A Big Chunk of Cork.

Anything to do with Port.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Tom , you shouldn't keep things inside . . .
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Tom,

Now I know your a Newbie on the Port Front.... :lol:

but have you never poured a bottle which has had a lump of cork in it (As you describe) but the flow isn't superb, then the cork moves, an then the Port spews out everywhere!!!!

You dont have to thank me. :P

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have now tried the pulling the cork out of the bottle with a semi-inflated plastic bag method a few times and I like it, especially on older ports.

I have also done enough research to decalre that the most effective extraction device is aTesco's Large Food & Freezer Bag with Tie Handle. 25 bags for £1.49.

I have added 5 of these bags to my Travel Decanting Kit along with Jdaw supplied collapsable funnel and unbleached coffee filters to ensure I am prepared for all eventualities.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:I have now tried the pulling the cork out of the bottle with a semi-inflated plastic bag method a few times and I like it, especially on older ports.

I have also done enough research to decalre that the most effective extraction device is aTesco's Large Food & Freezer Bag with Tie Handle. 25 bags for £1.49.

I have added 5 of these bags to my Travel Decanting Kit along with Jdaw supplied collapsable funnel and unbleached coffee filters to ensure I am prepared for all eventualities.

Derek
Excellent piece of advice, thank you Derek.

The JDAW (DRT amendment 03/08) Travel Decanting Kit (JTDK) now incorporates:

1 Collapable Yellow Funnel;
10 Unbleached Coffee Filters;
5 Tesco's Large Food & Freezer Bags with Tie Handles

Additionally, I suggest, one standard port glass, one clean cloth, one corkscrew, one hungry cat. The last of these may have been influenced by circumstances arising at the time of writing.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:I have now tried the pulling the cork out of the bottle with a semi-inflated plastic bag method a few times and I like it, especially on older ports.

Derek

Additionally, I suggest, one standard port glass, one clean cloth, one corkscrew, one hungry cat. The last of these may have been influenced by circumstances arising at the time of writing.
There is one flaw in your kit. Everything retains it's usefulness even when made flat except the glass.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:

Derek

There is one flaw in your kit. Everything retains it's usefulness even when made flat except the glass.

Derek
I admit to the usefulness of one cat, flat, the other needs a bit of negotiating.

I grant the glass situation but consider it a necessity based on recent experience.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:

Derek

Derek
OK. Flat cats are fine and just as usefull as inflated ones. Suggest we each find a little wooden box in which to keep a single port glass and carry it with us wherever we go. Now, that doesn't sound too geeky, does it?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:

Derek

Derek
OK. Flat cats are fine and just as usefull as inflated ones. Suggest we each find a little wooden box in which to keep a single port glass and carry it with us wherever we go. Now, that doesn't sound too geeky, does it?

Derek
Not even mildly geeky, can't imagine why you would suggest such a thing.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Can I respectfully suggest that you consider equipping yourselves with the AHB Port Lover's Travel Kit.

This includes all the items outlined in the DRT travel kit, with the following differences:
  • The glass is a "Riedel in a box" vinum port glass and can be packed in a box marked with the logo of most major shippers.
    7 refillable 50cl wine miniatures and a plastic bag 20cm x 20cm in size (this being the largest size bag allowed through hand baggage security screening at an airport and the maximum number of miniature bottles that will comfortably fit in such a bag). The bottles can be supplied full of port at an appropriate cost.
    An optional red-checked flannel shirt, with or without port stains to prove previous use.
I believe that we now have everything covered.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I forgot to mention that the AHB Port Lover's Kit also includes a 6" clear blue plastic ruler to allow the owner of the kit to measure the length of port corks and inner diameter of bottle necks whilst travelling.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Perhaps we could add a fold-away TPF Port Declarations Chart to complete the set? All we need now is to find a suitable high-impact case with foam lining and trolley wheels/handle and that should be all that a travelling port fan should require.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

If your extracting the cork from a Port bottle, it is best to use a plastic bag, as it will often find a bit of sediment, and stain.

But if your doing it for a bet at the end of a drunken soiree, choose a clear white wine bottle, and a hankerchief. It often helps if you fail occasionally, and look confused, as though doubting yourself. The five pound, or ten pound notes you collect deserve this performance.

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

My funnel is green not yellow. Is this a serious deficiency?

Post by jdaw1 »

My funnel is green not yellow. Is this a serious deficiency?
KillerB

Re: My funnel is green not yellow. Is this a serious deficie

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:My funnel is green not yellow. Is this a serious deficiency?
A deficiency, certainly, but not one so serious that it needs revising.