Equipment for Blind Tastings

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I just bought these...

Rather than various decanters being carried from the four corners of the land to Wokingham should I just bring these and we use the original bottles instead?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The bottle covers look great. Please post a link.

Post by jdaw1 »

The bottle covers look great. Please post a link.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Here is the link for the Blind Tasting Bottle Covers

Let me know if you want some and I will try to have them added to my order as it won't be despatched until Tuesday.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Must have! But cheaper at DrinksDirect.co.uk.

Post by jdaw1 »

Must have! But cheaper at DrinksDirect.co.uk.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Must have! But cheaper at DrinksDirect.co.uk.

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Must have! But cheaper at DrinksDirect.co.uk.
True, but DrinksDirect.co.uk will add £5.10 delivery charge making them more expensive as mine are part of a larger order for which delivery is already paid. I have taken the liberty of emailing Wineware asking them to add a set to my order. You will have!
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Must have! But cheaper at DrinksDirect.co.uk.
True, but DrinksDirect.co.uk will add £5.10 delivery charge making them more expensive as mine are part of a larger order for which delivery is already paid. I have taken the liberty of emailing Wineware asking them to add a set to my order. You will have!
Thank you.

Is it worth separating into a new thread — perhaps entitled “Equipment for blind tastings† — the posts about the jackets?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Thank you.

Is it worth separating into a new thread — perhaps entitled “Equipment for blind tastings† — the posts about the jackets?
No problem. Have split the thread as suggested.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

An extra £3 on each of two sets; or an extra £5.10 delivery?

Post by jdaw1 »

An extra £2.96 on each of two sets; or an extra £5.10 delivery? OK, I don’t care about 82p.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: An extra £3 on each of two sets; or an extra £5.10 deliv

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:An extra £2.96 on each of two sets; or an extra £5.10 delivery? OK, I don’t care about 82p.
You don't have to. They are my donation to future :TPF: New York-based Blind Tastings. We now have a set on each side of the pond.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:They are my donation to future :TPF: New York-based Blind Tastings. We now have a set on each side of the pond.

Derek
Very kind. I shall hold them in trust for the port drinkers of New York.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:They are my donation to future :TPF: New York-based Blind Tastings. We now have a set on each side of the pond.
Excellent. Note space-saving measures taken here to display my pleasure with this arrangement.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Resultant drivel moved to here

It is believed that this is the first :tpf: thread that was an off-topic split from a previous thread to be split itself for going off-topic. We are obviously getting better at being a BB. 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:

Derek
Actually, if, in the dim and distant future, I move away from New York, then I shall hold in trust for the port drinkers of my new location.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:

Derek
Actually, if, in the dim and distant future, I move away from New York, then I shall hold in trust for the port drinkers of my new location.
That works too.
Ernest H. Cockburn
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

Derek T. wrote:I just bought these...

Rather than various decanters being carried from the four corners of the land to Wokingham should I just bring these and we use the original bottles instead?

Derek
How are these going to conceal differences in height between the various bottles?
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by morteno »

I had that problem recently at a white wine blind tasting. It was pretty obvious that there we no wines from Alsace. I guess an Otima would create the same problem. We need a black decanter :wink:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This is always a problem when you have a line-up that has an unusually shaped bottle. Our normal approach at :tpf: blind tastings is to wrap the bottles in foil to conceal the label. This works for most but not for shippers such as Niepoort. A solution is to decant into a different bottle that is a more standard shape and size.

Black decanters would be good, but you would have to turn the lights out when pouring the wines into the balck glasses to ensure nobody could see the colour of the wine :lol: :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I love the way we are hopeless at Blind tastings, but always on the lookout for things to make them more difficult. This isn't criticism, I think they look good and would enhance such an occasion.

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Bottle covers

Post by jdaw1 »

1. A little disappointingly, but not surprisingly, I have been unable to find these covers in magnum size. Haven’t even looked for Imperial sizes.

2. Derek: when they come, please spend a moment endeavouring to identify the typeface — so that the placemats can match.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Bottle covers

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Derek: when they come, please spend a moment endeavouring to identify the typeface — so that the placemats can match.
Will do.

...and I think if we had 9 of these plus one Magnum it might be possible to identify the odd one out even with the lights on :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Bottle covers

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Derek: when they come, please spend a moment endeavouring to identify the typeface — so that the placemats can match.
Will do.

...and I think if we had 9 of these plus one Magnum it might be possible to identify the odd one out even with the lights on :lol:
I was thinking of ten magnum bottle covers, for a serious blind (and blinding) tasting.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Derek T. wrote:I have taken the liberty of emailing Wineware asking them to add a set to my order.
I have received confirmation that the additional set have been added and will be despatched today. :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Do you get a white stick to find the glass?.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Derek T. wrote:
Black decanters would be good, but you would have to turn the lights out when pouring the wines into the balck glasses to ensure nobody could see the colour of the wine :lol: :lol:

Derek
Why would you have black glasses in a blind port tasting? I can just imagine a few of the problems one might have picking out the age of the port depending on decant times.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

g-man wrote:
Derek T. wrote:

Derek
Why would you have black glasses in a blind port tasting? I can just imagine a few of the problems one might have picking out the age of the port depending on decant times.
I think the theory is that you limit the the available senses to smell and taste so that the taster can't make a stab based on colour. I'm not sure what the actual point is but I think they just look like good fun to try.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn