2008 - small crops can be very good..

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

2008 - small crops can be very good..

Post by uncle tom »

The Symington's 'Douro Insider Report' for May has finally been published.

A cool month by historic standards, with less than ideal fruit set. However, small crops often produce very good wines...

Worth a read:

http://www.thevintageportsite.com/vinta ... .aspx?pg=5

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The Accuweather forecast for the second half of the month shows good hot dry weather :sun:

We need a 'fingers crossed' emoticon..!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:The Accuweather forecast for the second half of the month shows good hot dry weather :sun:

We need a 'fingers crossed' emoticon..!

Tom
It reads like a horrible month if they were growing pinot noirs!! =)

But with the cold weather, I would imagine higher acidity in the 08 campaign.

Here's my crossed fingers to a blazing hot second portion of the month.

Is copper sulfate blue? =)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Yes - why?

Tom
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:
Yes - why?

Tom
since they spray it on the grapes...
and grapes absorb the flavors of the surroundings.

does it attribute to the dark colors of the grape
and sometimes the bottle funk?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The quantities are extremely small, it is applied before the grapes are any size, and being readily soluble is quickly washed off by rain. The colour is only really noticeable when the concentration is very high.

From a colour standpoint, no chance. Otherwise, who knows? - but it's been used for over a century without complaint!

Copper sulphate is effectively odourless, and has a distinctive metallic taste when concentrated. When used as a fungicide it is applied topically and functions in a non-systemic manner.

Personally, I am extremely doubtful that enough would find it's way into the grapes to impart a discernible note.

Tom
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

uncle tom wrote:Copper sulphate is effectively odourless, and has a distinctive metallic taste when concentrated.
That’s impressive (if somewhat scary) knowledge!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:
uncle tom wrote:Copper sulphate is effectively odourless, and has a distinctive metallic taste when concentrated.
Jacob,

In time you will realise that this is not the scariest thing that Tom knows :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

JacobH wrote:
heh CuSO4 used in the benedicts test to test for simple sugars and bierut tests for proteins.

I was curious to hear they use it as a fungicide, since the grapes would probably contain glucose leading to copper sulfate to turn red sediment.
or purplish in protein solution.

didn't realize it was so useful =)..
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

This Accuweather report that you quote from time to time ... do you know precisely where that weather station is located?

Given the extraordinary size of the Douro region, it would be fascinating to see where this report originates. For example, if near Regua ... then what about the entire Douro Superior, not to mention the heart of the Cima Corgo and vice versa could be said. That is why I wonder about this.

Thanks.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

do you know precisely where that weather station is located?
I believe they collect data from an airfield at Vila Real, which is quite high up and exposed. In summer, both temperature and humidity are likely to be a little higher at Pinhao.

I've noticed that some online weather forecasts that claim to be for Regua or Pinhao are identical to Vila Real forecasts, although there are genuine weather reports for Regua.

I have clocked evidence of some weather recording at Pinhao (principally cloud cover) which is made available to pilots; but the data excludes temperature, presumably because the aviators don't need it.

I have no idea where exactly the station is, or who is operating it. One would presume that if cloud cover is being measured, temperature and rainfall would also be recorded. It would be interesting to get a data feed, if possible.

Tom
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:
JacobH wrote:
Jacob,

In time you will realise that this is not the scariest thing that Tom knows :wink:
By some considerable distance
Port is basically a red drink
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm sure some of the producers have wireless temp/humidity equipment in their fields. It would be great if at least a couple of them would put that info on-line in real time. its quite easy to do.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

Here what it looks like on grapes at harvest time...

http://www.frederickblais.com/pics/disp ... =67&pos=21
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Frederick Blais wrote:Here what it looks like on grapes at harvest time...

very cool thanks for the pics!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:Here what it looks like on grapes at harvest time...

Good thing fermentation kills everything :lol:
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Those pale blue smudges on the grapes are actually coloured by copper carbonate.

The copper sulphate is applied with lime (Bordeaux mixture) with the result that some chemical reaction occurs between the lime, atmospheric carbon dioxide and the copper sulphate, to produce some residues of insoluble copper carbonate and calcium sulphate. Some calcium carbonate (chalk) will also be present.

Being insoluble, those residues will tend to be left behind when the lagares are run off, and when the wines are subsequently racked.

Copper sulphate is quite hygroscopic, and readily soluble. You would only find residues on the grapes if there had been no rain at all between spraying and harvest.

Tom
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

From the internet weather reports, the weather appears to have been pretty close to forecast, and the forecast for the next 16 days continues to be close to ideal.

So far, the year is looking a bit like 2000, with a wet spring provoking a small crop, followed by good early summer weather. IF the weather behaves itself, a top vintage could be on the cards.

As the Symington site has yet to post its June report, it would be very helpful to get some feedback from the front line at this point.

Tom
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Just returned from a couple of days in the Douro Valley (Pinhao), where it was very hot. Temperatures well over 40C during the day. This kind of weather was very welcome, because it had been unusually cold up until a couple of days before we arrived. If the weather remains hot and dry now, it could be a very good growing season.
uncle tom

Re: 2008 - small crops can be very good..

Post by uncle tom »

The Douro Insider Report for June has now been published - includes a good explanation of the issues and terminology regarding fruit set.

Tom

http://www.thevintageportsite.com/vinta ... .aspx?pg=6
uncle tom

Re: 2008 - small crops can be very good..

Post by uncle tom »

Forecast for the remainder of the month is dry, with good heat in the next few days, followed by slightly cooler conditions toward the end of the month.

Looking further ahead, the hurricane season is looking very quiet, with only one tropical storm of significance on the radar (Fay) - which at the moment looks too small to morph into a major atlantic weather system.

This is looking good!

- feedback from the front line please!!!

Tom