Your first port

Anything to do with Port.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Your first port

Post by ac-fast »

Can you remenber first time you tastet portwine ?????
How long time ago, and what kind of port was it ??

I remember my first time, i tastet port, in the mid `80
It was tradition in Denmark that you opend a bottel of withe Sandeman, for your aunt`s birthday, and next year she took the same bottel out of the closet, and served it. My grand mom served from the same bottle 3 years in a row :cry:
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

Three years in a row!!! :shock: :crying:

I grew up in a family that doesn't take sweet wines serious: something to turn your back on as soon as you've acquired a taste for dry wines... So no port-tradition where I come from...
Luckily I don't take for granted what other people say and like to find out for myself...

My first bottle of port was a few months ago. It was a standard tawny by Sea Lord (a buyer's own brand) produced by the Symingtons. From then on I started to try different types and brands. As my signature indicates, I still consider myself a newbie...
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I started drinking port during my student time. I consumed a large number of standard rubies and tawnies from Super(deBoer) and Albert Heijn before I bought a bottle of Niepoort Tawny and was stunned by the taste. Then I started buying better stuff. My first bottle of Vintage Port was a Kopke 1985. It was the beginning of a serious addiction...
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

My first serious bottle of port was a Porto Mogardo vintage 1987.

I was in a wineshop, buying redwine for cristmas and new year, and the man from the wineshop asked me: would you like to taste som port - NO I dont like port (remember my aunt and grandmom) - I told him the story, and he had heard it several times.

I tasted the port, and bought 2 bottles :)
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think it was either a Taylor or Graham LBV about 15 to 18 years ago. I think my first VP was a Quinta do Bomfim.

I have tasted one or two others since :roll: :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I believe my maternal grandfather was in the habit of administering teaspoons of port as a means of quieting babies, but I have no specific recollection of the treatment...

I do recall encountering (under the stairs) a box of various leftover bottles that my father had liberated from a hospitality tent at the close of the Farnborough air show in the late fifties.

Having lain, largely untouched, for the best part of twenty years, I indulged my own process of liberation, and recall secreting half a bottle of tawny up to my room. Aside from noticing some sediment, I cannot recall much about it.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

I am sure I will have tried the odd LBV but my first VP was a Dow 1960 laid down for me by my grandfather and prised from my fathers grasp in about 1992. 1 bottle of said case remains by which I deduce my father drank 8 as I have only has 3 in total since 1992!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!