Fonseca Bicentenary Edition Crusted Port

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Fonseca Bicentenary Edition Crusted Port

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.fonseca.pt/en/news/fonseca-celebrates-its-200th-anniversary/]Fonseca[/url], on 12 March 2015, wrote:This year Fonseca proudly celebrates 200 years of family tradition and achievement.

An entry in the ledgers of the royal monopoly company records the firm's first trading activity, the purchase of 32 pipes of Port by João dos Santos Fonseca on 8th April, 1815.

For two hundred years, the firm's destiny has been shaped by four families. The Fonsecas and Monteiros who founded the business. The Guimaraens dynasty which led the firm for over a century and have made its wines from the 1860s to the present day. And finally the Yeatmans who have steered the company successfully through the second half of the 20th century and into the new millennium.

Vintage Port runs like a continuous thread through Fonseca's history. Since the legendary 1840, the first Vintage Port made under the Fonseca name, the firm has produced a steady stream of magnificent wines, including such landmark vintages as 1927, 1948, 1977 and 1994, all of them 100-point wines. These, among many others, have firmly established Fonseca as one of the finest 'first growth' Vintage Port producers.

James Suckling, in his authoritative book on Vintage Port, put it as follows: 'The Vintage Ports of Fonseca are perhaps the most consistently great of them all. Not only to they have a striking fleshiness and powerful richness when young, but they retain that youthfulness for decades.'

Fonseca's stature as a Vintage Port house is undisputed. But to many wine lovers it is best known as the producer of one of the most popular Ports ever made, Fonseca Bin No.27. This superb reserve blend draws on the heritage of the great Fonseca Vintages and shares their seductive fruit quality, a hallmark of the Fonseca house style. True to a tradition of craftsmanship, Fonseca produces one of the most individual range of Ports, including its unique Guimaraens Vintage Ports, an unfiltered LBV, a rare Crusted and the first ever Organic Port.

A pioneer of organic and sustainable viticulture in the Douro Valley, Fonseca maintains its close link with the vineyard and owns three of the region's finest estates, including its flagship property, Quinta do Panascal.

To celebrate Fonseca's Bicentenary, a programme of tastings and commemorations has been organised in markets around the world. The occasion will also be marked by two special releases.

A limited Bicentenary Edition Crusted Port will be made available on allocation. Bottled in 2008, it displays attractive bottle maturity and is a superb wine with which to celebrate Fonseca's 200th anniversary. However, those preferring to keep it in their cellars as a souvenir of the Bicentenary can expect it to continue improving in bottle.

As well as the Bicentenary of Fonseca, the year also marks the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. The defeat of Napoleon's Grande Armée on 18th June, 1815, ten weeks after Fonseca began trading, ended 26 years of conflict between France and the European powers. It was a triumph for the Duke of Wellington, who led the Anglo-Dutch forces in the battle, and will be widely commemorated in Britain during the coming months.

Wellington spent much of his career leading an allied army of British and Portuguese soldiers against the forces of Napoleon during the peninsular campaigns. What better wine in which to toast the bravery and fortitude of the Iron Duke and his men than Port, the symbol of Anglo-Portuguese friendship and alliance.

In tribute to Wellington's victory, Fonseca has created a special Waterloo Edition Port, a full-bodied, robust and vigorous reserve blend which will shortly be released in Britain
“A limited Bicentenary Edition Crusted Port” eh? Those tasting are encouraged to report.

“Waterloo Edition Port”: very important for French relatives. Those tasting are encouraged to report.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Fonseca Bicentenary Edition Crusted Port

Post by DaveRL »

As I have no French relatives I will have to share with French friends instead. I'm sure they will be excited to participate in the celebrations.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

We know why it won't be released in France :lol:
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Maybe in France it will be called 'Les Cent Jours', or 'Retour d'Elba'.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I wonder if this is just the standard Fonseca Crusted that is released every year (this time with a bicentenary label) or really something more special to mark the occasion. The press release doesn't really give any information on the quality of the Crusted.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

AW77 wrote:I wonder if this is just the standard Fonseca Crusted that is released every year (this time with a bicentenary label) or really something more special to mark the occasion. The press release doesn't really give any information on the quality of the Crusted.
I would guess it is the same as usual. The wine society crusted is a Fonseca wine (I think) and the last couple of bottlings, 2006 being the most recent were decidedly mediocre. Although you can't argue with the price.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I just noticed that Nichols and Perks are listing both the Waterloo reserve port (£84/6 bottles) and the bicentennial crusted (£108/6 bottles). Neither price suggesting that it will be anything out of the ordinary.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

LGTrotter wrote:I just noticed that Nichols and Perks are listing both the Waterloo reserve port (£84/6 bottles) and the bicentennial crusted (£108/6 bottles). Neither price suggesting that it will be anything out of the ordinary.
Ahh, but my supplies will be ex-cellars.