How to re-wax bottles

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: How to re-wax bottles

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:The wheat flour is outside the cork, not in the drink...
True, but only if every last trace were successfully removed when pulling the cork. If any of the paste adhered to the neck of the bottle as the port was poured out, some would dissolve in the liquid to be consumed - but whether more than 200ppm I cannot estimate.
Either way, my fear would be that the paste can attract mould or other growth. It's an organic compound, there's no reason why it shouldn't.
What about embedding a (stout) thread in the wax plug, so it can be pulled and the wax break up?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

jdaw1 wrote:The wheat flour is outside the cork, not in the drink, so it should still be safe. But you might be more cautious than that.
I have to be cautious, unfortunately. 20 ppm is very little indeed. 0.02g flour in a pour. An unlucky scrap. The problem would be on opening, and chipping all the paste away on getting the cork out. Perhaps an opportunity for tongs!

Coeliac is not an intolerance or an allergy, it is an autoimmune disease, where the body attacks itself with vigour if it detects any gluten, giving quite unpleasant short and quite a variety of significantly unpleasant long term problems.
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

djewesbury wrote:
AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:The wheat flour is outside the cork, not in the drink...
True, but only if every last trace were successfully removed when pulling the cork. If any of the paste adhered to the neck of the bottle as the port was poured out, some would dissolve in the liquid to be consumed - but whether more than 200ppm I cannot estimate.
Either way, my fear would be that the paste can attract mould or other growth. It's an organic compound, there's no reason why it shouldn't.
What about embedding a (stout) thread in the wax plug, so it can be pulled and the wax break up?
As long as the paste were mixed well, and allowed to fully harden, it should be OK. The wax seal would stop air getting to it, so mould and aerobic bacteria should be inhibited whilst it remains intact, but yes, some risk, but perhaps no worse than a slightly mouldy cork. Apparently it is common in France to still use the traditional flour paste to seal some wine barrels, although most other countries use more modern alternatives.

I agree that wax with a break up mechanism would be better, and certainly so for me!
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

A plug of softer wax could be used to fill the gap perhaps?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:The wheat flour is outside the cork, not in the drink, so it should still be safe.
The principle reason for re-waxing a bottle is that it is leaking or likely to leak. Putting an organic compound on top of a leaking or potentially leaking cork is about the same as putting the flour in the bottle. As soon as it is laid down the Port will pass through or around the cork and soak the underside of the flour plug. The flour (or disolved compounds from it) could then potentially pass back around the cork and into the bottle.

Seems just too risky for me given that the solution to removing an inert wax plug is 10 seconds with a sharp knife.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

OK, the wonders of Google and the silly things one does when you wake up at 5 a.m. for some reason..

US FDA says 20ppm or less may be described as 'gluten free'.

Maximum amount of flour likely to be used = 1g with gluten content of 100mg

- If bottle opened as pop and pour, at least 95% would be displaced by the exiting cork, 5mg in 750ml = less than 7ppm

- If cork pushed in and bottle badly decanted (gluten is almost insoluble) 90% of gluten stays in sediment, and 10% finds its way with other sediment into the wine, 10mg in 750ml = less than 14ppm
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I don't think gluten is the issue for the vast majority of people. The issue is running the risk of tainting the wine.

Why bother doing that when there are perfectly suitable alternatives that do not introduce that risk?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

uncle tom wrote:
OK, the wonders of Google and the silly things one does when you wake up at 5 a.m. for some reason..

US FDA says 20ppm or less may be described as 'gluten free'.

Maximum amount of flour likely to be used = 1g with gluten content of 100mg

- If bottle opened as pop and pour, at least 95% would be displaced by the exiting cork, 5mg in 750ml = less than 7ppm

- If cork pushed in and bottle badly decanted (gluten is almost insoluble) 90% of gluten stays in sediment, and 10% finds its way with other sediment into the wine, 10mg in 750ml = less than 14ppm
A teaspoon is about 3g so 1g about right, yes.

Assumes homogeneity. On pop and pour, 5 mg concentrated in 2 of 15 pours doesn't work for me.

Assumes gluten is insoluble. Wine is not water (thank goodness) - it is a dilute acid, and gluten dissolves well enough in dilute acids. Flour dispersed over the large surface area of a filter paper while wine is poured over is a great way to dissolve gluten.

Let me know if flour is used and I'll pass. It isn't a problem, I already pass on lots of things when I'm out.

On the broader issue. Is flour able to taint wine? Possibly. Worth the risk? I think probably not, and certainly not for an older more delicate more valuable wine.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

A very worthwhile conversation.

Hopefully Tom can find a substitute, and mentions it here before using it on too many bottles.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

This is just another example of political correctness gone mad. I have been sealing all my bottles with bat droppings. I didn't notice that any of you dropped dead when you drank them. Honestly, it's amazing we've survived this long considering our ancestors didn't maintain three contact points on the ladder when they descended from the trees.
x1000, and all in the most friendly imaginable way!
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:I have been sealing all my bottles with bat droppings.
That explains the "mouse-y" flavours I've been noting in some ports. I just thought it was a variation of VA / TCA / baterial infection.

BOOM-BOOM
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

How to re-wax bottles

Post by djewesbury »

Really, I would have expected you to know that mice and bats have quite different diets Alex. Bat droppings consist mostly of insects and are quite harmless. Mouse droppings contain gluten and should only be used on Madeira.
Last edited by djewesbury on 11:05 Fri 14 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Hopefully Tom can find a substitute, and mentions it here before using it on too many bottles.
Experimented with plaster of Paris yesterday, but so hard you'd break the end of the bottle before it came out. Can I find a neutral admixture to reduce the hardness.. hmm?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Wax?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

How to re-wax bottles

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:Wax?
:shock:
Daniel J.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Wax?
Well, it's an idea..

The wax sold by British wax makes a superb seal, but is a struggle to remove if the cork was depressed at the time of waxing. Using an alternative and less resilient wax to fill the depression is a possibility, but candle wax might be problematic as it has a much lower melting point and would almost certainly re-melt on dipping.

But a good old fashioned sealing wax candle might do the trick - will experiment..