Good books on port

Anything to do with Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Good books on port

Post by RonnieRoots »

I thought it would probably be useful to start a thread about good port books. Just to see how many there are (or we are aware of) and how they are appreciated. These are the ones that I have at home and enjoy:

Vintage Port - James Suckling
Although terribly outdated it is still a fun book to read

Port - Henrik Oldenburg
Lots and lots of information on the different port houses and on the history of port, which makes it a very useful book. Given that it's from the late '90's, a good deal of the information is already outdated.

Port and the Douro - Richard Mayson
Very informative, well written book. A must for every port fan. Latest update is 2004, so everything is still relatively up to date.

Port - Godfrey Spence
Good for basic information and some details about producers. In desperate need for an update.

Vintage Wine - Michael Broadbent
Although not a specific port book, it should be in the collection of every portlover because of its immaculate collection of tasting notes, starting in the late 19th century. I have the version from 2002, so information up until 2000 is available.

Any others that I should have?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I dont know of any, but I'll second those remarks about Maysons Book. A good read.
And, it goes with the brown leather suite in our lounge! Very thoughtful of him. :D

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Rich, Rare and Red by Ben Howkins - mainly focused on the history of the wine rather than specific wines and vintages like some of the others listed above.

Derek
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Mayson's book is undoubtably the best, but be sure to get the second edition - I do hope he continues to publish further editions.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

Suckling seems to have lost interest in ports, judging by the dearth of stories and general reviews he's done in WS over the past few years. Still, when asked, he's always signalled an intention to update his book (one of these days), and to publish TNs on some older vintages, again, "one of these days". We live in hope.....
bman

Post by bman »

Hallelujah, I'm no longer "cheap ruby"!

Not sure I'm much better off, though.... :?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Good ideas. Broadbent has been my bible, but I have just ordered the Mayson book (Amazon link, .co.uk) and Howkins Rich, Rare and Red: A Guide to Port (.co.uk).
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

If you can get a copy, Alex Liddell's book 'Port Wine Quintas' has a huge amount of information, and some excellent photography. It was published by Sotheby's in 1992

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Port Wine Quintas of the Douro on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.u

Post by jdaw1 »

Port Wine Quintas of the Douro on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Henrik Oldenburg book port has been reprintet i 2004 with more notes.

Tasting details
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Portvin by Henrik Oldenburg on on Amazon.com and Amazon.

Post by jdaw1 »

Portvin by Henrik Oldenburg on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. Much cheaper in the UK.

Amazon also has a link to www.PortesAnciennes.com! (Which isn’t as good as you’re probably hoping.)
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

In Denmark it cost 50 Eur (Oldenborg`s book)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Advice please:
  • Port Wine Quinta's (Used) = £45
  • Portvin (Used) = £25
Are either, both or none worth this amount of money?

Thanks

Derek

PS: I ask this because Jo bought me a "very rare" book about port from Amazon at the knock down price of £80 for my birthday two years ago. I bought a second copy on Ebay 3 weeks later for £5. That copy now belongs to ADV. It was Suckling's book :shock:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Who are the authors?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex Liddle and Henrik Oldenburg respectively
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Liddel's book is reasonably interesting but is not worth £45. I bought mine in a second hand bookshop in Truro for £5.

Don't know the other one.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Liddel's book is reasonably interesting but is not worth £45. I bought mine in a second hand bookshop in Truro for £5.

Don't know the other one.
Fine. Thanks. I'll borrow yours sometime :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
morteno

Post by morteno »

RonnieRoots wrote:Port - Henrik Oldenburg
Lots and lots of information on the different port houses and on the history of port, which makes it a very useful book. Given that it's from the late '90's, a good deal of the information is already outdated.
Derek T. wrote:Advice please:
  • Portvin (Used) = £25
These should be the same, although the edition may vary. Latest is 2nd edition from 2004. Portvin is Danish for Port Wine. It can be bought (new) for £35 in Denmark. The Amazon price of around $100 (.co.uk and .com) is too high. I saw the book recently for about ┚¬25-35 (new) a few weeks ago on Amazon as far as I remember. The posts above indicate the same.

I don't know if the book called "Portvin" is in English. I would expect it to be in Danish because of the title, though.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Portvin is Danish.... Wuuhhuuuu
Portvin = portwine

I mean that the books name is port
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I received a copy of Michael Broadbent's Pocket Vintage Wine Companion for my birthday last week. It is a pocket version of the book "Vintage Wine" that was published in 2002.

The pocket version has new tasting notes for recent vintages and also has many updates to the notes from the original book. The new book was published in 2007 and is well worth £15 to bring this excellent reference set up to date.

Please note that not everything from the larger book has been reproduced, but I have not yet found any obvious gaps in significantly declared years.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Suckling and Maysen's books on the way :)
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:I received a copy of Michael Broadbent's Pocket Vintage Wine Companion for my birthday last week. It is a pocket version of the book "Vintage Wine" that was published in 2002.

The pocket version has new tasting notes for recent vintages and also has many updates to the notes from the original book. The new book was published in 2007 and is well worth £15 to bring this excellent reference set up to date.

Please note that not everything from the larger book has been reproduced, but I have not yet found any obvious gaps in significantly declared years.

Derek
Sounds like a very handy book. Do you know if there is an updated version of the big one too?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I wonder if this affected the first edition, but my copy of the Mayson is badly let down by a lack of proof-reading. There a lots of places with incorrect page-references (or references to “page 00†) and, one place gives the amount of port produced by independent shippers as “L1.5% [check ?]†! Apart from that it’s a great book!
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I think it's about time we had a new book based on some investigative journalism. A good throaty tale of what the bloody hell goes on in the IVDP. Insights into how the big companies are buying up all the independents. The tale of the underpaid worker. A few examples of dodgy dealing and Cartels.

I'd buy it.

Sadly, there's no chance. It's not a big enough subject to encourage an enterprising author to use his skills of coaxing out the stories of the disillusioned, or the whistle blowers, or pay for some inside info.
Plus whoever would consider such a project would of course become a pariah of the Port Industry.

Oh well. :)
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Good books on port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Those going to the Douro in the near future: do yourself a favour and buy Recipes for Port and Douro wines, which is published by the IVDP. A beautiful looking book with great recipes by Portuguese and international chefs, including suggestions for Port and Douro wine pairings. I bought my copy in the (very nice) Quinta Nova shop in the Pinhao railway station. I believe it was around ┚¬25,-.