Decanting through a filter: an experiment

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Decanting through a filter: an experiment

Post by jdaw1 »

Does decanting through muslin leave a taint of cotton dust? I’m pondering an experiment to be performed on a magnum of Noval 1963.
  • Seal to be photographed and then removed, and the bottle left standing in the cellar. This allows things to settle after the bottle-shaking wax cutting.
  • On tasting day, likely to be in early 2008, the magnum will be freehand decanted, in the old style with a light underneath, into a magnum decanter. Pouring will stop when sediment is seen.
  • This magnum decanter of “prime port† will then be re-decanted into three smaller decanters: one through new muslin, one through washed muslin, one though nothing.
  • The non-prime sediment-rich port will be split into two, part being decanted through (washed?) muslin into a fourth decanter, and part through a non-bleached coffee filter into a fifth.
  • Taste. Is there a taint of cotton dust?
Have others already done this or a like experiment? Can others suggest improvements to this experiment?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Decanting through a filter: an experiment

Post by DRT »

I have often wordered this but have never actually tried decanting through anything other than my stainless steel filter.

jdaw1 wrote: Can others suggest improvements to this experiment?
Yes, do it on Alan's patio when we are all together 8)

Derek
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

Me too. the stainless steel filter does leave some sediment in the decanter, but then I can filter that again by hand if I wish to.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Filter by hand? I've seen your fingers and I'm pretty certain sediment will get between them.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Its amazing what can slip through your fingers!
I've let TWO houses do exactly that. They fell in the lap of my Ex-wives.
I've sewn my fingers together with my current home!!! :D

Alan
bman

Post by bman »

Umm, no, that's not what I meant. Like I said last night, it was late.

I meant filtering without aid of any kind of filter.

Though come to think of it, I'd rather strain port through my fingers than my teeth, as I understand some people do.... :wink:
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Only for Croft 45, bman, nothing less.
bman

Post by bman »

:D
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Is there a 'Teeth Straining' story out there, that you should maybe share??? :)
bman

Post by bman »

Yes, but I'll leave it to Alex or Stevie to tell, since it was them what did the strainin'!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

the stainless steel filter does leave some sediment in the decanter
If the sediment is fine and the wine dark, it's hard to avoid a little getting into the decanter.

While the last glass may end up being a tad cloudy - it's often the best one out of the decanter - a little wispy sediment does not seem to be a taste impairment :P

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote: the last glass ...... it's often the best one out of the decanter
That is the most frustrating phenomenon in the world of port :x

Derek
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

decanting into micro-decanters, holding one glass each

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:While the last glass may end up being a tad cloudy - it's often the best one out of the decanter
Suggesting decanting into micro-decanters, holding one glass each. Perhaps the technique would be to decant directly into twenty-odd glasses, and … (stop me when this gets silly, like, perhaps, now)
Last edited by jdaw1 on 06:09 Fri 29 Jun 2007, edited 1 time in total.
KillerB

Re: decanting into micro-decanters, holding one glass each

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:
uncle tom wrote:While the last glass may end up being a tad cloudy - it's often the best one out of the decanter
Suggesting decanting into micro-decanters, holding one glass each. Perhaps the techniqu would be to decant directly into twenty-odd glasses, and … (stop me when this gets silly, like, perhaps, now)
No, I'm up for that.
Conky wrote:Is there a 'Teeth Straining' story out there, that you should maybe share??? Smile
More than one actually, both involving Stevie and me.

1. At Stevie's place on either the first or second occasion that I was there he dragged out something about 500 years old that he'd accidentally shaken up;

2. At bman's hotel room we spotted a Croft '45 (I say spotted, had it pointed out to us with big, beamin Canadian smile). It had stuff in the bottom which was so that we could have a sniff, but based on previous experience (see point 1. above) Stevie poured it out into a couple of glasses.

bman had also decanted a bottle of Martinez '94 and left the dregs in the bottle. Stevie dranks this as well whilst I had spotted the decanter and drank the clean stuff. I think he was beginning to like it.
bman

Post by bman »

(insert graemlin with big, beamin Canadian smile here.....)