How to sell vintage port?

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
dochsm
Cruz Ruby

How to sell vintage port?

Post by dochsm »

When he was little, my son was given (ownership) of a wooden presentation case containing 6 bottles of Quinta do Vesuvio 1997 together with a china bottle lable, while it was still in bond. This was done as a sort of investment.
Now he is older and the port is out of bond and we would like to sell it rather than drink it.
However we have no idea how or where to do this, nor how much it is worth.
Can any of you experts please advise me?
Howard (in the UK)
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: How to sell vintage port?

Post by g-man »

Welcome to the boards,

the vesuvio 97 sells in the states for 40$ USD.

in the UK I would imagine it being 25 pounds.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Howard,

£25/btl is a bit high for a Vesuvio '97 (shipping costs tend to make all ports more expensive in the USA)

You can sell wine at auction, but you have to get it there, and pay the auctioneer's commission. Wine merchants may also make you an offer.

Sometimes buyers at auction get a bit carried away, and the vendor gets a very nice price; and then sometimes they don't..

I don't need any more Vesuvio '97, but if someone here offered you £120 + collection or transport for the six bottles, then I would think that to be a fair deal.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
dochsm
Cruz Ruby

Post by dochsm »

Thank you both for you help. Please don't think I was trying to hawk it on this forum! I thought I was reasonably worldly wise until my son asked me what he should do with his port, then suddenly I was completely stumped. You have been most helpful. Howard
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Howard,

Given that it was an investment, liquid assets per se, selling is always an option ... however, has your son considered saving these Ports until he is older and then drinking them himself with friends and/or loved ones on significant occasions throughout his life? Someday he might even like to have something special with which to toast to his father's life and his fond memories of times you two spent together.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Roy Hersh wrote:Howard,

Given that it was an investment, liquid assets per se, selling is always an option ... however, has your son considered saving these Ports until he is older and then drinking them himself with friends and/or loved ones on significant occasions throughout his life? Someday he might even like to have something special with which to toast to his father's life and his fond memories of times you two spent together.
I agree. Unless you really need to liquidate the asset (sorry) you shoulr keep it. Vesuvio 97 is a fabulous young port and in 10 or 20 years time will reward the patience of those who have kept them.

I agree with Tom's valuation as I bought some of this at exactly that price from a well-known wine merchant about 18 months ago. Prices have increased since then but as you are selling privately you will not be able to command the current retail price.

My advice is to keep it. The price will only go in one direction and one day you or your son might develop a taste for good vintage port and these bottles will be an excellent place to start.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
dochsm
Cruz Ruby

Post by dochsm »

Thanks again for you advice. I'll pass it all on to my son. It is his port after all (unfortunately!)
Howard