Warre's Otima

Anything to do with Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Warre's Otima

Post by nac »

In the current Cellar Defenders thread JacobH makes mention of Warre's Otima Colheita.

I was aware of, and have tried, the standard Otima 10 and 20, but had missed the '95 and '06 Colheita releases.

Has anyone tried them?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Warre's Otima

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’ve had the 10/20 years back. The 10 wasn’t very good and overpriced. The 20 was good but overpriced as well given its 500ml bottle.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I've never seen them for sale. I only came across them when I was looking at the Warre website for the non-filtered LBV (which I've also never seen for sale!). I did wonder initially if they are phasing out all non-Otima tawny ports but I don't think that can be the case looking at the dates on the bottles.

Otima was supposed to be a lighter style which could be served cold. I guess that would also work with colheita too?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Selfridges have both the Colheitas for sale. I have had the 2006 which was for want of a better expression, “middling”. Very pleasant but no wow factor. I haven’t had the ‘95 yet. I think the Otima range was good at making tawny port more mainstream and accessible back in the Mid/late 90s, when I think I remember seeing it first. Then having tried lots of other styles as more made it into the UK market, the 10YO seemed a bit simple in style. I quite liked the 20YO especially when Lidl sold it at £5 per 500ml bottle as a bin end in 2015!

https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/?f ... rch=Y&pn=1