Bottle Shock

Anything to do with Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Bottle Shock

Post by Andy Velebil »

Admin2 Note: Split from the thread in the following link.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?&p=15272#15272][b]Here[/b][/url] Derek T. wrote:I used to be slightly paranoid (yes, hard to believe isn't it) about "bits" getting into the decanter or my glass. I thought of these particles as some sort of dirty contaminating substance that had to be completely eliminated in order to allow me to enjoy a fine VP. I don't really care too much these days and I think that has come from visiting Portugal a number of times and being served VPs that are popped and poured without ever seeing a decanter let alone a fliter.

That said, I do tend to filter using the Jdaw TDK or my Screwpull stainless steel port decanting funnel. I don't worry too much if a few bits get through but draw the line at cloudiness, which I don't like and would cause me to filter a number of times until it's gone.

So here is a question: Bottle Shock - which I have always understood to be what happens when a VP is badly shaken and all of the sediment goes into suspension in the liquid leaving it very cloudy. Do coffee filters eliminate the entire effects of Bottle Shock or is the wine still damaged in some way from the experience?

Derek
Probably best to have its own thread on that discussion...but bottle shock is very different than shaken up sediment.

BS happens when the bottle is agitated for some time, usually extended periods. Like driving several hours in a car, a long airline flight, etc. Typically the wine doesn't show as well if it suffered BS. How long it takes to recover can vary.

My brother, who works at a winery, made this observation when driving 8-9 hours to a few events with a bunch of wine in the car. The ones they opened the sameday they drove didn't show as well. They were muted and resembled a "closed" phase. The next day all the bottles opened showed better, granted not a lot but there was a noticable difference.

Typically, I try to ship my wines ahead of time when practical, but only if the travel is more than a few hours and I plan to open them the same day I travel. If its a short flight and I'm opening them the next day or later, then I don't worry too much about it. International flight, I prefer at a couple days or more to settle, but that is not always practical.

For wines just shipped via boat, then trucked to my house or local wines store, I prefer at least six months. I've found the extended time on a boat really seems to hammer the wine and it takes some time to recover. The same goes for wines that are just bottled and suffer from Bottling Shock. As the bottling process is very hard on wine, and why most wineries (at least in California) don't release the wines until 4-8+ months after being bottled.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

one of the spectator guys also mentioned that the sulfites used to keep the wines is apparent if the wine hasn't had time to settle yet. The sulfites will give the wine a "bottle shock" and will settle after a few months after bottling.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: Bottle Shock

Post by Conky »

ADV wrote:For wines just shipped via boat, then trucked to my house or local wines store, I prefer at least six months. I've found the extended time on a boat really seems to hammer the wine and it takes some time to recover. The same goes for wines that are just bottled and suffer from Bottling Shock. As the bottling process is very hard on wine, and why most wineries (at least in California) don't release the wines until 4-8+ months after being bottled.
This is (another) subject I simply have no knowledge of, and read with interest.

I copied the above quote as it reminded me of how Port began. All those boat journeys from Portugal to England.

I can just imagine, at the beginning, the expert explaining to the curious, "Yes, we've put brandy in the wine to allow it to travel better. But it also really benefits from a rest when it's got here, maybe its some type of bottle-shock, but just lay it down for a while, it'll be worth it"

What a trend they started.

Alan
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Bottle Shock

Post by benread »

Conky wrote:
ADV wrote:For wines just shipped via boat, then trucked to my house or local wines store, I prefer at least six months. I've found the extended time on a boat really seems to hammer the wine and it takes some time to recover. The same goes for wines that are just bottled and suffer from Bottling Shock. As the bottling process is very hard on wine, and why most wineries (at least in California) don't release the wines until 4-8+ months after being bottled.
This is (another) subject I simply have no knowledge of, and read with interest.

I copied the above quote as it reminded me of how Port began. All those boat journeys from Portugal to England.

I can just imagine, at the beginning, the expert explaining to the curious, "Yes, we've put brandy in the wine to allow it to travel better. But it also really benefits from a rest when it's got here, maybe its some type of bottle-shock, but just lay it down for a while, it'll be worth it"

What a trend they started.

Alan

...even better, why don't you buy it from us now but leave it for your kids. We can assure you they will appreciate it in 20+ years when you are dead!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

So, spraying down the crowd like Lewis Hamilton at Monaco with port is not good for a tasting?