received before Christmas - T85 as a companion. The leather bound copy shall not be pawed by my grubby mitts.

In all, very pleased i am indeed.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I love my leather bound edition; so much so that it is still wrapped!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PopulusTremula wrote: 22:00 Fri 08 Feb 2019Lux-ed received today. Execeptionally well wrapped, almost obsessively so (a good thing surely), in multiple layers of bubble wrap, zip loc bag, paper and what not. Book looks fab, sumptuous leather, gilt-edged paper - wonderful workmanship!
Four more being wrapped today.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: RE: Re: The Book, ‘Port Vintages’, is for sale

Post by Glenn E. »

SushiNorth wrote:There was a flaw in the plan, which i trust JDAW will spot immediately :)
It appears to me that the Port in the glass is not from the decanter, and if my suspicion is correct then I approve.
Glenn Elliott