Is the party over?

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Is the party over?

Post by uncle tom »

A month ago there was confident expectation of another bumper crop of city bonuses at the end of the year. Those expectations have now evaporated, to be replaced by fears of redundancy in the financial sector.

No-one can be quite sure how the current 'subprime' crisis will map out, but it looks fairly certain that when the dust settles, the bloodiest noses will be in the financial sector, with few institutions escaping unscathed.

As a result, wantonly indulgent Christmas parties may be a bit thin on the ground in the City this Xmas...

The auction market for top wines went a bit loopy in the first half of the year, and port prices were not immune.

The first catalogue for the new auction season is now out, and the estimates look more than a little ambitious..

If you were a London or New York wine merchant, would you be topping up the stocks of Petrus right now?

I suspect we will see many lots go unsold this autumn..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Nevski
Cruz Ruby

Post by Nevski »

I remember that I saw once the study that showed the correlation between fine wine prices and overall financial situation is low. I might even have that study on my hard disk.. Unfortunately for us I think the correlation is even lower in port prices. How many of us will decrease port buying because of this subprime crisis..? Not too many I guess :roll:

Personally, there is only one factor which affects my buyings - it starts with w and ends to e.. :wink:
-Nevski-
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

We won't stop buying, but there is clear evidence that when the going gets tough economically, sales of vintage port suffers badly - 1931 being largely overlooked is the classic example..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

We won't stop buying, but there is clear evidence that when the going gets tough economically, sales of vintage port suffers badly
Tom, you're right. we won't stop buying and hopefully prices come down even more when all those non-geeks stop buying....ok, I we can always wish right :P
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

Talking to my friends in the fine art world they certainly think there is a correlation between different asset prices. They do expect a downturn to lead to lower prices. Looking forward to it :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A little late to the party, I understand that Straker Chadwick held a wine auction over the weekend.

Any clues as to port prices for the autumn from there? Did anyone attend? Are we going to look forward to a bumper season of cheap port at auction or are prices at auction still looking ridiculous?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I put a raft of absentee bids in - almost all 'longshots' - I'll see if there's anything in the post tomorow!

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Do you know whether JSC post the results of their auctions on the web or make them publicly available in some other way?

Alex

uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I asked Tom C about that a while back - they don't publish results on the grounds that they are too small and don't have enough staff.

I got the impression that it was a question they quite often have to field..

Tom
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Well an invoice arrived in the post this morning.

Despite a fairly hawkish approach to my bidding, I secured a total of nine lots - in all 71 bottles, (65 Vintage ports, 2 Colheitas, 1 10yr, 1 20yr,1 40yr & an LBV)

I wouldn't say that this was a list of outrageous bargains - but the product of a more sober market place.

Tom
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Uncle Tom,

Come on!!! You cant just leave it at that. I understand if you might not want to go on at length, or give prices, but you can surely give us the highlights of what you aquired?

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Tom, share the joy.

Post by jdaw1 »

Tom, share the joy.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

Any leakers or gluggers that require urgent assistance please let me know :wink: :lol:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Any in perfect condition that require urgent assistance?

Post by jdaw1 »

Tom,

Any in perfect condition that require urgent assistance please let me know.

Julian.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

OK, Ok...

VP's:

Croft '77 x 10
Gilbert '91 x 1
Gilbert '95 x 1
Taylor '85 x 12
Fonseca '94 x 4
Cockburn '97 x 11
Warre '85 x 12
Dow '94 x 12
Constantino '41 x 2

Colheitas (no bottling dates given)

Gilbert '63 x 1
Burmester '85 x 1

Tawnies

Gilbert 10yr x 1
Burmester 20yr x 1
Burmester 40yr x 1

LBV

Burmester '89 x 1

I've no idea if the LBV is filtered or not!

The Gilberts are a rarity for the UK, and I've never encountered a Burmester LBV before. The Croft '77's were part of a series of lots that had been rescued from a flooded cellar, and cost just £20.71 each.

- might be some suitable Derek juice there!

Tom
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Very handsome. The 1985s will be lovely; …

Post by jdaw1 »

Very handsome. The 1985s will be lovely; I’ve never heard of Gilbert.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have had 1 Burmester LBV (1994) and can confirm that they are unfiltered - see TN
Derek Juice
88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Gilbert 1963

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:Gilbert '63 x 1
DRT: the declarations database is missing the Gilbert 1963.
uncle tom

Re: Is the party over?

Post by uncle tom »

The Gilbert '63 was a Colheita, and was drunk on Xmas day '07, in my local pub.

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Going back to the original post, have we seen enough activity over the second half of last year and the first quarter of this year to indicate whether port prices are softening?

From personal experience, I don't see retailers lowering prices significantly. The auctions which I've looked at also seem to be holding firm in pricing, although unsold percentages seem to be on the increase. The conclusion that I'm coming to is that the number of forced sellers is still negligible with the folks who are selling choosing to keep hold of their stocks rather than sell for a price significantly lower than 2 years ago.

From what I hear, the port being offered this year from the 2007 vintage will be priced only slightly below the initial offering for the 2003 vintage.

Alex

Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I don't see too much softening in actual brick & mortar stores, but internet retail prices have definitely come down. Not a huge amount, but they've definitely come down. I'd say about 10% so far.

I suspect the difference is that internet stores are more aware and more competitive. They have to be - if you can see their price, you can see everyone else's as well. B&M stores are typically only aware of the prices at 1 or 2 local competitors (if that), so they're fairly insulated from the reality of the internet.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I've seen more discounts among brick and mortar stores, especially those with a web presence. In addition, I've seen a huge weakening in prices at WineCommune, which is notable because it represents small-time bargain hunters (like me!). Folks with bank accounts large enough to buy caseloads steer clear of it, and the smaller investors who usually frequent it are panicked. I have my eye on a bunch of stuff for this sunday.

Meanwhile, I have a friend in the collectibles industry and he informs me that their market functions in reverse of wall street. When stocks tank, collectible prices go up as people look for safe harbors for their money. The reason I don't think it's affected the wine market in the same way is that we're dealing with prices overinflated by good times.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

For me, the sign came last autumn when Farr Vintners began again to e mail me after several years absence. AS in many sectors, very old mailing lists are being dredged up.
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.