Cockburn's Lacrima Christi 1974

Anything to do with Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:
Rubby wrote: The chances of me attending an off-line in the near future are nil. Sorry. :(
Rubby,

There is talk of an Off-line in the Netherlands in July or August - could you attend that?

Regardless of your answer I would still be interested in sharing the cost of this bottle and then waiting until we can meet at an off-line to taste it. Send me a PM if you want to talk dirty about money :lol:

Derek
Rubby, it would be great if you are able to attend this offline. I will probably be held the night of July 2.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

Derek T. wrote:
Rubby wrote: The chances of me attending an off-line in the near future are nil. Sorry. :(
Rubby,

There is talk of an Off-line in the Netherlands in July or August - could you attend that?
:oops: oops... missed the thread. I might be able to attend that one. I'll have to check my agenda tonight.
Derek T. wrote:Regardless of your answer I would still be interested in sharing the cost of this bottle and then waiting until we can meet at an off-line to taste it. Send me a PM if you want to talk dirty about money :lol:

Derek
To be honest I've already send an email to the seller. Just the fact that so few people knew what it was makes it so much more interesting. :wink:
Frequently Ask Questions
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

Conky wrote:Remember he's a Scotsman, so the conversation may go along the lines of

"So my share is £50? So that's £40? £30 right? when do you want the £20 paid?"

:D Alan :D
That reputation is not limited to Scots only...
You don't have expressions like "a Dutch treat" or "to go Dutch" for nothing...
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

10Anos wrote:
Conky wrote:Remember he's a Scotsman, so the conversation may go along the lines of

"So my share is £50? So that's £40? £30 right? when do you want the £20 paid?"

:D Alan :D
That reputation is not limited to Scots only...
You don't have expressions like "a Dutch treat" or "to go Dutch" for nothing...
Is that the reason for those sayings?

Well I never. I always thought it was to do with Dutch practicalities, and the fact that no-one avoids their share. I didn't realise it was derogatory.

Alan
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

The use of "Dutch", in derogatory terms, comes from the Dutch Wars of the Charleses, especially Chuck I. The English had been bestest buddies with the Dutch for centuries, especially in defeating the Portuguese.

However, the Dutchies went and built themselves a bloody great big merchant navy that dominated trade, especially the spice trade. Chuck I thought that they'd got above themselves and the wars went on up until Chuck II worked out that warring with the Dutch was a bit rubbish.

Several terms, such as: "Going Dutch" - suggesting the Dutch were careful with money; "Dutch Uncle" - somebody that stridently tells you what to do; "Dutch Wife" - prostitute; "Double Dutch" - incomprehensible language, stuck long after we'd become bestest buddies again.
Port is basically a red drink
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

Well, lets just say that here in the south we generally consider the people in the coastal provinces a little thrifty or even stingy. I can't imagine this was always the case because in the 17th century (which we call "de gouden eeuw" meaning "the golden century") it were those provinces that were most wealthy as a result of all the overseas trading...

IMO some of the expressions seem to have at least some truth, because many Dutch are careful with money. And some Dutch can be a little too direct when it comes to voicing their opinions.

In the 17th century foreigners considered what was to become the Netherlands a bit of a mess with a number of different churches, too much freedom for women, bourgeosie and lack of hierarchie. That may have been the origin of expressions like Dutch wife.
Come to think of it, some foreigners still consider the NL a bit of a mess with things like our soft-drugs policy...
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

10Anos wrote:Well, lets just say that here in the south we generally consider the people in the coastal provinces a little thrifty or even stingy. I can't imagine this was always the case because in the 17th century (which we call "de gouden eeuw" meaning "the golden century") it were those provinces that were most wealthy as a result of all the overseas trading...

IMO some of the expressions seem to have at least some truth, because many Dutch are careful with money. And some Dutch can be a little too direct when it comes to voicing their opinions.

In the 17th century foreigners considered what was to become the Netherlands a bit of a mess with a number of different churches, too much freedom for women, bourgeoisie and lack of hierarchy. That may have been the origin of expressions like Dutch wife.
Come to think of it, some foreigners still consider the NL a bit of a mess with things like our soft-drugs policy...
Interesting.

I'd like to think my country could teach you a few lessons, but we are at least equally hopeless.

Immigration is my big bugbear at the moment. It was bad enough having all the Celts about, telling us how they are proud of their homeland, whilst living amongst us, but now it's Eastern Europeans in huge numbers.

Alan

(Am I right in thinking we have gently wandered into 'Meaningless Drivel')