What are you drinking?

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

What are you drinking?

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I realised today that while we have a thread for latest purchase, we have never started a thread for "What are you drinking now?" - until now.

So what's in your glass tonight? Mine currently has in some Dow 1958, from a bottle which was ullaged down to about 50cl but tastes like a pretty decent colheita and is good enough to keep me going through the evening.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by jdaw1 »

WinesTilSoldOut.com’s Dehesa de Cadozos, Tinta Fino/Pinot Noir, 2004.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:I realised today that while we have a thread for latest purchase, we have never started a thread for "What are you drinking now?" - until now.

So what's in your glass tonight? Mine currently has in some Dow 1958, from a bottle which was ullaged down to about 50cl but tastes like a pretty decent colheita and is good enough to keep me going through the evening.
that's because we post notes on everything we're drinking making this thread kind of moot :nirvana:
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

g-man wrote:that's because we post notes on everything we're drinking making this thread kind of moot :nirvana:
True enough. Perhaps it was because I was drinking something for which I wasn't going to post a note that I thought of this thread. (I thought it would be unfair to post a note on what was clearly a poorly conditioned bottle.)

Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I don't normally do notes on everything I drink, so a thread like this works great for me.

Now, of course, I just have to pick something to open tonight. ;)
Glenn Elliott
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I've just finished a cup of tea - it was excellent. Ty-phoo tea, a classic blend with a high Assam content. Steeped with boiling water for three minutes and a splash of skimmed milk. Drunk from a Denby mug it was full flavoured with a strong malty taste and a healthy tannin structure.

Highly recommended 96/100 or 9/0 on Uncle Tom's scale.
Port is basically a red drink
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I eventually decided to open another bottle of 1994 Delaforce Colheita, bottled in 2002. The first bottle I opened smelled of VA and was quite cloudy, but this one is much better. A very nice bottle for $17.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

too much dry reds .... heh
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

Croft 1982. :FF6666:
Tasting note will be posted.
Frequently Ask Questions
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:I've just finished a cup of tea - it was excellent. Ty-phoo tea, a classic blend with a high Assam content. Steeped with boiling water for three minutes and a splash of skimmed milk. Drunk from a Denby mug it was full flavoured with a strong malty taste and a healthy tannin structure.

Perhaps you drank this too young. From the tannic structure and malty taste I would expect this to be much better in 10 years time and possibly with the ingredients to continue to improve perhaps even for 20 years. One to drink on your 60th birthday, I suggest. :|

uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

:D :D :D

I've just had a skinful of beer on an empty stomach. I am now going to cook for myself. I must remember to NOT, under any circumstances, sit down or put myself in any other position whereby I might fall asleep - before turning off the stove.. :roll:

As for drinking, well, I picked up a couple of house clearance lots for peanuts at an auction yesterday. There's an 'also ran' bottle of '57 claret in there - it's probably rubbish, but there's only one way to find out - and hey! - I've got a Morgan '87 LBV - now there's a rarity - might save that for another day..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

At the time this thread was created I was drinking Vesuvio 1996 with my brother-in-law to celebrate our first Munro of the year.

Tonight I am drinking Stella Artois 4% sitting beside a log fire on my patio 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:
KillerB wrote:I've just finished a cup of tea - it was excellent. Ty-phoo tea, a classic blend with a high Assam content. Steeped with boiling water for three minutes and a splash of skimmed milk. Drunk from a Denby mug it was full flavoured with a strong malty taste and a healthy tannin structure.

Perhaps you drank this too young. From the tannic structure and malty taste I would expect this to be much better in 10 years time and possibly with the ingredients to continue to improve perhaps even for 20 years. One to drink on your 60th birthday, I suggest. :|
By that time it may have gone cold :(
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I opened a bottle of Ferreira 1963 last night; again an ullaged bottle. This one was a little below low shoulder. Because of the poor condition of the bottle, I won't post a note on it in the TN section.

uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Because of the poor condition of the bottle, I won't post a note on it in the TN section.
Surprising how often ullaged leaky bottles turn out to be in great form though - that SW47 that went down so well last xmas had a low shoulder level and turned out to be a physically cracked bottle!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My Ferreria '63 is quite pleasant and I'm certainly enjoying drinking it, but I don't want to post a tasting note as my bottle may not be representative of the overall enjoyment the wine can offer. However, if people generally want me to post these notes with a caveat that the bottle was badly ullaged, then I will do so.

KillerB

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:My Ferreria '63 is quite pleasant and I'm certainly enjoying drinking it, but I don't want to post a tasting note as my bottle may not be representative of the overall enjoyment the wine can offer. However, if people generally want me to post these notes with a caveat that the bottle was badly ullaged, then I will do so.
Yes please
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I just opened a Kopke 40-yr old, and will be opening a 1963 Romariz Colheita tonight.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:I just opened a Kopke 40-yr old, and will be opening a 1963 Romariz Colheita tonight.
double fisting huh..

fiesta fiesta,, cinco de mayo celebration? =)
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I wish... no, as it turns out it was a pre-emptive wake. I just finished the first glass and was called by my boss so that he could tell me I was being laid off.

Guess that's going to cut into my Port purchasing for a while. At least I have a decent cellar to keep me going in the mean time, though!
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Sorry to hear =( ...

I too an unemployed.

.. oh I just noticed, when did i move onto morgan 91?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:I too an unemployed.

.. oh I just noticed, when did i move onto morgan 91?
Presumably when you became unemployed.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:Guess that's going to cut into my Port purchasing for a while.
Sorry to hear that news. Not good. Was it a great surprise? (Not wishing to comment on a public bulletin board would be understandable, and perhaps even recommended.)
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Guess that's going to cut into my Port purchasing for a while.
Sorry to hear that news. Not good. Was it a great surprise? (Not wishing to comment on a public bulletin board would be understandable, and perhaps even recommended.)
It was a surprise in that I wasn't expecting it to happen today, but it wasn't a surprise in the sense that I could see that my group need reorganization. Given the larger structure of the company, the way that we were doing things just wasn't going to survive forever. It was known to be something of an experiment by the company, and sometimes experiments fail.

So it sucks and it wasn't expected, but it also wasn't entirely unexpected.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

g-man wrote:Sorry to hear =( ...

I too an unemployed.
Sorry to hear the news guys, there's a lot of it about at the moment. Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I do see our business picking up slightly in some areas in the UK so things may be starting to bottom out. I hope so.