Port for sale at auction

Anything to do with Port.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Re: Port for sale at auction

Post by ajfeather »

AHB wrote:
g-man wrote: Did I read the link right on my phone? $300 for a Warre 1961 LBV ? Wow!
That appears to be where the bidding is set to 'open'. Wow indeed.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

ajfeather wrote:
AHB wrote:
g-man wrote: Did I read the link right on my phone? $300 for a Warre 1961 LBV ? Wow!
That appears to be where the bidding is set to 'open'. Wow indeed.
This is the same site that spent well over a year trying to sell the 1937 Warre Colheita for $385/bottle. I offered a more reasonable price periodically, but they insisted that they'd be able to sell them at or near that price.

After about 18 months, they finally stopped trying and moved them into their retail stock where I purchased 4 for $250 each, which is what I'd offered them periodically. :roll: Note: had they accepted my earlier offer, they'd have also made 14% buyer's premium that isn't charged when purchasing from their retail stocks.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

anyone here looking at the 92 stuff on morrell's auction?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

3 full cases of D77 sold just shy of £500 each at Sotheby's on Wednesday (the fourth was unsold). That's a lot of money for approx. 27 bottles of bad wine...
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

djewesbury wrote:3 full cases of D77 sold just shy of £500 each at Sotheby's on Wednesday (the fourth was unsold). That's a lot of money for approx. 27 bottles of bad wine...
i'd take a punt at what looks to be 65$/btl

cheapest i see that here state side is usually 90$
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

g-man wrote:
djewesbury wrote:3 full cases of D77 sold just shy of £500 each at Sotheby's on Wednesday (the fourth was unsold). That's a lot of money for approx. 27 bottles of bad wine...

It's quite a punt. Not sure I've ever had a good one.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:
g-man wrote:

I've had many. In fact I can only recall 2 "bad" ones, and those were both corked so I didn't notice and had to be told by others that they were bad.

$65 for a 36-year old Port from top tier producer and a classic vintage? Yes, please. And I'm not even a fan of Dow.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
g-man wrote:

I've had many. In fact I can only recall 2 "bad" ones, and those were both corked so I didn't notice and had to be told by others that they were bad.

$65 for a 36-year old Port from top tier producer and a classic vintage? Yes, please. And I'm not even a fan of Dow.
yea, I dont recall having one that blew my socks off, but at 65$. I'd take that over any of the recently released vintages @ 80$/btl
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

I can recall four D77s, 3 flawed and finally 1 very very good wine.

I swore off buying any ages ago (along other 77s, to be honest) and would likely not be interested even at $65 p/b (certainly not in size).

What's interesting about it, however, is that on a restaurant wine list, a D77 could easily fetch $250+ per, and I hardly doubt a single bottle would be sent back by the somm.

bonne chance
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

What's interesting about it, however, is that on a restaurant wine list, a D77 could easily fetch $250+ per, and I hardly doubt a single bottle would be sent back by the somm.
Probably because the problem tends to be slight. Those of us who drink VP on a daily basis are more attuned to defects, whereas the occasional drinker might wonder whether a hint of VA was normal, before rejecting a bottle.

I remember the news footage when the space shuttle blew up shortly after launch in 1986. A lady close enough to the camera to be clearly heard asked: 'is it supposed to do that?'
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Chris Doty wrote:

I can recall four D77s, 3 flawed and finally 1 very very good wine.

I swore off buying any ages ago (along other 77s, to be honest) and would likely not be interested even at $65 p/b (certainly not in size).

bonne chance
i've turned back many a bottles from teh 70s.

last one was a fonseca 74 which was just horrid.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

All anyone be attending any of the big London auctions this coming Thursday (12th)?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Not in person, but have placed a few absentees at Bonhams
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Same as Uncle Tom-although being a novice probably means I've made a horlicks of it and I'll either end up with nothing or have to pawn the wife's jewellery!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

although being a novice probably means I've made a horlicks of it and I'll either end up with nothing or have to pawn the wife's jewellery!
There is much to be gained from sharing one's ambitions before bidding at a wine auction. The more seasoned campaigners amongst us have a wealth of information regarding price and relative scarcity, that we are very happy to share..

"To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war" - Churchill
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Probably sage words indeed Tom, especially now in hindsight I've founded I've secured zip (wife will be happy though!). I felt I knew a little bit about prices (albeit with little auction experience), but it would seem that with hammer prices averaging over 20% above upper estimate for the lots I bid on, I've clearly got alot to learn! And no doubt I've been undone by one or two of the frequenters to this Forum-still, I'm not bitter (gnash, gnash)! However, now that I've overcome my initial deflation, I'm looking forward to the next auction-now where's that jewellery....
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

Can anybody provide any direction and guidance with regards to organising delivery from Strackers?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Alex M wrote:Can anybody provide any direction and guidance with regards to organising delivery from Strackers?
Do you mean Straker Chadwick? I used Benelux Shipping before who are keenly priced. Best to speak to them on the phone (chap there is called David); he'll most likely be collecting other items..
Daniel J.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

Many thanks! Any indication of price?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Alex M wrote:Many thanks! Any indication of price?
All depends on how much you've bought and where it's going - Iast time I used them I had six bottles to get from London to Belfast and I think it was around £55. I was very pleased with this as they always pack bottles well and always ship them insured. I dare say it'll be a lot less within Britain (by which I mean mainland UK). Do say I recommended them, I think he sometimes rolls his eyes when I get in touch and tell him the latest complex shipment I need him to make..!
Daniel
Daniel J.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Strakers are very obliging about delivery, and their quoted prices always look modest.

My apology for 'exercise' is progressively walking the coastline, warts 'n' all, which has so far taken me from Cromer pier in Norfolk to St Brides bay in Pembrokeshire (nearly 14yrs to date..)

This means that from time to time I currently find myself driving near or not so far from Strakers either on my way down or back, and am no stranger to collecting both for myself and for others.

My sprained ankle now finally recovered (suffered in June jumping out of a hotel bed with excess enthusiasm, whilst staying in Milford Haven..) I expect to venture down again (weather permitting..) in mid November
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote:I expect to venture down again (weather permitting..) in mid November
Today I had a look at their catalogue for Saturday week. A bit disappointing, save perhaps one lot.
Daniel J.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Today I had a look at their catalogue for Saturday week. A bit disappointing, save perhaps one lot.
Yes, mostly bits and pieces of non-port stuff. The exception is the lot with the lone bottle of Niepoort '75 in, which I would like for a '75 horizontal in two years time.

Bonhams have several stashes in their next sale, but almost entirely stuff I'm up to speed on..
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

uncle tom wrote:the lot with the lone bottle of Niepoort '75
The Berisford is one that I have never heard of, a quick google tells me nothing either.