Drying decanters

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Drying decanters

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=22945#p22945]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:After washing in hot water, some of my decanters dry very quickly. Others, in particular the one holding the Warre Quinta da Cavadinha 1986 currently being consumed, seem to acquire a ‘mist’ that takes many days to dry.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=22947#p22947]Here[/url] Andy V wrote:I have one decanter that does the same thing, the rest don't...wierd!
Please, what causes decanters to dry quickly (or indeed, slowly)?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Drying decanters

Post by DRT »

I use a decanter dryer, which is basically just a vertical metal rod with a rubber stopper on the end which holds the decanter upside down. When not drying decanters it is used to hold kitchen roll.

I find that the best way to get them dry and avoid the mist is to do the final rinse with very hot water.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The old favourite method of drying decanters is to turn it upside down and point a hairdryer into it.

Personally though, I'm not too bothered if they stay a little misty - a dry decanter can sometimes smell a bit musty after a while, while a damp one seems to stay fresh.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I use a decanter dryer similar to that described by Derek, and rinse with extremely hot water. And, for all of my decanters except one, dryness is achieved in minutes. But one resists, acquiring a gentle mist that takes days to evaporate.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:I use a decanter dryer, which is basically just a vertical metal rod with a rubber stopper on the end which holds the decanter upside down. When not drying decanters it is used to hold kitchen roll.
I've been thinking about acquiring one of these but I've always been a bit worried about their robustness. Are they solid enough that you can leave a decanter to dry without worrying too much? Would one of the ones which has a ring into which the decanter's neck is placed be better?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The ring is better, but only for decanters that are round with a gently sloping neck. Square and square-shouldered decanters (i.e., square when seen from top or from side) work less well with the ring.

And yes, they are quite strong enough that a decanter can be left on them safely.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:they are quite strong enough that a decanter can be left on them safely.
This is sadly not the case for magnum-sized ship's decanters. Ask mine, it toppled over and broke its neck :crying:

Derek

Note: Possible apostrophe crime "its". I never can remember that one.
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

DRT wrote:Note: Possible apostrophe crime "its". I never can remember that one.
Fear not, it's right

Btw, I do love the captain's decanter. They oughta write a song about it. Fat Bottom Carafes...
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I use a very small sock-like net bag filled with what are apparently magic crystals that my wife purchased for me from Wine Enthusiast.

These crystals are bright blue when "charged" (read also as: dry) and a soft ruby red when "expended" and in need of recharging. To recharge, simply throw the whole thing in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Presto! Bright blue and ready to go again.

These magic crystals apparently suck up moisture like a turbo-charged sponge, because leaving one of these devices hanging in a decanter overnight after a good thorough rinsing (and vigorous shake to get out as many drops as possible) leaves the decanter bone dry and completely clear.

The instructions say to recharge the crystals immediately after use and store them in the provided resealable plastic bag. But I assume one could also store them in a depleted state and simply recharge them before use.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Are the magic crystals utterly tasteless?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I can detect no odor remaining in the decanter whatsoever, or from the crystals themselves, but if concerned one could ensure that the sock-like net bag hung in the decanter without touching the sides or bottom.

Since the crystals are well-contained within the very small sock-like net bag, none escape into the decanter either. It seems to be a faultless system for drying decanters.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Are these the same crystals to be found in little paper bags inside new shoes and electrical equipment packaging?

If so, we just need to make the little socks 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I do not know for sure, but I'm fairly confident that the answer is no.

I've never seen colored crystals in the little bags of desiccant that show up in various products. However, the little crystals in these small sock-like net bags are decidedly colorful.

Furthermore, the little bags of desiccant found in packaging typically have warnings printed all over them saying that one should not consume them, which makes me think that they are not food safe. Or perhaps more correctly, are actively food unsafe. These decanter dryers are obviously food safe or they would be rather pointless. (Wash decanter after using! :lol: :roll: )
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:they are quite strong enough that a decanter can be left on them safely.
This is sadly not the case for magnum-sized ship's decanters. Ask mine, it toppled over and broke its neck :crying:
Hmm...that’s what I was worried about, particularly for my main one which is quite a tall conical thing. But I think the double use as a kitchen-roll holder has sold it to me :) I’ll just have to leave the decanter to dry in the corner!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The little crystals in little bags that one finds in odd places is normally a substance known, rather oddly, as Silica Gel, (actually porous sodium silicate crystals) which absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, and can be dried and re-used endlessly (although it needs to get quite hot to dry out).

If pure, it should have no ability to cause a taint, but I'd be cautious about putting it loose inside a decanter, as I think it's slightly toxic.

Filling a teabag with the stuff, and dangling it inside the decanter might work..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Uncle Tom: are you able to comment on what causes most decanters to dry quickly, and a few to dry slowly?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

are you able to comment on what causes most decanters to dry quickly, and a few to dry slowly?
All comes down to how the design affects air circulation. The most significant aspect is probaby the width and design of the decanter's mouth, as that will probably influence the van der Waal's forces, and with it the interchange of air, as fluctuating air currents pass across the top of the decanter.

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

So Julian should therefore stand his stubborn decanter in such a way that it is half in the sun and half in the shade. This should then create a forced air movement and result in a dry decanter in a short period of time.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:So Julian should therefore stand his stubborn decanter in such a way that it is half in the sun and half in the shade. This should then create a forced air movement and result in a dry decanter in a short period of time.
I'd recommend an extractor fan.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Air circulation, eh? Aquariums often use a small air pump that one plugs into the wall as a way to aerate (and oxygenate) the water for fish. They even come with a rubber hose. What if one were to aim such a device into their decanter overnight? They are often very quiet, and likely aren't that energy intensive as aquarium owners leave them running forever.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

But some decanters are dry in minutes that doesn’t sound like something dependent on air circulation.

Is the slow-drying decanter coated in a hydrophobic material that causes the water to bunch together into slower-drying mist-appearing droplets? Whereas the fast are hydrophilic, so retain a thin film with commensurately high surface area?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Is the slow-drying decanter coated in a hydrophobic material that causes the water to bunch together into slower-drying mist-appearing droplets? Whereas the fast are hydrophilic, so retain a thin film with commensurately high surface area?
Possibly - glass is a bit wierd sometimes..

Whatever, if the room humidity is less than 100%, the stopper is out, and there is only water inside (nothing hygroscopic in solution) then it WILL, eventually, dry of its own accord.

Tom
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

So far, my decanters have avoided disaster by being placed in a two pint measuring jug in a quiet corner. Once most water has run off, any residue tends to evaporate if left without stopper. That seems also to avoid any musty smells lingering, as noted elsewhere.
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I suppose another way to avoid mustiness (particularly if a decanter is going to be stored for a while) would be to put some bicarbonate of soda in it, after washing, which is quite good at absorbing residual moisture and odour.

Of course, the decanter would have to be rinsed before use, unless you like your Port fizzy!
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Arguably the best means of avoiding mustiness is to refill the decanter as soon as it has been emptied.
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.