How goes the vintage?

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Fred,

Thanks for the update. Let us know how your trip is going.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

Fresh news from the field. Ill do it quickly and sorry for mistype due to Portuguese keyboard.

Early 2007 was not easy. Rain removed some pollen from the grapes flowers to cut down early on yields. then more rain brought mildew and odium problems so vineyards had to be helped with sulfur. Then august was cool(for douro) which was good to keep the vines healty with no stress bringing high acidity in the grapes because of cool nights.

Right now the grapes look healty, they are a bit late though. Peak harvest time should start within a week or two. At Niepoort until today only Pinot Noir was harvested and today they did harvest some ungrafted prephyloxerian clone for a group of journalist that wanted to experience it.

They do not fear some rain in a near futre. For wines it looks so far like ideal conditions to make fresh and balance ones, for Port it is too early to say anything until a few days pass.

Im not sure how often Ill update here but this is the news I can give you.

And of course, Charme 2005 and Vintage 2005 are the bests wines I got so far...

Cheers 88)

P.S. Derek, I have not forget you.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Some rain was forecast for this weekend, but that has now susbsided into a cool dry day tomorrow. Otherwise the temperature is ranging around 30C - which is typical for September.

Looking further ahead, a long cold front is forecast to cross the Atlantic next week, but at this point it looks fairly feeble. Behind that we have a subtropical storm 'Gabrielle' which is bouncing off the US east coast at the moment.

This looks set to cross the atlantic, but where it ends up is uncertain - it will probably make landfall - somewhere in europe - around the 18th.

Fred - do the vines need any more rain now, or are the grapes adequately swelled?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

uncle tom wrote:Fred - do the vines need any more rain now, or are the grapes adequately swelled?

Tom
During the week end I was able to take some walks in the vineyards of the douro. I can say that it is not an even situation. On the same vineyards, some grapes were badly affected by mildew as some others were completly dried.

At another one, they stopped using chemicals to kill weeds as too much rain feeding the weeds would have mean using too much chemicals.

Harvest should slowly start today in the Douro after a holiday week-end for most employees and the peek should be early next week and on.

Last night I did taste Vesuvio 2005 cask sample, it was simply superb!! amazing nose of floral and spices, great fruit purity, it has it all. Probably the best young Vesuvio since 2000.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

This wont be of much use, but 10 miles away, it's been a cloudy weekend, but the Sun has broken through today, and the locals are suggesting the week ahead is fine. 80's with a scattering of early morning cloud.

Conky, the Beach Reporter, Vila Nova de Gaia, for The Port Forum!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Thanks for the site reports guys!

Gabrielle seems to be heading northwards - looks more likely to hit the UK than Portugal at this point - probably next Monday.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

The earlier optimism of great weather is early or misplaced. Its cloudy and foggy! Its even made the Portuguese news, but my broken understanding of the language doesn't help much, as to how long it will last! I suppose its more time for catching up on the Forum. Doesn't look good for the Mildew, which from my gardening knowledge on garden plants, is caused by a dry period(that bit usually surprises folk), followed by too much damp. If its affecting the vinyards, this is NOT the weather you want.

Even worse, I suspect she's going to suggest shopping! :roll:

Alan.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan, just remember the weather in Gaia, next to the Atlantic Ocean, is much different than in the Douro valley, some 60 miles inland.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan, I am also quite envious of you as you sit on the shores of Gaia sipping some nice Port. I wish I was there right now, as I feel like a kid waiting for christmas morning to come. A mere 3 more weeks and I will be sharing in the fun you are now partaking in. I can't wait to get back to Portugal in October. Have a great time and be safe.

What places have you stopped in at?
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

About the losses, I had some discussions last night and it is not great news. The average lost is more or so 30%. Plus those who are sorting grapes can loose up to 15% due to grape illness causing the berry to dry, rotten and mildew fruit are also other causes.

Some vineyards are saying they´ll be hardly able to get a small 500kg.

Some pictures I take on my trip have started being post on Niepoort website : http://www.niepoort-vinhos.com/NewsQuintaDeNapoles.html
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Nice pictures Fred. The new winery looks like a must visit. :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just heard from another friend in the Douro at the moment that the Taylor's are not - at the moment - expecting that either 2006 or 2007 will be of sufficient quality and quantity to declare.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

..if true, they may come to regret not declaring 2005..

Tom
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The remains of Gabrielle are now forecast to go way north - nearer to Iceland than the UK.

The US National Hurricane Center has no other storms on it's radar at the moment, which means the risk of a serious washout before the end of the month is now low.

But the temperature is dropping back again, and Friday is forecast to be cool and damp.

Does anyone have any information as to which grape varieties fare better in cooler weather?

I recall that Tinta Amarela rots with little provocation - so I suspect those vines will not be cropping well this year..

Tom
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Last night I had a very good dinner at DOC restaurant with a few winemakers and their wines. I was sitting with Alvaro Castro and his daughter Maria. They are great people, Alvaro is so funny!

Anyway it was a good occasion to talk about the harvest and its quality. Rain is not needed at the moment, it would only break the pace of the harvest. A little bit would not do any harm.

As for the quality of the grapes, yes some like Tinta Armarella are easily affected but they are each year, this is why it is mainly overlooked by many. They are not significantly worst than any other years. At Napoles, being near the Douro and Tedo brings more humidity and does not help. Quality control is then necessery to be done on sorting tables.

It is worrying to see the pace of new grafting and plantings in the Douro this year. I had not seen as much in my previous trip. Things are getting simplier and too similar for a lot of vineyards.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Fred , what do you mean when you say things are simpler and getting too similar in a lot of the vineyards ?
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

It means quite a few things....

For example : lets say 30% of your vineyard is not in good shape. It is cheaper to put the bulldozer and plant from scratch than to keep your old vines and only replace those not good.

Some varieties as Tom points out are more sensitive to illness, so they just uproot them and plant a new plot. Sometimes at least they just keep the root and put a new grafting of a new varietal.

Producers tend to work with 3-5 grapes and overlook the multitude of grapes available in the Douro.

There is an age were vines do not produce as much grapes as younger vines. For some companies aiming on volume before quality, old vines are not a good way of making money, so again they uproot and plant again.

And YES there is some vineyards that are planted with wrong grapes for the area or are in very bad shape and it needs to repair them, but this is not the majority.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Merci Fred .
I find It hard to believe that some producers still match the wrong grapes with the wrong soil . . . :shock:
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Planting grapes by varietial is a relatively new thing for the douro. In the past vineyards were a hodge-podge mix of numerous different grape varietals all mixed together. The farmers couldn't tell you what was what. That still holds true for many Quintas to this day. Although that is slowly changing as sections are replanted.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

After Gabrielle came Humberto, which has developed on shore, and is probably not a major issue.

Next in this year's storm alphabet is Ingrid - a relatively modest affair at present, but tracking between the Florida Keys and Bermuda which makes it a bit of a threat, although it's progress is currently quite leisurely.

With the vintage running late, fair weather in early October may be the last chance to save this year from oblivion. The immediate forecast is looking very autumnal however.

I have previously opined that this year only needed to yield an average vintage to get a declaration - I am increasingly doubtful that will be achieved now.

Tom
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Tom, I don´t know on which website you are checking the weather? on my side, I often check on Yahoo for Vila Real forecast. What I can say is that it is much warmer around Pinhao than what they forecast for Vila Real. The last two days were easily around 35 Celsius.

Harvest for dry wines is almost at its peak at the moment. For the Port, it will start slowly Monday and should reach its peak between 7 and 10 days from now.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Vila Real is the nearest reporting station I can find - I check it through the BBC site.

I just looked up the stats for this station, and notice that it's at 562m - which probably accounts for the difference..

.. well - learn something every day!

What's the mood like on the front line?

Tom
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom I too have tried to find a closer reporting station with no such luck. Bummer becuase the weather can be very different even a few kilometers up river.

If anyone knows where to access Pinhao's weather please let us know.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

This is a bit convoluted, but here is a link to the Jancis Robinson page, quoting Charles Symington on his thoughts for the 2007 Harvest, on the 10th September.

Link

and as far as the weather in Pinhao goes, is this any use?

Link

NB. When you get to Pinhao.Com, click on the weather box in the bottom left corner. It gives you an extensive weather report, but I cant link straight to that page. Maybe some of you Techies can.

Alan
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I must say, I had a trawl through that Pinhao.Com site, but being in Portuguese, it was only making minimal sense. I found the radio page, which has a few local stations you can play on your PC.
I listened to a few. Very Portuguese, and reminded me of last weeks trip. Then I saw 'Radio Duoro Sol'. I thought of vinyards and Quinta's and sunny weather and pressed on the icon.
Out blasted Rhinna's Umberella! Which is an urban London girl with her latest UK number 1 single!!! Amusing. It went native after her record, but the mood was gone. :lol:

Alan