Luxury Douro Train

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Luxury Douro Train

Post by Doggett »

See the link for a way to travel in luxury to Vesuvio. It obviously looks like there is an association with the Symingtons. Has anyone had the pleasure of enjoying this train or know anything else about it?

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/22/trave ... ial-train/
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Luxury Douro Train

Post by DRT »

Very interesting. I have been to Vesuvio many times, the last being 11 months ago, and there was no sign of any intention to host visitors on this scale. It has very much been used as a venue for private groups of perhaps ten at most and has no modern comforts so if trains full of visitors expecting a luxury experience are turning up I can't imagine what has been done in such a short time to accommodate them.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Interesting timing of your post and a good article to read. I was chatting with Henry Shotton about this train service last week. He had been on the first service because someone from SFE had had to host the passengers at Vesuvio. Henry had drawn the "short" straw, being forced to endure a luxury train journey with Michelin starred chefs preparing his food.

From the way Henry described it, I learned that the company arranging the train journey is totally separate from SFE. However, the train journey does not have the time to travel up to Barca d'Alva so needs to stop and turn around somewhere in the Douro Superior. The timing of the outbound and return journeys was such that Vesuvio was an obvious station at which to stop - and SFE was very happy to give passengers the opportunity to explore the garden, visit the winery, taste a few ports and to enjoy the view from the terrace. I guess what dictates things is that the train has to follow behind the scheduled passenger service and also has to clear the line in time for the scheduled service to make its return journey.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote: 14:43 Wed 31 May 2017Henry had drawn the "short" straw, being forced to endure a luxury train journey with Michelin starred chefs preparing his food.
That must have been such a trial for him!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

PhilW wrote: 08:51 Thu 01 Jun 2017
AHB wrote: 14:43 Wed 31 May 2017Henry had drawn the "short" straw, being forced to endure a luxury train journey with Michelin starred chefs preparing his food.
That must have been such a trial for him!
The horror!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I don't think it was running in 2021 but now that Portugal is recovering from COVID it might start to run again in 2022.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

Yes, it stopped due to the pandemic, but I think the plan is to get it up and running again.