4 bottles - 1 x bn/ts, 3 x ms.

T70 auction.JPG
T70 auction.JPG (23.62 KiB) Viewed 8195 times

With the 18% fee that's £920.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Insane auction prices

Post by PhilW »

Have to agree, that's ridiculous; and it can't just be one person whose cat has stood on the keyboard either, there must have been at least two people willing to bid 750+ hammer for these four bottles, of which at least three have very poor levels and look like leakers. Perhaps they've (both!) forgotten about BP, and not read the description of levels?!
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

Yes but how about this!
Attachments
Ni Lbv 99.png
Ni Lbv 99.png (71.37 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Mike J. W. »

CPR 1 wrote: 22:39 Thu 11 Mar 2021 Yes but how about this!
If that's for a single bottle, that's just ridiculous if not criminal.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

It just keeps happening as well (at least on wine-auctioneer). I've been bidding on their auctions since last Summer (just for a bit of lock-down entertainment as much as anything else) and I've not won a single lot. Everything I'm interested in has gone for more than I could buy directly from a reputable wine merchant on wine-searcher.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

I sometimes find good deals on Catawiki, but since most sellers there are located in continental Europe I'm not sure about posting to the UK.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Are these online auctions new to the UK? Or maybe there are just a lot of bored, wealthy folks bidding?
We've been doing online auctions in the US for a heck of a long time, and there was fervor at the beginning. Then the average folks learned how it worked and prices came back to normal.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Did they think it was a VP? I've seen that happen before at auctions here.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

Andy Velebil wrote: 17:34 Fri 12 Mar 2021
Did they think it was a VP? I've seen that happen before at auctions here.
No idea - but even if it was VP it is still only one bottle and it was plus BP as well!
M.Charlton
Taylor’s LBV

Post by M.Charlton »

Recently saw an auction for three bottles:

2005 Fonseca LBV (unfiltered);
1988 Fonseca Guimaraens; and
1985 Churchill’s Vintage Port.

“Estimate = £200 - £300.”

BP (ca. 30%) would then be added...
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Mike J. W. »

M.Charlton wrote: 19:36 Fri 12 Mar 2021 Recently saw an auction for three bottles:

2005 Fonseca LBV (unfiltered);
1988 Fonseca Guimaraens; and
1985 Churchill’s Vintage Port.

“Estimate = £200 - £300.”

BP (ca. 30%) would then be added...
So the auction house hopes to sell that lot for at least £260 (incl. a bidder's premium of 30%)? Good luck with that. I'd pay less than half that for those.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

I guess a combination of a dearth of auctions presently, everybody permanently hunched over their keyboards and the sheer boredom of lockdown is fuelling this bidding behaviour-at least in part. Hopefully, we'll see normailty (and sense) return when people have got other matters to occupy them.
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Mike J. W. »

idj123 wrote: 11:05 Sat 13 Mar 2021 I guess a combination of a dearth of auctions presently, everybody permanently hunched over their keyboards and the sheer boredom of lockdown is fuelling this bidding behaviour-at least in part. Hopefully, we'll see normailty (and sense) return when people have got other matters to occupy them.
That's a good point about a dearth of auctions. Here in the U.S., the volume of Ports at auction has dropped precipitously. You can still find some bargains, but the total available bottles have fallen off a cliff.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Many people are spending very little on everyday items - much less than usual - and consequently have full bank balances to indulge.

I personally have given up ordering takeaways - I've not ordered a single one so far this year - and have re-discovered the joys of cooking in my undersized kitchen. Suddenly the cost of eating has dropped to the floor..

~~~

Had my first AstraZeneca on Friday - was quite smug that my brother suffered headaches after his but I didn't - until now..

..hopefully it will pass soon!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: Insane auction prices

Post by rich_n »

uncle tom wrote:Many people are spending very little on everyday items - much less than usual - and consequently have full bank balances to indulge.

I personally have given up ordering takeaways - I've not ordered a single one so far this year - and have re-discovered the joys of cooking in my undersized kitchen. Suddenly the cost of eating has dropped to the floor..

~~~

Had my first AstraZeneca on Friday - was quite smug that my brother suffered headaches after his but I didn't - until now..

..hopefully it will pass soon!
Fingers crossed you're feeling better soon! I (somehow, not quite sure how) got offered a very last minute appointment for Friday and had some minor aches and fatigue. Hoping it's gone by tomorrow.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Fingers crossed you're feeling better soon! I (somehow, not quite sure how) got offered a very last minute appointment for Friday and had some minor aches and fatigue. Hoping it's gone by tomorrow.
Yes thanks - an annoying, distracting front lobal headache kicked in just over 30 hours after the event, which then very gradually subsided.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill