Too darn hot.

Anything to do with Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Too darn hot.

Post by LGTrotter »

I have been drinking quite a lot of the Tesco 1994 recently. For those who haven't tried it it is a nice middlin' youngster. The thing about drinking the same wine over and over again is that you can try out different things with it.

I find that I prefer it at a 'straight out of the cellar' temperature. The wine seems more supple and easier to read. Initially I did this for expediency but now for preference. Then I was reading some notes on the Graham eighty-five I wrote in 2006 about how beautiful it tasted when cool. And I hate port in restaurants because it's always too warm.

I realise this is an old chestnut but can someone reassure me that port is better cooler? More the temperature of a good white burgundy would be my measure.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Too darn hot.

Post by DRT »

I agree completely.

There is an old adage that Port (and red wine in general) should be served at "room temperature". That saying originated before we had central heating and loft/cavity wall insulation.

When I decant a bottle of Port I normally leave it in the garage (which is used as a utility room) or in the fridge, depending on the time of year.

When your butler pours you a glass of Port and sits you down in your wing-backed leather arm chair in front of a roaring fire it is easy to let it warm up, but far more difficult to let it cool down. Start cold and drink when ready.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

LGTrotter wrote: More the temperature of a good white burgundy would be my measure.
Depends what temp you like your white burgundy!

I like richer, more aromatic whites at approx 12 degrees celsius (poured on the cooler side). I think i enjoy ruby ports - and red wines in general - most in the 16 - 18 degree celsius range (again, seeing how the glasses changes as the temp increases before refilling from the cooler bottle).
LGTrotter wrote:The thing about drinking the same wine over and over again is that you can try out different things with it.
I have found Tesco 94 to be quite variable over the years (see e.g.: here) There's even a theory amongst some that altogether different ports have been branded and sold as Tesco 94 at times (see e.g.: here). Whether or not this is true, i tend to find there's a hint of stewed fruit to this port that may make it a particularly good candidate for serving on the cooler side in order to get the best out of it.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:i tend to find there's a hint of stewed fruit to this port that may make it a particularly good candidate for serving on the cooler side in order to get the best out of it.
I agree.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn