Stay Me With Flagons: Corrections and Comments

Anything to do with Port.
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Stay Me With Flagons: Corrections and Comments

Post by John Danza »

In the thread titled Stay Me With Flagons by Maurice Healy, John Danza wrote:

This thread contains the text of the chapter on Port in André L. Simon’s book Vintagewise, as typed by jdaw1. There will doubtless be errors in the typing, and readers may well have other comments. Please post corrections and comments in the thread Stay Me With Flagons: Corrections and Comments.
John Danza
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: Stay Me With Flagons: Corrections and Comments

Post by John Danza »

Maurice Healy was a close personal friend of Andre Simon and many other of the "movers and shakers" in the English wine business of the 1930s and 1940s. A lawyer by trade, most of his interest in wine was driven by his association with both Andre Simon and AJA Symons, the primary founders of The Wine & Food Society. This association lead him to write several books about wine, with Stay Me With Flagons being his last.

The unusual name is taken from an early English translation of the Bible. The original text was "Fulcite me Floribus, stipate me malis; quia amore lanueo." Through a series of translations, the first part of the text first became "Stay me with flowers", then became "Stay me with flagons", then became "Stay me with raisins". In the Middle Ages, when the Bible was to be rewritten, it was deemed that the word "raisin-cake" was to be substituted for the word "wine". As he explains in the opening chapter, it is from this fairly complicated explanation that he arrived at the title of the book, using "flagons" to mean wine. Throughout his life, Maurice was a very spiritual man.

Maurice was instrumental in the founding of two wine clubs that still exist today. He was an original founder of The Saintsbury Club in 1931, a very exclusive club (50 members only) that consists mostly of authors, lawyers, and doctors. He was also on the original Advisory Council of The Wine & Food Society when it was formed in 1933.

Maurice Healy fell ill in 1942 and died on 9 May, 1943. He was memorialized by Andre Simon in No. 38, the Summer 1943 issue of WIne & Food, the quarterly publication of The Wine & Food Society.
John Danza
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by John Danza »

For some reason, I can't find the original posting that I made. Administrators, did you take it down?

I just received the following from the Penguin Group relative to permissions:
Dear Mr Danza,

Thank you for your email.

I am afraid that I have been unable to trace the original contract or
any other rights information regarding the Stay Me With Flagons by
Maurice Healy. I cannot, therefore, give you formal permission to quote
from this book.

Whilst Penguin have no objection to the use of the extract, we cannot
warrant that such use would not infringe any third party rights, and it
must be at your own risk should you wish to proceed. Should you use the
extract, please include details of the original publication and a
disclaimer in your list of acknowledgements.

Kind Regards,

Mary Fox
Permissions Executive
Penguin Group UK, 80 Strand, London, WC2R 0RL
Fax: +44 (0)20 7010 6702
John Danza
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

John Danza wrote:For some reason, I can't find the original posting that I made. Administrators, did you take it down?
No, I promoted it to the brand new Reference forum.

BTW, the first post in this thread is copied from the wrong place.

And thank-you for typing the text: good port does slither down rather nicely.
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by John Danza »

jdaw1 wrote:
John Danza wrote:For some reason, I can't find the original posting that I made. Administrators, did you take it down?
No, I promoted it to the brand new Reference forum.

BTW, the first post in this thread is copied from the wrong place.
Hi Julian,

When I click on the original link in my first post, I get this error message: "You are not authorised to read this forum." Should I just change that post? I also don't understand about the first post being copied from the wrong place.
John Danza
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes,
I do believe that a couple of my posts in this thread have been deleted..is that the case. If so could you please at least advise me of such, I would appreciate it.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The most recent backup was a little over 24 hours before the hack attack. Posts made in that interval are MIA.