Latest buy

Anything to do with Port.
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Re: Latest buy

Post by Zelandakh »

Some 1980 Borges went too high yesterday so I'm consoling myself with a potential Morgan purchase courtesy of Unc le Tom. Potentially.

If anyone is looking to pass on some VP for whatever reason, please PM me.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick
-----
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

thanks dude. :D
SushiNorth wrote:
TBird wrote:i'm staring at a few of these for $17.99, good?
g-man wrote:12 x 1994 Rozes LBV port
yes. get em. bottle needs to sit open for 3-4 days before drinking, tho.
you've got a friend in cheeses
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Portman wrote:Bought at Arohmas do Vihno in Valenca, Portugal, one of the only places I've found in Portugal with decent port prices.

Bill
Hi Bill, is that shop the same one as this or this? Would you say it's worth the detour coming when based in Pinhao?
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Ronnie,

I know they used to have a Website I cannot find it. Valenca is a bit of a detour from Porto, about 2 hours due north of the city, not really on the way to or from Pinhau, and they dont speak English. The shop itself is pretty small, and the pricing is variable on the port. You definately see a lot of non bargains like 1994 Grahams for 120 Euro. Come on. But every time I have been in there I have found something worth buying. This year it was the Niepoort 2000 at 50 Euro, last year I picked up some Fonseca 1995 for a song, another year got some Warre's 85 and some 375s of Dow 87 that were cheap.

Part of the allure is that the shop is in the middle of a perfectly preserved medieval town/fortress that has commanding views of the River Mihno with Spain on the other side. It is a beautiful spot. If you are there, be sure to stop by the other big wine shop in town, which is located just outside the fortress walls, called Garrefeira Vasco de Gama. The prices there are HORRIBLE but they have a nice selection of port, they sell some great cheeses like Serra de Estrella, and they have a very nice selection of Portuguese wine in the basement.

I would say you could have a nice day trip from Porto, check out Valenca, and then stop by Viana do Castello on your way back to Porto, maybe for a late lunch or early dinner. The center of Viana is beautifully preserved and there are some very nice restaurants there. Probably some wine shops too but I havent really done a proper job of searching Viana for port.

I read somewhere (maybe in Mayson's book) that Viana actually preceeded Porto as the preferred embarkation point for wine until the harbor silted up in the 16th century.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Though I have not yet received formal notification, the auction is now closed and it appears that I was the only bidder on a 1963 Noval for $85. :D
Glenn Elliott
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Sweet deal, Glenn!
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

Glenn E. wrote:Though I have not yet received formal notification, the auction is now closed and it appears that I was the only bidder on a 1963 Noval for $85. :D
Is that the one from Brentwood?
I did came across Noval '63 for 85EUR on a UK webshop.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

smisse wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Though I have not yet received formal notification, the auction is now closed and it appears that I was the only bidder on a 1963 Noval for $85. :D
Is that the one from Brentwood?
I did came across Noval '63 for 85EUR on a UK webshop.
Yup, this was from the Brentwood auction. I'm knutliott there (and various other places).
Glenn Elliott
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

85 Euro is, um, a bit less of a deal than 85$. Like 50% less of a deal. So I will amend my post above:

"Semi-sweet deal, Glenn!" Bill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Portman wrote:Ronnie,

I know they used to have a Website I cannot find it. Valenca is a bit of a detour from Porto, about 2 hours due north of the city, not really on the way to or from Pinhau, and they dont speak English. The shop itself is pretty small, and the pricing is variable on the port. You definately see a lot of non bargains like 1994 Grahams for 120 Euro. Come on. But every time I have been in there I have found something worth buying. This year it was the Niepoort 2000 at 50 Euro, last year I picked up some Fonseca 1995 for a song, another year got some Warre's 85 and some 375s of Dow 87 that were cheap.

Part of the allure is that the shop is in the middle of a perfectly preserved medieval town/fortress that has commanding views of the River Mihno with Spain on the other side. It is a beautiful spot. If you are there, be sure to stop by the other big wine shop in town, which is located just outside the fortress walls, called Garrefeira Vasco de Gama. The prices there are HORRIBLE but they have a nice selection of port, they sell some great cheeses like Serra de Estrella, and they have a very nice selection of Portuguese wine in the basement.

I would say you could have a nice day trip from Porto, check out Valenca, and then stop by Viana do Castello on your way back to Porto, maybe for a late lunch or early dinner. The center of Viana is beautifully preserved and there are some very nice restaurants there. Probably some wine shops too but I havent really done a proper job of searching Viana for port.

I read somewhere (maybe in Mayson's book) that Viana actually preceeded Porto as the preferred embarkation point for wine until the harbor silted up in the 16th century.
Thanks for the info Bill! We're in Porto and the Douro in November, and we're always looking for new places to visit. This may be a nice tour, we've been to Viana already, but that's more than 5 years back, so it may be worth to visit again.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Portman wrote:85 Euro is, um, a bit less of a deal than 85$. Like 50% less of a deal. So I will amend my post above:

"Semi-sweet deal, Glenn!" Bill
Mine was $85 at Brentwood. The 85 Euro bottle was one that smisse found on a UK web site.

So one sweet deal and one semi-sweet deal! :)
Glenn Elliott
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

I found, whilst surfing and supping, what was a surprising deal. 77s for under a tenner.

Excitedly, I called them yesterday morning though I kept my excitement very quiet. I enquired about them and asked if they had any left...fraid not. Still, I've left my details as she may get some more soon.

Nearly had a reasonable port at a great price.
Nick
-----
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Zelandakh wrote:I found, whilst surfing and supping, what was a surprising deal. 77s for under a tenner.

Excitedly, I called them yesterday morning though I kept my excitement very quiet. I enquired about them and asked if they had any left...fraid not. Still, I've left my details as she may get some more soon.

Nearly had a reasonable port at a great price.
Should there be more than you want / need / prepared to buy yourself, please do post details!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

Oh I plan to do so. I was on this page when I called them ready to post!!
Nick
-----
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

I won four Niepoort 2003 Vintage ports at auction this weekend.

$50 each. Pretty good deal.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

An even better deal, again from auction:

4 x 2000 Fonseca @ $42 each.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Portman wrote:An even better deal, again from auction:

what auction is this if u dont mind?

i've been looking for the f2000
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Portman wrote:An even better deal, again from auction:

Wow, nice, i wasn't able to get mine that cheap off them.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Just bought 6 bottles of Morgan 1991 from our friendly Morgan distributor. Excellent current drinking.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Just bought 6 bottles of Morgan 1991 from our friendly Morgan distributor. Excellent current drinking.
Very few left now.. :cry: - can people remind me if I'm holding any for them pending collection - I think Nick wants three boxes - anyone else?

~~~

Picked some interesting items yesterday, including a Q. Sibio 1900, which cost a pretty penny..

..and a dozen Sandeman's Claret 1978 - tidy bottles with good labels and levels - for just £46 including BP..!

Can't go too far wrong at that price - might just pop a bottle in a minute to see if they're any good!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

uncle tom wrote:..and a dozen Sandeman's Claret 1978 - tidy bottles with good labels and levels - for just £46 including BP..!

Can't go too far wrong at that price - might just pop a bottle in a minute to see if they're any good!
I didn’t know that Sandeman produced claret; shame that looking around the web suggests the more recent stuff is fairly low quality--why do they always aim for the bottom with the Sandeman name?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

uncle tom wrote:
Very few left now.. :cry: - can people remind me if I'm holding any for them pending collection - I think Nick wants three boxes - anyone else?

Tom
Yes, can you please put a tag reading "Uncle Tom, SushiNorth, & TPF Co" on one of those so they don't all vanish before I get a chance to visit the UK and drink with you? :) I have no idea when that might be, but I'm working on it!
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Somewhere last year I e-mailed a wineshop in Amsterdam to order a bottle of Niepoort 1987, to be brought to Oman by a visiting family member. When she came to collect the bottle, they informed her that there ought to be a case of this port somewhere in the cellar, but that they couldn't find it anymore. Bummer.

Last week I received an e-mail from this same merchant. "We found the case (of 6), do you still want some?" So I bought the entire case. :)
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The Sandeman '78 claret is drinkable, but that's about it - should have been drunk at least a decade ago.

A wine to be drunk when cooking - some for me, and some in the pot..

..bit more for me.. bit more in the pot :nirvana:

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill