IF there was a TPF harvest tour...

Anything to do with Port.

IF there was a tour, how would you like it to be organised?

Option A
No votes
Option B
40%
Option C
40%
Option D
20%

Total votes: 5

uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

IF there was a TPF harvest tour...

Post by uncle tom »

Thought I'd launch this one with a poll - DON'T expect me to organise everything - I have a seasonal business, and this conflicts badly...

Option A

Book rooms in Oporto, tour as a group to VNG and the quintas, maybe indulge a little picking/treading on the way.

Option B

Book rooms in a quinta, tour during the day, help out with the treading in the evening at our host quinta if welcomed to do so.

Option C

Tour quintas as a roving pack armed with sleeping bags - help with picking/treading - doss down and turn up at another quinta the next day.

Option D

I've got a better idea...

Option E

I'd love to, but can't spare the time...

Tom
Last edited by uncle tom on 23:11 Sun 05 Aug 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

OK, I forgot to put option E on the list, and the edit tool won't let me back in...

..blame the Graham '75...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I assumed that option E wasn't legitimate.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I've done the organised thing and enjoyed it very much but Option C sounds like most fun if I were to do it again 88)

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I'm happy with the dossing down. I'm actually happy with options A, B and C. Option D requires me to thrust my imagination at a practical problem which can only lead to very impractical conclusions. My imagination has much better uses than practicality.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I dont do tents or caravans! :D
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

..what about pan tiles - or stars...?

I'll lend you some bug spray!

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I do patios, lawns, sofas, lagars, carpets, swimming pools (only once) and patio chairs.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Having done a harvest tour, I'd be very happy to travel over at a time when things are less hectic for the poor sods who we would want to meet and spend time talking to. If I was able to pick the perfect time of year for my next trip to the Douro then I would probably choose to go in April. Hopefully there would be the chance to catch a fiesta and then meet up with some of the leading characters from the Port trade, who would have the time to be able to have a more relaxed evening or afternoon with us that they would during the harvest.

The next thing that I would love to see are some of the cellars - especially the Noval and Ferreira cellars - and have the chance to mosy around in there, just to see what there is.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

OK, who had the sweep saying that Alex B would choose something different?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

AHB,

You do know your on about Northen Portugal!!!

Folks from the Algarve never travel up! :D

Alan
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

AHB wrote:Having done a harvest tour, I'd be very happy to travel over at a time when things are less hectic for the poor sods who we would want to meet and spend time talking to. If I was able to pick the perfect time of year for my next trip to the Douro then I would probably choose to go in April. Hopefully there would be the chance to catch a fiesta and then meet up with some of the leading characters from the Port trade, who would have the time to be able to have a more relaxed evening or afternoon with us that they would during the harvest.

The next thing that I would love to see are some of the cellars - especially the Noval and Ferreira cellars - and have the chance to mosy around in there, just to see what there is.

Alex
Mai and June are not bad at all too Alex. You also might want to be around on the 24th of June to celebrate Oporto's day. April as far as I remember can be cold and rainy in the Douro. July and August are really too hot. You get exausted after 30 mins of walk and you want water not Port 88)

I'd also recommend group of 4 too. This is the best way to really have great time with a producer or other employee from one company. Though with less people they open less wine, but for having being there a few times, the best part is really the people, having the time to know them, share your passion. Once you have that, wine IMHO do really come 2nd.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:OK, who had the sweep saying that Alex B would choose something different?
We all get a 25% share of the winnings :lol:

I have to say I love the idea of a Cellar Rumaging Tour :D - perhaps we could srike a pre-rumage deal on any leakers found during the tour 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:OK, who had the sweep saying that Alex B would choose something different?
Boundaries are there to be pushed! I'm not arrogant enough to choose option D, but strong willed enough to suggest something different (especially if it might coincide with Tom being in Oporto already for a fireworks display!)

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Flattery

Post by jdaw1 »

Any. A trip with you folks would be extremely:
  • Educational;
  • Fun;
  • Alcoholic.
That can’t be a bad combination.

Oh, I almost forgot.
  • Ungrammatical (as in “IF there was a TPF harvest tour...† rather than “If there were a TPF harvest tour…†). :-)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

i say we do it old-school style and just invade the whole place and claim it as ours. Then we can drink all the old stuff we want :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I actually think Portugal is one of the few Countries we haven't invaded or been at war with?
Long term natural allies...I think.

Alan
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

That means they won't see us coming....its all about the element of surprise :twisted:
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

And if they run for the hills, we'll be sure to follow. The Hills over there are actually the Duoro, aren't they? :wink:
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I actually think Portugal is one of the few Countries we haven't invaded or been at war with?
We both have problems with the Spanish...

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy,

Have you been taking lessons from GWB? If someone has something you want then Plan A is INVADE :shock: :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Of course, its lovely to hear potential plans for the future...

But anyone who's anyone, is in Portugal in September, this year!!!
Aren't we Fred?

Couldn't resist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:Andy,

Have you been taking lessons from GWB? If someone has something you want then Plan A is INVADE :shock: :lol:

Derek
that is the American way :roll: :lol: :lol: ohh boy, we need to scrape our system and start over :twisted: