Crusted ports from the nineties

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Crusted ports from the nineties

Post by uncle tom »

In his book, Mayson notes that during the 1990's, Crusted port was briefly (and presumably accidentally) left off the list of ports approved by the IVP.

But did this cause a cessation of production?

Old crusted port is very thin on the ground - most gets drunk to near extinction within a year or two of release, and only a handful of old bottles can be found on wine-searcher.

I have established that there was a Wine Society crusted from 1990 (shipper?) and a Dow from 1997, but I can't find any references to specific crusted ports from any year in between.

What have people got tucked away? - are there Crusteds from every year in between, or was there a gap?

Tom
Last edited by uncle tom on 09:03 Wed 28 Jan 2009, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Joost
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Re: Crusted ports from the nineties

Post by Joost »

Haven't had that much experience with Crusted Port, but I still have a Graham Crusted bottled in 1998...

Santé,
Joost
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

uncle tom wrote:In his book, Mayson notes that during the 1990's, Crusted port was briefly (and presumably accidentally) left off the list of ports approved by the IVP.

But did this cause a cessation of production?

Old crusted port is very thin on the ground - most gets drunk to near extinction within a year or two of release, and only a handful of old bottles can be found on wine-searcher.

I have established that there was a Wine Society crusted from 1990 (shipper?) and a Dow from 1997, but I can't find any references to specific crusted ports from any year in between.

What have people got tucked away? - are there Crusteds from every year in between, or was there a gap?
Tom, do you know how many shippers are currently producing crusteds? The only ones I have seen for sale are Dows and Grahams. Is anyone outside the Symington Partnership producing them?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I know Churchill also produces Crusted (I've had the 1998, 1999 and 2000, all very decent), but other than that, I couldn't tell.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

do you know how many shippers are currently producing crusteds?
Dow, Graham and Churchill are the best known, but Fonseca has recently joined the fray with a 2004, and Derek and I spied a stash of Niepoort 2005's at their lodge last year.

Martinez 1989 and Calem 1987 are also known to me, but I don't know if they have bottled more recently.

Churchill told me last year that they currently bottle Crusted every year, but don't rush to release it - so far they have released stock up to 2002, but as it's close to four years since the 2000 hit the shelves, the 2003 can't be far away..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Sorry not the 90's, but...

I have a case of Taylor Crusted for I think '78 or '79. A little spirity, but enjoyable with a hint freshness and quite sweet. Everyone seems to enjoy it and has the green glass bottle I think too.

Have a few of Dow 1997 Crusted as well. Quite a value I must say!
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

So far I've only had the Churchill 2002 (which I found rather disappointing) and the Dow's 1997 (which I found enjoyable with loads of distinctive fruits).
I do have a Taylor's 1974 tucked away though.
Frequently Ask Questions
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've seen or drunk current crusted ports from Dow, Fonseca (who started in 2001) and Grahams.

I've also drunk historic crusted bottlings from Martinez (bottled 1968) and Noval (bottled 1962).

Sadly, my drinking experience can't help answer the question about the possible gap in the 1990s.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Fonseca (who started in 2001)
I've never seen that offered - I wonder where they sold it?

~~~

My older Crusteds comprise Graham '85, Dow '78, Dow '64, a Noval '62 - but bottled in '65 - and a Graham '41.

I think that before the SQ habit took hold, Graham and Noval (and possibly others) used to be in the habit of blending their best juice in non-declared years and marketing it as a Crusted rather than a Vintage port.

There is something rather appealing about the notion of houses like Noval and Vesuvio blending a second wine each year, and marketing it as a single vintage Crusted port - at a sensible price of course.. :D

There is a massive gulf between the profit per bottle they can make from Vintage port, and that which can be realised from any other product - so a second wine would seem logical; I wonder if they've given it much thought..?

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

uncle tom wrote:
Fonseca (who started in 2001)
I've never seen that offered - I wonder where they sold it?
It was sold through Majestic Wine Warehouse - I bought a dozen at the time they released it (I think this was three years ago) but only have one or two left having enjoyed them considerably.

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I was in Majestic in Glasgow on Friday and they had Fonseca Crusted at what I thought was a reasonable price -£11-13 per bottle I think. I think it was dated 2005.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:I was in Majestic in Glasgow on Friday and they had Fonseca Crusted at what I thought was a reasonable price -£11-13 per bottle I think. I think it was dated 2005.
That's about what I paid down south. At that price, I consider it to be a worthy contender for buying a case and tucking it away in storage for 20 years. Port at almost vintage quality for £11 a bottle! That's almost as good as Morgan '91!!

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I agree. They only had a few loose bottles so I didn't buy any as I think it will be too brutal to drink now. I may look on their website and order a case. Do Majestic sell IB?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I don't think that Majestic sell IB, but don't be too put off by the youth of the blend. I have found these to be as enjoyable in their youth as, say, the 1995 Roeda single quinta wines and certainly more enjoyable than I currently find the 1998 Vesuvio.

But I do think they will be much better in 10-20 years.