Wishlist

Anything to do with Port.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Wishlist

Post by smisse »

Not sure if anyone started a "wishlist" thread before?

With the entire community on :tpf: I am pretty sure that individuals might have a bottle that to them does not seem special yet it might be for others.

In my example, I've been looking a while for a vintage from 1981 since this is my birth year. As you all know this is considered as one of the worst vintages and should not be valuable from an average portlover's perspective.

If someone has it available, I would love to trade it with another nice bottle or give a reasonable price.

So basically I have 2 questions:
- Should we think about a wishlist (maybe add to the profile with a summary of all)?
- Does anyone has a 1981 vintage available?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Wishlist

Post by Glenn E. »

1) I think a wish list is a great idea.
2) Sorry, I do not have any 1981 Port of any kind. It does seem rather rare.
3) My birth year is 1964, and I'm always interested in VP from that year. Or especially the 1964 Niepoort Garrafeira.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I wish that each of Grandparents had had the money and the foresight to buy me 4 Pipes of Fonseca 1966 to celebrate the first anniversary of my birth.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

smisse wrote:Not sure if anyone started a "wishlist" thread before?

With the entire community on :tpf: I am pretty sure that individuals might have a bottle that to them does not seem special yet it might be for others.

In my example, I've been looking a while for a vintage from 1981 since this is my birth year. As you all know this is considered as one of the worst vintages and should not be valuable from an average portlover's perspective.

If someone has it available, I would love to trade it with another nice bottle or give a reasonable price.

- Should we think about a wishlist (maybe add to the profile with a summary of all)?
http://www.berkeleywine.com/item.html?sku=11174

apparently feist declared 81
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

Glenn E. wrote:1) I think a wish list is a great idea.
3) My birth year is 1964, and I'm always interested in VP from that year. Or especially the 1964 Niepoort Garrafeira.
A nice example: I purchased a few weeks ago a stock from someone including a Nacional from 64 for 200EURO's. They guy had 6 bottles available yet I could only buy 1 since otherwise my budget would be gone. If I would've know that '64 is on your wishlist, I would've informed you about this possibility.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

g-man wrote:

Thanks g-man. I've seen this one as well. However, it is the only Feist available on the market, I'm unsure if it is really a vintage and not a colheita, they only have 1 bottle available and they do not ship to Europe.

Note that cellartracker.com only shows an 81 Colheita from Feist.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

smisse wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:1) I think a wish list is a great idea.
A nice example: I purchased a few weeks ago a stock from someone including a Nacional from 64 for 200EURO's. They guy had 6 bottles available yet I could only buy 1 since otherwise my budget would be gone. If I would've know that '64 is on your wishlist, I would've informed you about this possibility.
Arrgh!

Oh well, next time. I do already have a '64 Nacional thanks to Derek, but I would love to acquire more of them.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

smisse wrote:
g-man wrote:

Thanks g-man. I've seen this one as well. However, it is the only Feist available on the market, I'm unsure if it is really a vintage and not a colheita, they only have 1 bottle available and they do not ship to Europe.

Note that cellartracker.com only shows an 81 Colheita from Feist.
If i find any other 81s then i'll pick it up for you and keep it in the cellar.
Last edited by g-man on 02:14 Fri 25 Jun 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

smisse wrote:Not sure if anyone started a "wishlist" thread before?

I've drunk a "port" from South Africa from the vintage of 1981. 1981 in South Africa was a good vintage for fortified red wines made from the same grapes as are grown in the Douro. It's not Port, but I did enjoy it. If I see another bottle, I'll buy it and let you know.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

http://www.weincontor-hamburg.de/rar.htm

There is a 1981 Port from Barros. I would assume it's a Colheita. Maybe you are interested in that offer and you would like to check it out. I do not have any experience with that shop.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

As far as I know Infantado is the only producer who declared a vintage in 81. It is still available, but apparently not very good.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

RonnieRoots wrote:As far as I know Infantado is the only producer who declared a vintage in 81. It is still available, but apparently not very good.
This is the only one that I know of as well. Yet I only found it for sale in the US. If anyone ever finds it in Europe, I would greatly appreciate a notification!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

smisse wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:As far as I know Infantado is the only producer who declared a vintage in 81. It is still available, but apparently not very good.
This is the only one that I know of as well. Yet I only found it for sale in the US. If anyone ever finds it in Europe, I would greatly appreciate a notification!
Some of us do occasionally travel from the US to the EU with wine suitcases. With sufficient notification, I'm sure something could be arranged. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

My only '81 is a Ferreira LBV - whether that is still any good is anyone's guess.. - I'd happily trade it for an Infantado VP!

I think it's a fair bet that however bad the vintage, someone will now offer a VP for every year that passes - the birth year market is making the one and only 1993 absurdly lucrative..

The last year that was without any VP at all (I stand to be corrected..) appears to be 1973, and I've never seen a VP from 1971 either. Indeed, I'm not sure I've seen an LBV from either of those years..

Anyway, on the subject of wishlist; does there exist, anywhere on the planet, a surviving bottle of the 1811 'comet' vintage?

If so, it really ought to be popped next year... :P

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:apparently feist declared 81
If it is as good as the Feist 1985, just don’t.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

My wishlist is actually rather modest:
Taylor Fladgate 1992
Noval 1997
Niepoort 1997
Dow 1980

Those seem to be more difficult bottles to find, so I've been keeping my eyes open for them.

As for the Birthyear thing, my birth year appears to be represented only by a QH VP(?), which i suspect would only depress me. I'm sticking to Colheita.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

smisse wrote:
Shockingly, there is a bottle of 1981 Infantado Vintage Port available for $61 at a store near me. It appears to be the only bottle of '81 Infantado currently for sale in the US. I would be happy to bring it to the UK with me next week if you would like it. I'll be seeing BMHR on 01-OCT and then several forumites at the 55@55 tasting on 12-OCT.

Please let me know ASAP!
Glenn Elliott
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Glenn,

If you can find room in your luggage, I would very much like to have one bottle of this in my cellar - even though the price is rather high!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

Glenn E. wrote:
smisse wrote:
Shockingly, there is a bottle of 1981 Infantado Vintage Port available for $61 at a store near me. It appears to be the only bottle of '81 Infantado currently for sale in the US. I would be happy to bring it to the UK with me next week if you would like it. I'll be seeing BMHR on 01-OCT and then several forumites at the 55@55 tasting on 12-OCT.

Please let me know ASAP!
Hi Glenn, this would be really superb if you can get me a bottle! :D
If you pm me your bank details, Ill transfer the money straight away.

Maybe Axel can take it to Germany for me?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'll attempt to purchase the bottle today and then bring it with me to London. I'll let you know tonight if I am able to pick it up and we can work out delivery and payment then.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Bad news - I called the store and they cannot locate the bottle. They're going to continue looking and they're also going to call their distributor, but I suspect that the listing on winesearcher.com is simply out of date. :cry:
Glenn Elliott
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

That's unfortunate. I assume the shop was: http://www.buywawines.com
If so they still show it on their website...

Thanks for the effort. Let's hope they find it somewhere.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

SushiNorth wrote:My wishlist is actually rather modest:
Dow 1980
Doh, just slipped through my fingers again. Darn you Dow 1980!
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

smisse wrote:That's unfortunate. I assume the shop was: http://www.buywawines.com
If so they still show it on their website...

Thanks for the effort. Let's hope they find it somewhere.
I went to the store today and I didn't see it in stock either. I talked to the owner, though, and she's going to check with her distributors and see if they have it. She's also going to talk to her husband to find out why it is listed on their web site, as he does their internet updates.
Glenn Elliott
Daniel R.
Cruz Ruby

Post by Daniel R. »

Hi

I have seen Infantado 1981 on sale in Lisbon at 47 Euros, in this shop - http://osgoliardos.com/blog/