Naming blinded bottles

Anything to do with Port.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Naming blinded bottles

Post by mosesbotbol »

Use wing dings instead.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

uncle tom wrote:You forgot Chinese:

一二三四五六七八九十

:P :P
Works for me!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Summary of the comments so far.

• Lower-case Roman letters (a, b, c, d, e, f, …)
Liked by Phil and Flash. Phil proposing a variant of (a), (b), (c), …, which would lessen the problem with vertical alignment. JDAW against, because of typesetting ugliness, an objection that won belated agreement from Phil.

• Lower-case Roman numbers (i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, …)
Liked by Phil, despite the “significantly varying width ("i" vs "xviii" for example)”, and also by Flash, and by JDAW.

• Upper-case Roman numbers (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, …)
Liked by Flash and by JDAW, who prefers that InlineTitles be true. Phil objects to the “Width variation. Not such an issue with the smaller numbers, but VIII, XIII .. XVIII all look too busy”. Has better vertical centring than the lower-case version. Again, better if quite white.

• Lower-case Greeks (α, β, γ, δ, ε, ζ, η, θ, ι, κ, λ, μ, ν, ξ, ο, π, ρ, σ, τ, υ, φ, χ, ψ, ω)
Acceptable to Phil. Acceptable to Flash up to υ. Liked by JDAW. But a problem to too many others.

• Chemical elements (H, He, Li, Be, B, C, N, O, F, Ne, Na, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Cl, Ar, K, Ca, Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, …)
Already implemented in the draft of the placemats for the 2015 Doty Cup, and liked by Magnus. Also liked by me. And the risk of false suggestion feels low, because “N” is pronounced “Nitrogen”, which will be the first item of the relevant item of the Circlearrays. Do people know these? I’m liking this suggestion more and more. Would there be suggestion that the nose of N should be muted, but that of F might be stronger? Hmm.

• Exotica
There have been multiple comments in favour of exotica, including two wanting Chinese. Yes, I agree, the people of :tpf: are recherché. But the proposals would be difficult for the placemat maker, and would be recognised by even fewer people than are the Greeks. That’s a no.

Winners so far: upper-case Roman numbers (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, …) and the elements (H, He, Li, Be, B, C, N, O, F, Ne, Na, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Cl, Ar, K, Ca, Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, …).
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:• Chemical elements (H, He, Li, Be, B, C, N, O, F, Ne, Na, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Cl, Ar, K, Ca, Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, …)
Already implemented in the draft of the placemats for the 2015 Doty Cup, and liked by Magnus. Also liked by me. And the risk of false suggestion feels low, because “N” is pronounced “Nitrogen”, which will be the first item of the relevant item of the Circlearrays. Do people know these? I’m liking this suggestion more and more. Would there be suggestion that the nose of N should be muted, but that of F might be stronger? Hmm.
The only challenge with the chemicals might be confusion during discussion:
"I like the Potassium."
"Really!? Do you mean the Potassium or the Phosphorus?"
Last edited by flash_uk on 16:04 Fri 06 Jun 2014, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:"I like the Potassium."
"Really!? Do you mean the Potassium or the Phosphorous?"
I was also concerned about Sodium.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

My preference would be for upper case Roman numerals or (as per Phil) bracketed l/c Roman numerals (which I tend to favour when writing reports). But then again signs of the zodiac, chess pieces ....
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:I was also concerned about Sodium.
Na.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I was also concerned about Sodium.
Na.
Lock the doors, he's on all night!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

In [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8534]the first post[/url] jdaw1 wrote:The Decision
Example PDF, and the first two pages thereof:
Image Image
On the glasses pages, the Titles are aggressively kerned, and hence also on pre-pour and sticky-label pages, but not on tasting-note, decanting-note, nor cork-display pages. The Circlearrays are in English, German and Portuguese: obviously this would vary according to the first languages of those attending.