Does anyone know this book?

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Does anyone know this book?

Post by uncle tom »

Trawling through the IVDP site (wondering whether they have actually bothered to list - somewhere - the approved vintage ports for 2005) I came across this page:

http://www.ivp.pt/pagina.asp?codPag=86& ... 6&idioma=1

I don't recognise the second book, but given the subject and number of pages, it looks interesting. However, typically unhelpful, they don't say who wrote it or how you order a copy.

Has anyone got this one?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

It is remarkably unhelpful, isn't it. I presume you should be just privilaged to buy such a book at a high price, without knowing such details. :roll:

On another subject. I haven't visited that site for a while. But last time I did, I dont remember that photographic tag! Our photograph.
Its all over the Net in varying forms and places, but has the IVDP joined in, or did they have it a long ago and my memories failing?

Alan
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Our photograph
If you mean the tilted conical flask with the glass next to it - I think it's their photograph...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Its lots of peoples photograph. I was specifically asking if you, or anyone else, can remember them having it for quite a while?
A few years ago, that site was like a good Port Cellar, antiquated and full of dust. You've also got to remember, no one on this site wants to curry favour with them, resulting in politeness stifling debate. So I dont fear calling them a group of self-interested schemers, who are trying to coax every penny they can out of the general public. They want a good shake down, some transparency and a Moderniser who'll drag them into the 21st Century. They've tried to modernise a bit, and good on them, but its still hopeless. That photograph wasn't part of the old site.
So??? Did they follow us or did we follow them?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

If you look up infoportwine http://www.infoportwine.com/ (where this site now gets a mention) you'll see that the Casa do Douro and IVDP are having a childish spat.

Neither organisation has done much to commend itself of late - if I were the relevant Portuguese government minister, I'd be tempted to create a single new regulatory organisation - and abolish both of them..

Tom
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Thanks Tom,

What a good read. Maybe this might cause some much needed change. Maybe not. If the farmers hold firm, whether they're right or not, it stops the legitamacy of the IVDP. That resulting situation can continue for a while, maybe even a few years, but it will eventually be the catalyst for change. The thing that would stop that, would be a trusted and expierienced power broker who tinkers and persuades. Lets hope they haven't got one!

Imagine, clear and published figures and procedures. Honest pricing and policies on long term storage,etc,etc. All with explanations! Oh well, one can dream.

And good news about the Forums mention.

Alan
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That's a very interesting set of news releases dated 4 August 07, including a nice and fairly balanced reference to this site.

I also hope to goodness that Robin Garr has Roy's permission to post his 2004 review. However, I'm sure he must have otherwise that would be a breach of Roy's copyright.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I don't remember who wrote the book, but I did look into it a couple of times in Portugal. The information is not very useful IMO, most of it being common knowledge for port geeks and already (and better) written down in other books like Oldenborg's 'Port'. If I recall correctly, the photographs in the book are quite beautiful though.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

You mean the book with the iron and bottles.

Yes, my port friend bought it at the IVP in Porto, sept.07
I dont know of he has read it yet.

2 days ago I gave him the www adress for this site, hopefully he will join
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

ac-fast wrote:2 days ago I gave him the www adress for this site, hopefully he will join
Well done ac-fast, we will look out for him.
Port is basically a red drink