Too hot to drink Port

Anything to do with Port.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Too hot to drink Port

Post by Portman »

Here in Washington DC it is just too hot to drink port. My port consumption goes down in the summer normally, but this summer has been a real brute. We normally average 7 days in June with temperatures above 90 degrees F. This summer we had 18, and it feels like nearly every day in July has been a scorcher. Tomorrow it will be 98 degrees and it is the humidity that makes it so oppressive.

I am sticking to beer and air conditioning when it is this hot. I cant wait to get over to Spain and Portugal for some cooler weather. How about where you live? Does the summer weather affect your port consumption?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Too hot to drink Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I live in Los Angeles, a place most people don't realize is a desert. It can get hot here, in the low 100's during certain times of the summer and I still drink Port year round. Like wine, I've found if I slightly chill it in the fridge for a couple hours first it is perfect. Or on really hot days, I get it real cold. By the time the glass starts to warm up too much I'm done with it and it's time for another cold glass. I've found Tawny's work the best for this, but I've also done it with younger VP's as well. I wouldn't recommend it for really old VP's though.
Last edited by Andy Velebil on 03:02 Fri 23 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

What kind of dessert is LA, or did you mean a dessert wine ... mixing your metaphors, so to speak. :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:What kind of dessert is LA, or did you mean a dessert wine ... mixing your metaphors, so to speak. :mrgreen:
Opps, I'm blaming it on our broken air conditioner at work. Normally not a problem, but we're a police station which means we have no windows that open and we can't even prop open the doors for security reasons. And to make it worse the A/C unit in my office is running full-tilt, but blowing nothing but hot air, and they can't shut it off. It's hotter inside than outside right now. :evil:

BTW, fixed :lol:
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Opps, I'm blaming it on our broken air conditioner at work. Normally not a problem, but we're a police station which means we have no windows that open and we can't even prop open the doors for security reasons. And to make it worse the A/C unit in my office is running full-tilt, but blowing nothing but hot air, and they can't shut it off. It's hotter inside than outside right now. :evil:

BTW, fixed :lol:
You'll have to get that police detail at the supermarket or ice rink.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Portman wrote:Here in Washington DC it is just too hot to drink port. My port consumption goes down in the summer normally, but this summer has been a real brute. We normally average 7 days in June with temperatures above 90 degrees F. This summer we had 18, and it feels like nearly every day in July has been a scorcher. Tomorrow it will be 98 degrees and it is the humidity that makes it so oppressive.

I am sticking to beer and air conditioning when it is this hot. I cant wait to get over to Spain and Portugal for some cooler weather. How about where you live? Does the summer weather affect your port consumption?
I tend to drink port all year round. Right now, in the bit of the UK where I live, the temperature is bouncing around 75-80F. When it's like that, I tend to keep a bottle of LBV in the fridge and drink that. I find a cold, very fruity, young port quite refreshing in this sort of heat.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Mark D
Cheap Ruby

Post by Mark D »

Andy has the right idea...chill your port. Easy to drink in the summer.

A tawny or colheita, especially. These are incredible when chilled.

Get a wine cooler. Some smaller versions, like 10-12 bottle holder, can be had for about $100. That, or rest the bottle atop a bed of ice for an hour or two.

Do not deny yourself summer sipping because of the heat!
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

That is what ice cubes are for. :roll:
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:That is what ice cubes are for. :roll:
I wondered where my mom got that idea from :lol:
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

sure it's hot, outside! don't they have a/c in washington? :? :lol:
you've got a friend in cheeses
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Of course we have a/c. In summer we spend a lot of time on our deck regardless of temperature, and most nights will throw fish or meat on the grill and eat outside. I'm saying that my body for some reason doesnt crave the port like it does once the temperature cools down. It is just too rich and incompatible with the environment.

Although last night I was in my cellar and a bottle of 91 Taylor that I have standing up started to call out to me.

I told it to be quiet and wait until I get back from Italy, Spain, and Portugal, where, by the way, I will be drinking port at the Graham lodge with this board's very own Raul Alex, perhaps next week! If any TPFers are in Oporto over the next two weeks send me a message and I would love to meet up with you.

Cheers, Portman