Where to get Port Tongs

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Where to get Port Tongs

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My better half would like to buy me a set of port tongs in the first half of 2009. I know from talking to a number of people on the forum that some have found particular designs or styles more successful than others.

Can anyone recommend a source or style of tongs in particular? Any styles or sources I would be best to avoid? Can anyone offer any other helpful advice?

Thanks.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Where to get Port Tongs

Post by benread »

Have you seen this?

Port tong review on youtube.com

Roy reviews two types and recommends one - including where to purchase with worldwide shipping.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?p=11592#p11592]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Some tongs, such as yours and these, have a ring that is perpendicular to the handles. Others, such as these*, have the ring parallel to the handles. Parallel is better: one can lie the tongs on the cooker, make millimetric adjustments so the gas is heating the right place, and wait a few minutes for the tongs to turn red. The perpendicular model must be held by hand, and our hands are not steady enough over a period of several minutes, so it takes longer, and weariness makes things worse.

* This model comes painted black, for reasons not explained by modern science. If buying these then, before first use, remove the paint, perhaps by heating in an open fire.
New link to picture of tongs with ring parallel to handles.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I have a pair of tongs (sourced from the Noval shop) that has the parallel format. While easy to heat on a gas ring, this design seems to be fundamentally flawed, as it will only work if all bottle necks are exactly the same diameter as the ring on the tongs - which they are not!

Whichever orientation the tongs have, the key design requirement is that the jaws of the tongs either overlap, or form a slightly elliptical shape when brought together, so that they can grip bottle necks of any diameter.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Ok, so I’ve just watched Roy’s YouTube video and have some light disagreements.

If you can heat the tongs in the embers of a wood fire (ideal) or of a barbecue, then Roy’s recommendation of tongs may well be better. But Roy says, at 2”²40″, ‟we have a gas stove which does not get it hot enough”. Sure, one can’t get Roy’s preferred perpendicular tongs hot enough with a gas ring, because one has to hold the tongs very steadily above the burning ring. But parallel tongs, which can be lain on a stack of books or blocks by the stove, can be heated sufficiently. So the choice of tongs depends crucially on how they will be heated.

Also, Roy left the capsule intact whilst tonging. I find that this risks the wax or plastic being touched by the hot tongs, which then gets messy. So I de-capsule before tonging.

You pays your money; you takes your choice.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:So the choice of tongs depends crucially on how they will be heated.
I think that's the key.

Roy also mentions that the parallel tongs don't grasp the bottle neck as well as the perpendicular tongs. That strikes me as a manufacturing defect, and not actually a problem with the design. I don't see any reason that parallel tongs couldn't grasp the neck of the bottle just as well as perpendicular tongs if they were manufactured correctly.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:I have a pair of tongs (sourced from the Noval shop) that has the parallel format. While easy to heat on a gas ring, this design seems to be fundamentally flawed, as it will only work if all bottle necks are exactly the same diameter as the ring on the tongs - which they are not!
Tom
Tom
I agree 100%. I have both and use the parallel ones less than 5% of the time, if that. They are not made to fit most Port bottles as the opening, when closed together, leave to much space between the tongs and the neck. They tend to only fit the very base of the neck, well under where the upper level of fluid is in the neck. Not a good thing to say the least. I've only found they work good on certain old Taylor bottles that had really large necks (They no longer use those type of bottles since the late 1960's or early 70's.

I've used the perpendicular ones almost exclusively as they fit the necks WAY better of almost 95+% of bottles out there. These types also seem to be FAR better built than the parallel ones. Almost all the parallel ones made are for decoration only and not for repeated heating. I've had a friend that had a pair literally fall apart as he was heating them. I never recommend the parallel unless they are for decaration only.

I've also never had an issue heating either one when used. It's a silly arguement to say we don't have steady enough hands to heat a certain type...darn rubbish that is :roll:
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

why not create "tongs" using a flexible piece of woven steel cable, equipped with a handle on each end? this would make it easy to heat, and application would be a garrot around the neck of the bottle.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

As in the YouTube video Improvised Port Tongs?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:As in the YouTube video Improvised Port Tongs?
Thanks, yes, similar to that, but that is also pre-shaped. I was actually thinking something more flexible than even that... Maybe I'll swing by homedepot and pick up some stuff.

What kind of bottles have people practiced on?
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

OK. To be tested at the Christmas Emergency?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:OK. To be tested at the Christmas Emergency?
I have some time free coming up, so I will spend a morning and make a few variants. I'm basically thinking of a very short, metal jump-rope.
JoshDrinksPort
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

So thanks for the advice to date. Very interesting. In summary, it seems that the best type to buy are the perpendicular style and the best place to buy them is from the Noval shop in VNG.

I do like the idea of making an improvised pair from steel braid and might also give that a go - or the heavy gauge wire improvised tongs that the YouTube video demonstrated.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

AHB wrote:So thanks for the advice to date. Very interesting. In summary, it seems that the best type to buy are the perpendicular style and the best place to buy them is from the Noval shop in VNG.

I do like the idea of making an improvised pair from steel braid and might also give that a go - or the heavy gauge wire improvised tongs that the YouTube video demonstrated.
I'm picking up supplies tonight and trying it on an empty bottle, so I'll keep you posted how it goes.
JoshDrinksPort
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

ANNOUNCING!

Post by SushiNorth »

The Port Garrotte

The one on the left, made of heavy duty braided steel works well. It was successful on two bottles, at two very different sizes of neck. It is more effective on larger necks than smaller, the smaller neck was not clean all the way across. It would work MUCH better if I had someone holding the bottle. It was very easy to heat up on a gas range, took 1:30 - 2:00 minutes. While it stiffened a little after three or four heatings (I played around with it a bit), it did not become rigid. It's major downside is that it does not want to remain at the looped diameter of a small neck, it prefers to flip the bottle or open vertically. A slightly smaller gauge may have worked better to solve this problem. Total materials were about $6.

The one on the right, made of solid wire, deformed rapidly. I was not able to pull it taught around the neck, and it failed, twice, to open the QH bottle.
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Very interesting.

Can the wire be partially untwisted, such that it can be threaded through itself before being attached to the handles? That might reduce the rotation torque applied to the bottle.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:Very interesting.

Can the wire be partially untwisted, such that it can be threaded through itself before being attached to the handles? That might reduce the rotation torque applied to the bottle.
It probably could, I spent a while trying to find ways to improve the layout of the wire and the biggest hurdle was that I wanted to keep them as close as possible at the cross-over point and (very important) I needed to make it easy to put them over the bottle, pull the loop taught, and then release it quickly so that a cloth could be applied. I suspect it would be tricky to release quickly if I looped it through but it would certainly address the torque issue. Also, I found that having the ability to freely position the cable on the gas range was very helpful in terms of getting it heated up.

Another option was to put a small metal ring on it to hold them crossed. The ring would normally be by the handles, but when the loop was pulled it would keep the wire close together. Edit: Yeah, that helps a bit. On a side note, though, not all bottles seem susceptible. Tried one that just wouldn't crack.
Last edited by SushiNorth on 06:20 Sat 13 Dec 2008, edited 1 time in total.
JoshDrinksPort
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Found the guy who posted that video -- his improvised tongs were use-once, and preshaped for the neck. That explains why I had trouble using them in a flexible format.
JoshDrinksPort
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

AHB wrote:In summary, it seems that the best type to buy are the perpendicular style and the best place to buy them is from the Noval shop in VNG..
I believe StevieCage once bought a tong from the Noval shop and it fell apart after one or two tries. I have one from the Graham's lodge (the type that you fit around the neck from the top) and am very happy with it. I usually use a gas burner (the one that you can also use to caramelize your creme brulee) to heat it. Works fine. And it came in a beautiful wooden case.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I have a pair from Taylors don't know if they are better than others though.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Julian sent me a PM but I did not see any notice about it until visiting here this evening. The best manufacturer of Port tongs will not sell them directly to anyone who is not a retailer. I suggest anyone who wants the best pair on the market ... reasonably priced too ... can buy them from Vinologia. Ask for either Gustavo or Jean-Phillipe and it would be nice if you'd let 'em know that I mentioned their shop in re: to the Port tongs they sell. They will ship anywhere in the world and I know dozens of folks who have purchased from them with great satisfaction. I've had mine for years.

Additionally, I own two different pairs of typical Port tongs and although I've opened bottles with them, basically they both suck in comparison to the much better manufactured perpendicular type that has been discussed and used in my simple video. That youtube bit was done because one of the :ftlop: guys emailed me to let me know that there had never been a Port tong demonstration on youtube and he thought I should do one. It was casual and very basic as I am sure you can tell, but although I can't think of much else that i was first at ... well, there you have it. Taylor stole the show and has been doing my Port decanting since she was 28 months of age. :oops:
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I just got some from Taylors and I might get some more if you tell me how much you would be willing to pay, since we would have to pay the postal fee as well.

They work fine, the only thing bad about it is the fact that the wooden handles are just glued to the iron and this connection will break after some heatings. I drilled a small whole into the handle and put a bolt through it. Now its perfect.

Axel
Attachments
Port tongue.JPG
Port tongue.JPG (65.23 KiB) Viewed 27923 times
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please could somebody post a video of how to heat the perpendicular type on a gas stove?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:Please could somebody post a video of how to heat the perpendicular type on a gas stove?
Um, turn on fire, insert tongs :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The pic of the Taylor's pair from Axel is almost identical to the Vinalogia ones. These are made for repeated use, where the cheap parallel ones are mainly decorative. Becareful though, as i do believe Taylors also sells the cheaper parallel ones too.

Here is a pic of Sean demonstrating, but you don't have to hang the tounge out :lol: . Just use a torch and keep slowly turning the tongs to heat all the way around, it takes about 5-10 minutes of heating this way to get them glowing red hot. ( BTW, the tongs Sean is holding are from VInalogia...where I bought mine a few years ago via online and had them shipped to California. They arrived no problems).
Attachments
tong.jpg
tong.jpg (201.42 KiB) Viewed 27910 times
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

No. I have a cooker, a stove. The sort of thing on which one puts a soup-filled pot, or, better still, a frying pan full of eggs and bacon and black pudding.

To heat parallel tongs on such a stove is easy. Tongs are rested flat on surface, perhaps raised by rested on a book on the surface. Five minutes later the tongs will be hot. Easy-peasy pudding and pie.

To heat perpendicular tongs is harder. My understanding is that one stands there, holding the tongs, hands being warmed about two feet above the flame, the tongs not quite remaining still as a tremor grows. Is there a better technique for heating perpendicular tongs on a stove? Please demonstrate.