LBV 79 (Restaurant)

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
benread
Niepoort 1977

LBV 79 (Restaurant)

Post by benread »

I think this is a relatively new restaurant in Pinhao. It is located on the quay, opposite where the river boats moor up. A fabulous location when the sun is shining. (No more than 5 minutes walk from the train station.)

It has a "restaurant | bar | lounge" with the restaurant tables being on the 1st floor, including about 3 on a great terrace. The food was very nice, but the prices are definitely aimed at tourists with main dishes all around EUR20+ before vegetables are added.

The wine list is comprehensive and includes many of the local Quintas. I am afraid to admit I did not check their port list but I expect it would be pricey based on our experience. We all had variations on "steak" and the meat was very good, but over cooked when compared to the "medium rare" requests.

In short, if you want to push the boat out and have a nice meal in one of the best locations, this may be for you. But be prepared to pay EUR50+ per head very easily.

There does not appear to be a website, but the contact details on their card are:

Email: luis.campos.ferreira@hotmail.com
Address: Lugar da Praia, 5085-042, Pinhao
Tel: 254 738 187 / 96 491 37 68
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Re: LBV 79 (Restaurant)

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good food, modest service, great collection of Douro wines and nothing special re: Port wine. Worth a try if you are a frequent visitor to the region, but there are much better options on either side of the price scale.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

thanks, Ben and Roy, especially with the contact details.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I enjoyed the food at LBV 79, but the service was just decent. I think they had just recently opened so they may have still be working some kinks out. The only bad part is smoking is (or was) allowed downstairs and it was so strong I actually walked outside for a bit of fresh air. however, upstairs at dinner it was not an issue.

They had a great Douro wine list (although mostly newer vintages) and a so-so Port list, which I thought strange. Obviously dry wines are more their focus and probably a function of the visitors who dine there. But overall I will go back as I though it made for a pleasant place to eat and drink.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Had a very enjoyable evening here; one of the few places around Pinhão which has a selection of vegetarian food available. Service in the restaurant was excellent, with the chef producing a vegetarian amuse-bouche and giving us a couple of complementary glasses of Port at the end of the meal, although the fact that we were the only people there may have contributed!

It is perhaps a bit on the expensive side. It also seems you can get standard Portuguese bar-food on the ground floor if you are so inclined which I imagine is cheaper as it was packed when we left.