1963 Dow

Anything to do with Port.
JAC
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

1963 Dow

Post by JAC »

I recently acquired a few bottles of 1963 Dow and was wondering how much longer they'll last. There are no signs of damage or seepage, but who knows what they've been through in the past 50 years? I have read reviews elsewhere that suggested this wine may be past its prime, but the ones I've read here suggest it might have a few more years left in it. What do y'all think?

Also, how long should this wine be decanted?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1963 Dow

Post by DRT »

Welcome to :tpf: :D

Properly cellared Dow 1963 is fabulous now and will last one or two decades more. If you have a few bottles you should open one to determine the condition and then report back so that we can advise you on what to do with the remaining bottles. I would decant for at least two hours but a very good bottle of this wine would benefit from four to six hours to really open up as Dow can be quite an austere wine so often benefits from a few hours of air.

Good luck!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JAC

Post by JAC »

Thanks. Assuming it's a good bottle, how long could I expect it to keep after it's decanted before it starts to fade?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

For a wine of that age I think drinking it over two or three days would be stretching it to the limit. Others might disagree.

If you don't drink port quickly you might want to try a neat trick that many here have used. When you decant the bottle you should immediately pour half of it into a clean half bottle, stick a cork in it, and place it straight into the fridge. That half can then be opened a week or two later and will taste much the same as the half you taste when you first decanted. It really does work! :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

I'd agree with Derek - while it is no doubt true that younger vintage ports can last (and indeed be better) in the second, third and fourth days - speaking from personal experience, for vintage ports as old as 1963 I can't myself remember an occasion where i have enjoyed the port more on the second day than the first.

But there is a caveat to this - if the port shows eg: a lot of alcoholic heat / general bottle stink or mustiness on the first day (but is not actually flawed in the sense of being corked or suffering from eg: excessive volatilic acidity), an extra 24-48hrs in the decanter *might* improve it (though, to best of my recollection, when i have done this i have experienced the port improve or deteriorate in broadly equal proportions - albeit it is always the dramatic improvements that are most memorable!)

If it tastes spectacular when first intended for consumption, i would just enjoy it then and not purposefully be holding back in order to save some for the following day or two (but all well and good if there is).

However, i'm sure others would argue that older ports have no problem going for 2-4 days. I also suspect that uncle tom / AHB are the people who most reguarly drinks 1950s/60s ports over 5 days, so would be best placed to comment.
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I would happily drink a bottle of Dow 1963 over 2-3 days and not worry about whether the port will deteriorate. I would keep the bottle or decanter in a fridge or at cellar temperature (10-12C) during that time to slow down the rate at which it evolves - but experiencing that evolution is part of the fun of having such a wonderful bottle open. To my taste a wine like this starts to fall away on day 4 and begins to be less enjoyable than days 1-3.

Derek's suggestion as to how to preserve the port if you wanted to take more than 2-3 days to consume it is spot on. I've used this technique quite successfully with wines older than the 1963 vintage and it really does allow you to drink a bottle over an extended period: 2-3 days on opening the bottle and then another 2-3 days a week or two later when you go back to the half bottle.

Just don't do as I once did and leave the bottle lying around in the kitchen. My other half and I enjoyed the best spaghetti bolognaise that she has ever made and when I asked what she had done differently, her reply was "Nothing, I just used that red wine you left lying around rather than the stuff we bought from Tesco since your bottle was already open." :shock:
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I recently had a stunning '63 Dow that still had 20+ years to it, easily. Bottle was shared with SeanC and we both gave it around 97 points which is much higher than I expected. Bottle had great color, and was from a cellar that was not very humid. I would be in no rush to drink, but 50 years stored in place vs another can have dramatic outcomes.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
JAC

Post by JAC »

Some of the bottles have the regular Dow label, and some are labeled "Shipped & Bottled by Charles Kinloch." Is there any reason why that would make a difference?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Quite possibly your bottles have come from different sources and been put together at some later time. Both Dow in Portugal and Charles Kinloch made a good job of bottling Port in the mid sixties so I don't think you need to worry too much on that count.

What sort of colour do you see if you shine a bright white light through each of your bottles?

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JAC wrote:Some of the bottles have the regular Dow label, and some are labeled "Shipped & Bottled by Charles Kinloch." Is there any reason why that would make a difference?
Yes, that will make a difference - the two bottlings are likely to show differences, even if only slight.

An idea:

We have occasionally discussed here the idea of having a tasting of different bottlings of the same wine. Yes, very geeky, but you will get used to it if you stick around here.

You now have two tickets to that tasting. Perhaps someone would "adopt" one of your tickets by buying one bottle from you.

Where do you live?
Ernest H. Cockburn
JAC

Post by JAC »

DRT wrote:
An idea:

We have occasionally discussed here the idea of having a tasting of different bottlings of the same wine. Yes, very geeky, but you will get used to it if you stick around here.

You now have two tickets to that tasting. Perhaps someone would "adopt" one of your tickets by buying one bottle from you.

Where do you live?
I live in East Podunk (a/k/a Beaumont), Texas, and I suspect that my pitiful half a dozen or so cases constitutes the finest (if not only) Port collection within 50 miles.
Last edited by JAC on 02:39 Tue 08 Jan 2013, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

East Podunk is not one of our more frequent venues for Port tastings.

Do you travel with work? If so, where?
Ernest H. Cockburn
JAC

Post by JAC »

AHB wrote: What sort of colour do you see if you shine a bright white light through each of your bottles?
Red, about the same as a '96 Latour.

Although the color looks the same in all of the bottles, the Charles Kinloch bottles seem to let more light through than the regular Dow bottles.

For comparison, a 2000 Smith-Woodhouse appeared to let no light through at all. The amount of light coming through on the Charles Kinloch bottles was about the same as the Latour.
JAC

Post by JAC »

DRT wrote:East Podunk is not one of our more frequent venues for Port tastings.

Do you travel with work? If so, where?

I don't get out much, but when I do, it's usually just Houston.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JAC wrote:
AHB wrote: What sort of colour do you see if you shine a bright white light through each of your bottles?
Red, about the same as a '96 Latour.

Although the color looks the same in all of the bottles, the Charles Kinloch bottles seem to let more light through than the regular Dow bottles.

For comparison, a 2000 Smith-Woodhouse appeared to let no light through at all. The amount of light coming through on the Charles Kinloch bottles was about the same as the Latour.
That is really positive - a dark red colour gives much hope for a well cellared port. My advice goes back to what you've heard before - try one, but keep your expectations balanced.

But well cellared Dow '63 is fabulous. When do you hope to open one?

JAC

Post by JAC »

AHB wrote: But well cellared Dow '63 is fabulous. When do you hope to open one?
I don't have plans yet. I'm waiting for an occasion.
Jem
Cruz Ruby

Post by Jem »

Opened a bottle of Dow '63 a few night's ago with three other friends whom appreciate a nice glass of Port. We all agreed that it's one of the best aged vintage Ports that we've ever had the pleasure to drink :D
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Jem wrote: 10:51 Wed 07 Aug 2019 Opened a bottle of Dow '63 a few night's ago with three other friends whom appreciate a nice glass of Port. We all agreed that it's one of the best aged vintage Ports that we've ever had the pleasure to drink :D
Jem - welcome to the Port Forum, and what a wonderful Port to feature in your first post. I love the Dow 1963, I agree with your view and that of your friends.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Jem wrote: 10:51 Wed 07 Aug 2019Opened a bottle of Dow '63 a few night's ago with three other friends whom appreciate a nice glass of Port. We all agreed that it's one of the best aged vintage Ports that we've ever had the pleasure to drink :D
I’m sorry. Obviously I would have accepted, but the invitation was lost in the post. ;-|

(Fine Port. And, evidently, fine friends.)
Jem
Cruz Ruby

Post by Jem »

Thanks for the welcome :)

I have to confess to lurking in the background for a short while before dipping my toe into the water with my first post (or should that be the Port :lol: ). I look forward to hanging out here and learning lot's more about my favourite tipple.

Oh, and what I did forget to mention in my first post was the bottle of Warre's 2004 that followed, that was also rather nice (but very different) :lol: . There's nothing quite like enjoying a nice glass with friends whom appreciate Port.

Incidentally, I'm from Yorkshire, anyone else here from God's own County?
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by akzy »

Jem wrote: 11:56 Sat 10 Aug 2019 Incidentally, I'm from Yorkshire, anyone else here from God's own County?
Welcome! I am also from Yorkshire, but alas, I now live in Brighton. Yorkshire is however where I end up drinking most of my Port.
Jem
Cruz Ruby

Post by Jem »

Excellent (& thanks for the welcome), at least I'm not the only Yorkshireman here :), Surely there must be others...