Newbie here!

Anything to do with Port.
ladyblue
Cruz Ruby

Newbie here!

Post by ladyblue »

Hello All! I have been enchanted by all of these posts on Port!I have a question - My Mother Passed away recently and while sorting through her house I came across a bottle of Port (unopened) It is a Sandeman Fine Ruby Port Seals intact, Now I know this bottle is at least 30-40 years old - My Question - will it be safe to consume? Thanks for your help!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Newbie here!

Post by DRT »

Hi ladyblue,

The bottle will be perfectly safe to drink. Port is a very robust wine and the relatively high alcohol content protects it from turning into horrible nasty stuff.

Whether or not a bottle of Ruby will be enjoyable after four decades is another matter. The environment in which the bottle has been stored will have a huge influence on its condition today but it is not unknown for bottles of this age to be very tasty.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

We had a Sandeman Ruby a few years ago at a Christmas tasting that had been bottled in 1977 for the Silver Jubilee. I thought it was quite attractive: a very pale colour and quite simple sugary taste but perfectly fine to drink.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

JacobH wrote:We had a Sandeman Ruby a few years ago at a Christmas tasting that had been bottled in 1977 for the Silver Jubilee. I thought it was quite attractive: a very pale colour and quite simple sugary taste but perfectly fine to drink.
Fond memories of the Jubilee Rubies :) For some reason many were cellared in Australia and sold at a pittance in auction.