Oporto Restaurant - Canelas de Coelho

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Oporto Restaurant - Canelas de Coelho

Post by RAYC »

I thought i'd give a quick mention to this very nice restaurant that i went to (on local recommendation) during a recent trip to Oporto - located near the Metro entrance on the western side of Aliados.

As the pics here and on facebook show, it's quite a small restaurant (8-10 tables?), smart modern decor (but nothing fancy), but serves extremely nicely prepared portuguese dishes.

Also has what looks like a fantastic (and very long) wine list - plenty of low price options - but I couldn't resist trying out the Abandonado 05 (price was not horrible - about EUR90 - which can't be too far off retail these days...). Less impressive for port, so we just headed down the road to Vinologia!

I haven't been to some of the other famed Oporto haunts (eg: DOP, Opaparico, Yeatman) so i make no claim that this place is comparable with those, but i had a great meal there.
Rob C.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Re: Oporto Restaurant - Canelas de Coelho

Post by Roy Hersh »

A nice tapas style restaurant with small dishes and very solid food. I've eaten here a bunch and pricing is good for food and somewhat reasonable for wine explorations. Service runs from friendly/professional to absolutely amateur hour. That being said, even the off nights were still pleasant.