Seeking "The Authentic Vintage Port" experience...?

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Seeking "The Authentic Vintage Port" experience...?

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:Anyway, all this chatter about decanting times for Graham 83 is irrelevant as undoubtably it is the 85 that was purchased.
Taylor, presumably?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Anyway, all this chatter about decanting times for Graham 83 is irrelevant as undoubtably it is the 85 that was purchased.
Taylor, presumably?
Of course not. The Taylor was given to the alien.
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:
Taylor, presumably?
Of course not. The Taylor was given to the alien.
Glenn, I was not even going to dignify it with an answer. Taylor forsooth.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am happy to swap Offley 1972 for any unwanted T85. I have 11 available.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Seeking

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:I am happy to swap Offley 1972 for any unwanted T85. I have 11 available.
You would swap Offley 1972 for a bottle of lukewarm tap water from Edinburgh, so that's not saying much. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I wonder if the author of this thread would put us out of our misery and tell us what they bought?
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

LGTrotter wrote:I wonder if the author of this thread would put us out of our misery and tell us what they bought?
WineLoverPT wrote:
Well.
I picked one of these ...
1967 Croft Quinta da Roeda Vintage Porto
1985 Grahams Vintage Porto
1983 Grahams Vintage Porto

I was going to post the tasting note here, and see, from that, it could be guessed which one it was.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

Just in case anyone is wondering what's happened...

My wife is ill at the moment and not drinking.
It doesn't seem right to crack open the "special" port until she's able to fully partake, so this project is on hold right now.
The bottle is in the cellar, rubbing somewhat low shoulders with "lesser" brews - it calls softly to me whenever I'm in there, which is somewhat disturbing.
Whilst we're a drinking family of one, I'm doing some "due diligence" and crossing off some of those things that, as a "white belt" of Portoka (the martial art of drinking port), I must try.
White port - tick - never again (well, apart from a bottle of Lagrima I seem to have)
I have a bottle of pink port which I am so looking forward to trying very very soon.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

WineLoverPT wrote:I have a bottle of pink port which I am so looking forward to trying very very soon.
Some aren't bad when chilled and mixed with soda or tonic and lots of ice. Other should be tasted when the sink needs to be cleaned or unblocked.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
WineLoverPT wrote:I have a bottle of pink port which I am so looking forward to trying very very soon.
Some aren't bad when chilled and mixed with soda or tonic and lots of ice. Other should be tasted when the sink needs to be cleaned or unblocked.
I furiously disagree. Just unblock the sink. Don't bother tasting.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Kopke Rose was better than that.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

WineLoverPT wrote:White port - tick - never again (well, apart from a bottle of Lagrima I seem to have)
I agree with your other post (and most of the responses regarding waiting for drain cleaning opportunities) regarding dry white port - but you don't need to write off all white port (unless you want to) - I have very much enjoyed a couple of the old (non-dry) whites, including the Dalva Golden White 71, and the Cabral '40 (believed white, unconfirmed) which are both delicious.
Admittedly, I'm with Derek on that one.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

Well, I managed to get rid of the rest of it, which was most of it (I'd normally say "better part", but it didn't have a better part), at a small BBQ a couple of days ago - the hostess is a white wine drinker, and she really liked it, so it went to a good home.

I have a Ramos Pinto Lágrima white (due diligence don't ya know).
I'm going to time my tasting of this to such a time when I can, if necessary (and, whilst I'm keeping an open palette, I know where my money is with this one), give the rest of it to her again.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

WineLoverPT wrote:Well, I managed to get rid of the rest of it, which was most of it (I'd normally say "better part", but it didn't have a better part), at a small BBQ a couple of days ago - the hostess is a white wine drinker, and she really liked it, so it went to a good home.

I have a Ramos Pinto Lágrima white (due diligence don't ya know).
I'm going to time my tasting of this to such a time when I can, if necessary (and, whilst I'm keeping an open palette, I know where my money is with this one), give the rest of it to her again.
Lágrima is usually pretty simple and sweet. It's fine if served cold or used in a mixed drink, but I doubt that you will derive much pleasure from it directly.

To really experience White Port you need to get one that is well-aged, ideally a 1952 Dalva Golden White. But since those are exceedingly rare, any of the Kopke 10-, 20-, 30-, or 40-year olds will suffice, as would the other Dalva Golden Whites (1963, 1971).
Glenn Elliott
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

Glenn E. wrote:To really experience White Port you need to get one that is well-aged, ideally a 1952 Dalva Golden White. But since those are exceedingly rare, any of the Kopke 10-, 20-, 30-, or 40-year olds will suffice, as would the other Dalva Golden Whites (1963, 1971).
Ah ah - thanks - they are now on my list.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

WineLoverPT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:To really experience White Port you need to get one that is well-aged, ideally a 1952 Dalva Golden White. But since those are exceedingly rare, any of the Kopke 10-, 20-, 30-, or 40-year olds will suffice, as would the other Dalva Golden Whites (1963, 1971).
Ah ah - thanks - they are now on my list.
The best out of that lot is the Dalva 71 I think, which the IVDP sell from their shop in Porto (and online?) at about €85 for 50cl, which I'm guessing is better than any of the big wine shops / GN. After that the Kopke, or indeed the Dalva whites with designation of age are wonderful. Try Burmester and Cálem aged whites also. These can get as expensive as old colheitas though!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I can also recommend the Andresen 10,20,30 and 40 White Y Tawnies and the Ferreira 10 Y White Tawny.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:I can also recommend the Andresen 10,20,30 and 40 White Y Tawnies and the Ferreira 10 Y White Tawny.
+1. Excellent value, from the people who introduced the first White Port with Designation of Age.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

And I would recommend that you allow your posh port to have a good rest before opening. Three to six months is my rule of thumb, I think that older ports especially need to settle into themselves for that sort of time before drinking.

I would further recommend that you don't go near a bottle of white port with a pointed stick. But then I have been talked into buying Krohn 64 Branco by forumites. I still haven't plucked up courage to open one yet.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:And I would recommend that you allow your posh port to have a good rest before opening. Three to six months is my rule of thumb, I think that older ports especially need to settle into themselves for that sort of time before drinking.

I would further recommend that you don't go near a bottle of white port with a pointed stick. But then I have been talked into buying Krohn 64 Branco by forumites. I still haven't plucked up courage to open one yet.
Open it. You got this before they sold out. I was too late.
Or bring it to a tasting. Are you still coming to Glenn's tasting in September...?
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:I have been talked into buying Krohn 64 Branco by forumites. I still haven't plucked up courage to open one yet.
Lovely juice. Bring it to TBH.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

LGTrotter wrote:But then I have been talked into buying Krohn 64 Branco by forumites. I still haven't plucked up courage to open one yet.
They need more time in bottle. Approximately 2 more months should do it.
Glenn Elliott