Latest buy

Anything to do with Port.
User avatar
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1292
Joined: 07:45 Mon 18 Feb 2008
Location: NJ & NY

Re: Latest buy

Post by SushiNorth » 06:41 Thu 28 Aug 2008

3x Dow's 1994
2x Graham's 1980
2x Fonseca Qd Panascal 2005
wussed out on Graham's 1983. Will buy it next time I'm back near that store, and perhaps their last Graham's 80 too.
SushiNorth
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope

User avatar
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV
Posts: 279
Joined: 20:29 Tue 18 Mar 2008
Location: Denmark

Re: Latest buy

Post by ac-fast » 19:35 Sun 07 Sep 2008

6 bottles of Vesuvio 1998 - nice wood box
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15386
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by DRT » 22:20 Sun 07 Sep 2008

ac-fast wrote:6 bottles of Vesuvio 1998 - nice wood box
Here is a link to a TN of my only experience of this wine. I do remember it being delicious for immediate drinking in 2006, which may suggest it isn't one for the long term. Others with more experience of it may disagree.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1292
Joined: 07:45 Mon 18 Feb 2008
Location: NJ & NY

Re: Latest buy

Post by SushiNorth » 05:00 Mon 08 Sep 2008

SushiNorth wrote:wussed out on Graham's 1983. Will buy it next time I'm back near that store, and perhaps their last Graham's 80 too.
3 bottles 1983 (one for the 83/85 horizontal), one more 1980.
SushiNorth
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12129
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Latest buy

Post by AHB » 14:24 Mon 08 Sep 2008

Just added Foz 63, 66 and 70 to the cellar - but now trying not to buy anything for a while.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1292
Joined: 07:45 Mon 18 Feb 2008
Location: NJ & NY

Re: Latest buy

Post by SushiNorth » 17:08 Mon 08 Sep 2008

AHB wrote:but now trying not to buy anything for a while.
Yeah, i tried that. Not working so well. If the Dow's 85 is amazing on saturday i may replace it from sohowines, otherwise trying to hold off. That's what The Port Forum needs -- an "I'm not buying any more port" support group.
SushiNorth
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12129
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Latest buy

Post by AHB » 23:07 Sat 27 Sep 2008

I've just come back from Sainsbury's with 6 half bottles of Malvedos 1996, a bottle of Warre 1999 LBV and a bottle of Fonseca Guimaraens 1988. The latter two bottles to be drunk in the next couple of weeks and the half bottles to be tucked away somewhere quiet for the next few months or years.

Alex
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
benread
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1430
Joined: 21:36 Thu 17 Apr 2008
Location: Reigate, Surrey
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by benread » 08:34 Sun 28 Sep 2008

AHB wrote:I've just come back from Sainsbury's with 6 half bottles of Malvedos 1996, a bottle of Warre 1999 LBV and a bottle of Fonseca Guimaraens 1988. The latter two bottles to be drunk in the next couple of weeks and the half bottles to be tucked away somewhere quiet for the next few months or years.

Alex
From my experience on Friday lunch, the latter (FG88) needs plenty of decanting time to be at its best! Was this in their -25% sale?
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970!

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15386
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by DRT » 01:43 Tue 30 Sep 2008

benread wrote:
AHB wrote:I've just come back from Sainsbury's with 6 half bottles of Malvedos 1996, a bottle of Warre 1999 LBV and a bottle of Fonseca Guimaraens 1988. The latter two bottles to be drunk in the next couple of weeks and the half bottles to be tucked away somewhere quiet for the next few months or years.

Alex
From my experience on Friday lunch, the latter (FG88) needs plenty of decanting time to be at its best! Was this in their -25% sale?
Yes. I picked-up 12 bottles of the Warre's LBV at £9 per bottle and AHB was kind enough to find me 6 halves of GM96. Don't you just love British Supermarket stock control managers :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV
Posts: 279
Joined: 20:29 Tue 18 Mar 2008
Location: Denmark

Re: Latest buy

Post by ac-fast » 19:03 Thu 06 Nov 2008

6 bottels of Rosez 1994 Vintage - and 2 bottels of Quinta do Crasto LBV 2001 - never tasted it before, have you ?
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by JacobH » 01:59 Fri 07 Nov 2008

ac-fast wrote:6 bottels of Rosez 1994 Vintage - and 2 bottels of Quinta do Crasto LBV 2001 - never tasted it before, have you ?
I’ve had the Crasto which is good stuff, though my experience of it suggested that it needs time in the decanter (or a few more years in the cellar) to really blossom.
Image

jonathanvaljean
Cruz Ruby
Posts: 1
Joined: 05:45 Mon 09 Jul 2007
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Re: Latest buy

Post by jonathanvaljean » 02:59 Tue 11 Nov 2008

-Taylor-Fladgate 10-year Tawny
-Taylor-Fladgate 20-year Tawny

User avatar
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3394
Joined: 13:50 Wed 24 Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by g-man » 03:44 Tue 11 Nov 2008

jonathanvaljean wrote:-Taylor-Fladgate 10-year Tawny
-Taylor-Fladgate 20-year Tawny
welcome to the boards!

the taylor 20yr tawny is one of my goto tawnies and a treat to have as a night cap
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz

User avatar
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1292
Joined: 07:45 Mon 18 Feb 2008
Location: NJ & NY

Re: Latest buy

Post by SushiNorth » 05:03 Fri 21 Nov 2008

1997 Sandeman 1.5L (1)
1995 Osborne (1)
2000 Cockburn Qd Canais (2)
2003 Croft (2)
2003 Fonseca (3)
2003 Warres (2)
2000 Warres (1)
1991 Taylor Qd Vargellas (1)
1994 Cockburn (2) (pending pickup)

I am utterly and completely out of space. I need to drink all the table wine so I have where to properly lay down the port.
SushiNorth
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20939
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by jdaw1 » 05:35 Fri 21 Nov 2008

I have a Fonseca 1970 at home. Bring a Fonseca 2003 and the Vargellas 1991 and, chez moi, we’ll share the three bottles some time between Christmas and New Year.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3388
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Latest buy

Post by Glenn E. » 06:21 Fri 21 Nov 2008

I have 4 bottles of 1999 Quinta de Roriz on the way from winestilsoldout.com as well as 5 bottles of 1964 Dow's Single Year Reserve Port (which I have confirmed is a Colheita) on the way from Benchmark Wine.

$30/bottle and free shipping on the Roriz, so I couldn't pass it up. $60/bottle on the Dow's, which seems pretty cheap to me for a 1964.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1292
Joined: 07:45 Mon 18 Feb 2008
Location: NJ & NY

Re: Latest buy

Post by SushiNorth » 14:50 Fri 21 Nov 2008

jdaw1 wrote:I have a Fonseca 1970 at home. Bring a Fonseca 2003 and the Vargellas 1991 and, chez moi, we’ll share the three bottles some time between Christmas and New Year.
Infanticide? I'd have to pick up one more of each (which is quite possible today) as the F2003's were bought because ... well, i don't have much fonseca and I'm trying to remedy that :) I'll keep you posted!
SushiNorth
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope

User avatar
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3394
Joined: 13:50 Wed 24 Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by g-man » 17:10 Fri 21 Nov 2008

SushiNorth wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I have a Fonseca 1970 at home. Bring a Fonseca 2003 and the Vargellas 1991 and, chez moi, we’ll share the three bottles some time between Christmas and New Year.
Infanticide? I'd have to pick up one more of each (which is quite possible today) as the F2003's were bought because ... well, i don't have much fonseca and I'm trying to remedy that :) I'll keep you posted!
I happen to have a Fonseca Guiramen's 1991 :twisted:
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz

User avatar
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1292
Joined: 07:45 Mon 18 Feb 2008
Location: NJ & NY

Re: Latest buy

Post by SushiNorth » 17:22 Fri 21 Nov 2008

g-man wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I have a Fonseca 1970 at home. Bring a Fonseca 2003 and the Vargellas 1991 and, chez moi, we’ll share the three bottles some time between Christmas and New Year.
Infanticide? I'd have to pick up one more of each (which is quite possible today) as the F2003's were bought because ... well, i don't have much fonseca and I'm trying to remedy that :) I'll keep you posted!
I happen to have a Fonseca Guiramen's 1991 :twisted:
Oh dear... well before this splits into a tasting, should we instead be looking at this jdaw proposal and seeing if it all fits together better over there? Or are we about to do a taylor/fonseca 70-91-03 "How do they age" comparison?
SushiNorth
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope

User avatar
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985
Posts: 1292
Joined: 07:45 Mon 18 Feb 2008
Location: NJ & NY

Re: Latest buy

Post by SushiNorth » 19:07 Thu 04 Dec 2008

jdaw1 wrote:I have a Fonseca 1970 at home. Bring a Fonseca 2003 and the Vargellas 1991 and, chez moi, we’ll share the three bottles some time between Christmas and New Year.
Made into a tasting: Taylor/Fonseca Maturation Tasting - NYC - late dec 2008
SushiNorth
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope

User avatar
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV
Posts: 279
Joined: 20:29 Tue 18 Mar 2008
Location: Denmark

Re: Latest buy

Post by ac-fast » 19:58 Wed 17 Dec 2008

6 x Vesuvio 1996
6 x Vesuvio 1997

1 x Fonseca 2000
1 x Fonseca 2003

Haven`t tryed some of them
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3388
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Latest buy

Post by Glenn E. » 21:27 Wed 17 Dec 2008

6 x 1997 Niepoort... about half appear to have been stained up around the neck at some point, but none of the corks are pushed. So I can't tell if this is the infamous Niepoort '97 leakage problem or if they've simply been leaked on from above. The other half appear to be completely clean.

3 x 1985 Graham's

1 x 1966 Graham's
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15386
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Latest buy

Post by DRT » 23:05 Wed 17 Dec 2008

17 bottles of Vesuvio 1997 and 1 bottle of Warre's 1966 - 15 of these bottles are being sold to various relatives to give back to me as Chistmas presents :cool:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12129
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Latest buy

Post by AHB » 13:55 Tue 23 Dec 2008

I've just bought some Morgan 1991 from an impecable source...
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV
Posts: 279
Joined: 20:29 Tue 18 Mar 2008
Location: Denmark

Re: Latest buy

Post by ac-fast » 19:16 Fri 09 Jan 2009

Burmester 1997 x 6
Burmester 2003 x 6

Nice price, Imposible to say no :)
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.

Post Reply