Taylor 55 decanting time

Anything to do with Port.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Taylor 55 decanting time

Post by Overtired and emotional »

I have just one bottle which I would like to drink soon. I would expect that it needs, say, five hours, but after looking at Alex's tasting note wonder if longer is advisable? The bottle has been well cellared, and has a good level, mid neck or so. Any advice?
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Taylor 55 decanting time

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

How quickly would you expect to drink the contents of the bottle?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Well, that was another thought. Say, over two or three evenings. Do you think that too ambitious?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

From a very personal point of view, this is exactly how I like to drink my port and you should have no problems with the Taylor '55 lasting the distance over three nights provided you keep it at cellar temperature.

In which case, I would recommend decanting the bottle about 2-3 hours before your first sip and then perhaps taking 4 hours or so over the first night to see how it develops. (If you can, take a small sip the following morning and see what the port is like after about 12 hours in the decanter.) Then follow the development of the port over the next couple of evenings.

And, most of all, as you pull the cork pray that you do not catch the warning smell of TCA. We shall all be keeping fingers crossed for you.

Alex

Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Many thanks. I shall try to remember to track the various stages.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

That has been an interesting experience.

When I drew the cork there was a curious burnt whiff which blew away immediately on decanting. The colour was deeper, towards ruby, than I had expected for a wine of this age. Three hours later there was not a lot of fruit but immense power and depth. At this stage, the wine inspired respect rather than love.

Twenty four hours later, it was a different tale. The fruit, now showing slightly on the nose, was overwhelming in the glass. Still immense, but showing a gentler side which had not been evident on Saturday night.

This evening (Monday) the fruit has slightly faded, but it remains a powerful but very well balanced port. It slips down a little more easily. I have decided to retain a small glass for tomorrow evening.

Thank you, Alex, for some very good advice. Had I been in company, there could have been a temptation to drink it all on he first night, for fear of deterioration, but that would have been a big mistake. There is, of course, the regret that the bottle is now gone. It would clearly have lived on for years. Well, you can't have everything.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Final glass on Tuesday remained very well balanced and agreeable. I did not expect it to last so well.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Overtired and emotional wrote:That has been an interesting experience.

When I drew the cork there was a curious burnt whiff which blew away immediately on decanting. The colour was deeper, towards ruby, than I had expected for a wine of this age. Three hours later there was not a lot of fruit but immense power and depth. At this stage, the wine inspired respect rather than love.

Twenty four hours later, it was a different tale. The fruit, now showing slightly on the nose, was overwhelming in the glass. Still immense, but showing a gentler side which had not been evident on Saturday night.

This evening (Monday) the fruit has slightly faded, but it remains a powerful but very well balanced port. It slips down a little more easily. I have decided to retain a small glass for tomorrow evening.

Thank you, Alex, for some very good advice. Had I been in company, there could have been a temptation to drink it all on he first night, for fear of deterioration, but that would have been a big mistake. There is, of course, the regret that the bottle is now gone. It would clearly have lived on for years. Well, you can't have everything.
That's very much how I remember it from the Christmas Offline (although, due to a lack of pacing myself, I couldn't quite enjoy it as much as I should have done). Do copy your thoughts into the TN section :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Overtired and emotional wrote:Thank you, Alex, for some very good advice.
I'm absolutely delighted that it worked out so well for you.

Thank you for posting your notes. I rarely get to drink Taylor '55 so it was a pleasure to have the chance to live vicariously through your thoughts and comments.

Alex