Liverpool?

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Liverpool?

Post by djewesbury »

Anyone got recommendations for places (bars or restaurants) with half-decent port by the glass in Liverpool?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Liverpool?

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Anyone got recommendations for places (bars or restaurants) with half-decent port by the glass in Liverpool?
I know quite a few really good restaurants on the south east side of Liverpool, about 200 miles from the city centre.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Anyone got recommendations for places (bars or restaurants) with half-decent port by the glass in Liverpool?
I know quite a few really good restaurants on the south east side of Liverpool, about 200 miles from the city centre.
Or just 30 minutes on the train to Manchester...

The last time I was in Liverpool, I ended up eating in a Pizza Express so I would welcome any recommendations!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

The reason I asked is precisely because it doesn't have a great reputation. I thought we were here, on the Forum, in a Reithian spirit, trying to inform, educate and entertain. Well here's a challenge. Which Derek has failed.
Daniel J.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I think that Reith is dead for quite along time now and that he wouldn't recognize today's BBC.

But back to the original question:
Perhaps you should do it the old-fashioned way and get a guide book on the city you're visiting. Such as this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wallpaper-City- ... guide+book

If you find a restaurant that sounds promising, check it's website for the wine list to see if they have any port. Or if the website is not informative enough, ring them up and ask them what they have.

Or you might want to use Tripadvisor to get restaurant recommendations and then proceed as described above.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

André, you're on a roll. Yes this is a good research methodology! I was really looking for personal recommendations though, which people felt like sharing.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:The reason I asked is precisely because it doesn't have a great reputation. I thought we were here, on the Forum, in a Reithian spirit, trying to inform, educate and entertain. Well here's a challenge. Which Derek has failed.
I used my extensive experience of never having darkened the door of the great city of Liverpewl to answer the question.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

The area around Moorfields and James Street Stations, and Dale St itself, are the more traditional business sectors, which I would guess more likely to have port. The last time I was there was many years ago, and it was a bit the worse for wear. A tenuous lead, but with the guide book idea a perhaps a start. Surely there must be somewhere with something acceptable?
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:I was really looking for personal recommendations though, which people felt like sharing.
Perhaps The Living Room might be worth a try? They have several locations, so it's not entirely clear exactly what is available at each, but I note that they have a range of aged steaks (including Chateaubriand in some) and some VP; specifically a Warre VP, year not specified, at £4.50/glass or £40/half-bottle, which may be good value.