Latest buy

Anything to do with Port.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Re: Latest buy

Post by PopulusTremula »

DRT wrote:Are you certain it isn't Silval or Colheita?
Yes, labels/bottles are consistent w those of the regular bottling.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I am surprised about the diffidence with which you greet a deal on port. Would you feel the same had you bought them at auction or is it just retailers you feel sorry for? Derek made reference to Berrys mis-pricing some SW97 on the thread on retail port pricing, I detected no mixed feelings there.

I know it is not an attractive quality but I enjoy a bargain and want to share my joy with others, even to the extent of crowing a bit. I think I detect this sentiment in others.

From the man who recently picked up a couple more Warre 1970 from a shop for £35 without a moments pause. 88)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PopulusTremula wrote:slightly embarrassed about my own greed, thus prompting the question: what obligations, moral, legal or otherwise, does a buyer have to (i) inform the seller of a potential pricing error and (ii) refrain from "hitting the offer" so to speak?
1. One ‘lifts’ an offer; one ‘hits’ a bid.

2. This subject was mentioned in the FTLoP thread entitled Pricing errors, check the stickers on the bottles at the SAQ.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

jdaw1 wrote:
PopulusTremula wrote:slightly embarrassed about my own greed, thus prompting the question: what obligations, moral, legal or otherwise, does a buyer have to (i) inform the seller of a potential pricing error and (ii) refrain from "hitting the offer" so to speak?
1. One ‘lifts’ an offer; one ‘hits’ a bid.

2. This subject was mentioned in the FTLoP thread entitled Pricing errors, check the stickers on the bottles at the SAQ.
Re 1: Thank you, now one will not forget what is lifted vs what is hit.

Re 2: Trust me to bring up what is essentially old hat. Note to self issued and plastered across forehead.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PopulusTremula wrote:Re 2: Trust me to bring up what is essentially old hat. Note to self issued and plastered across forehead.
Not a criticism, merely a link. We might agree or disagree or extend the content of the previous discussion.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

LGTrotter wrote:I am surprised about the diffidence with which you greet a deal on port. Would you feel the same had you bought them at auction or is it just retailers you feel sorry for? Derek made reference to Berrys mis-pricing some SW97 on the thread on retail port pricing, I detected no mixed feelings there.

I know it is not an attractive quality but I enjoy a bargain and want to share my joy with others, even to the extent of crowing a bit. I think I detect this sentiment in others.

From the man who recently picked up a couple more Warre 1970 from a shop for £35 without a moments pause. 88)
As you can imagine, I am no different from most people in that I welcome a bargain. My question is more about when a bargain becomes something more unsavoury. It is likely that there is no single line in the sand as preferences are individual and circumstances differ. My recent transaction came close enough for me to ask myself the question where my line is.
jdaw1 wrote:
PopulusTremula wrote:Re 2: Trust me to bring up what is essentially old hat. Note to self issued and plastered across forehead.
Not a criticism, merely a link. We might agree or disagree or extend the content of the previous discussion.
Not taken as such. Thanks for pointing me to the thread in the other place.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PopulusTremula wrote:My question is more about when a bargain becomes something more unsavoury.
That must have been a monumental bargain. Congratulations again, times three.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

PopulusTremula wrote:My question is more about when a bargain becomes something more unsavoury.
It is uncomfortable to see affluent travellers arguing with relatively impoverished locals about nugatory amounts of money. But I think most London wine merchants can take the hit of your half dozen without calling in the receivers.

That you raise this point says a good deal about your (sorry, here comes a terrible cliche) moral compass.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Latest buy

Post by djewesbury »

Well said Owen. Succinct and clear as ever.

And correct.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:
It is uncomfortable to see affluent travellers arguing with relatively impoverished locals about nugatory amounts of money. But I think most London wine merchants can take the hit of your half dozen without calling in the receivers.

That you raise this point says a good deal about your (sorry, here comes a terrible cliche) moral compass.
djewesbury wrote:Well said Owen. Succinct and clear as ever.

And correct.
Hear, hear.

Bag it and leave the shop, you have nothing to feel guilty about, especially because you do.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Think of this point. Most wine merchants price bottles when they arrive at their store based on the listed invoice which came with said bottles. Most likely someone gave your wine merchant a very good deal and he is simply passing it along.

Case in point. I once special ordered some very rare expensive dry wines from a store I dealt with a lot. Bottles arrived, I arrived to pickup. Employee I knew rang up and I told him the price was wrong, being way too cheap, below normal wholesale. He told me that was marked up appropriated to what they paid. I asked him to double check, being the nice guy I was (a moment of weakness perhaps?). He returned and showed me the invoice. I paid a tiny sum for some very tasty and highly scored wines.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

The above posts are all good and rational arguments which provide a substantial palliative effect on this mental itch of mine which I shall stop picking at henceforth. I'm sure that when the first bottle is uncorked in 10 years time, i will have learnt to love any lingering scar tissue.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

LGTrotter wrote:It is uncomfortable to see affluent travellers arguing with relatively impoverished locals about nugatory amounts of money.
My heart agrees with this.

But if the foreigners are throwing money around on a scale that dominates the local economy, then few locals will undertake other productive activities: factories, efficient farming for export, R&D, etc. The economy becomes dominated by the whims of the rich by nationality of birth. There are countries that have failed to make the most of their potential for similar reasons.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:It is uncomfortable to see affluent travellers arguing with relatively impoverished locals about nugatory amounts of money.
My heart agrees with this.

But if the foreigners are throwing money around on a scale that dominates the local economy, then few locals will undertake other productive activities: factories, efficient farming for export, R&D, etc. The economy becomes dominated by the whims of the rich by nationality of birth. There are countries that have failed to make the most of their potential for similar reasons.
This is reductio ad absurdam, simply because you and Owen are talking on such polar scales (you the scale of dominating an entire economy, he the scale of nasty grasping individuals who just want something cheap cheaper).
That said, could you illustrate your point with the examples you had in mind?
Daniel J.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

6 Graham's Crusted 1998 from Sainsbury's, currently 25% off when buying 6 assorted bottles.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DaveRL wrote:6 Graham's Crusted 1998 from Sainsbury's, currently 25% off when buying 6 assorted bottles.
Thanks for the nod. I bought quite a few of these a little while back, but a dozen more couldn't hurt. I have started buying these as an alternative to the Tesco's own 1994 which has been my standard cellar defender for some years. I think the Graham is better by a margin.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

12 bottles of the 2011 Niepoort Crusted
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

A mixed dozen comprising 4 Graham 85, 4 Warre 80, 3 Dow 1977 (not sure about this one) and a Fonseca 83, just to try.

A good mornings work.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Why the Dow 77? There's taking a punt and then there's throwing good money away..
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Why the Dow 77? There's taking a punt and then there's throwing good money away..
Just read the tasting notes with a sinking heart...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

*Ron Manager face when asked why his team have lost ten weeks on the trot*
Daniel J.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

2 x 2009 Niepoort Porto Late Bottled Vintage
1 x 2003 Kopke Porto Late Bottled Vintage
1x 1988 Caves Messias Porto Late Bottled Vintage Quinta do Cachão
1 x 2001 Niepoort Porto Colheita Port

6 x 2010 Filipa Pato Fortificado Espirito de Baga
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

4 x Sandeman 70 in mag
6 x Sandeman 20YO
& 1 x Ch. Chasse Spleen 2000 on eBay.de! :)
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Why the Dow 77? There's taking a punt and then there's throwing good money away..
I did sort through the pile and rejected any with iffy capsules, of which there were not a few.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

LGTrotter wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
I did sort through the pile and rejected any with iffy capsules, of which there were not a few.
I was going to say "at least when it is good, it is delicious; hope for the best :-)" - then I saw your implication that they came from a batch with lots of failed capsules/leaks...? Eek!