Humblebragging here in NY

Anything to do with Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Humblebragging here in NY

Post by g-man »

I've always wanted to do this seeing how you guys over on the fun side of the pond have such great cellars and offlines whereas I struggle to round up folks in NY!

But I've managed to pick up a bottle of 96' Dows.

1896 that is =P
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: Humblebragging here in NY

Post by flash_uk »

Come on over Jeff. We’ll help you take care of that one 😁
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I am definitely long due for a visit, I believe it's been almost 10 years since i've been back to London
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I don't have any Dow quite so old, but if you decide to open it — New York or London — I'll pony up a Dow 1908 to go alongside it. I've long wanted to try the 1908 and being paired with the 1896 would be a great way to try it.

PS - if New York would probably need to be late Oct 2019 or after.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Let's see how my schedule next year turns out! Or if any folks would like to swing by NY!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I would need some advanced notice and if work complies, I haven’t been to NY in ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The October 2019 school break (say weekend of 26-27 October or a day the following week) might work well for me to be in NY. It's a while — maybe 10 years — since I was last there.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

If we're having folks meeting us from the US west coast and across the atlantic, perhaps NY would be the best place?

I'll pencil it in!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Book wrote:A Miscellany of Wine (1932), C. W. Berry, pages 75-76:
No, never recork wine if it can be avoided; however much care is exercised, the old wine must, perforce, be exposed to the air, much of the concentrated “ethers” (the beauty sleep, as it were, of the wine) escape, with the result that the wine never will be as good as it was before the operation.

… Some years ago a client living in the south of Ireland wrote to my firm, instructing them to send a man with the necessary material to recork about fifty dozen Port (1896 Dow). We replied that before doing so we would like to see a bottle so as to satisfy ourselves that it was really necessary, adding that the wine would lose its pedigree and certainly its commercial value. He refused to send a bottle, I imagine for one of two reasons:—

1. That it was like our impertinence not to accept his word that the wine required recorking.

2. That he would be d—d if he would send us a bottle of his ’ninety-six to drink at his expense.

We refused to send a man, but added that the writer would be in the south of Ireland in a few weeks’ time and would call. So it was left, and I duly presented myself at the Castle. Three of us (the Squire, the butler and I) made our way to the cellar; the butler was ordered to draw a cork; he tried—the cork broke in pieces. “As I explained,” expostulated the Squire, “and you would not believe me.” “May I try,” I asked. “To be sure,” says he. Taking my own corkscrew from my pocket, I inserted it in the cork of the bottle which he had handed to me, and without any difficulty extracted the cork—whole—a beautiful cork.

The entire fault lay with the corkscrew; his butler was using a gimlet-like instrument in order to extract an old cork, instead of using a wide-thread screw. I believe as often as not that this is where the fault is to be found.