1950 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1950 Quinta do Noval

Post by jdaw1 »

An Emergency, at the Boot & Flogger, on Monday 21st September 2015. Just four of us: JDAW, DRT, THRA, and SCD (who had started his introduction thread only the day before).

Links:
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: 1950 Noval

Post by Doggett »

What a port to record my first :tpf: TN. The N50 was my wine of the night and I am very grateful to Tom for bringing it along. I am afraid my comments will not be up to you hardened :tpf: folk and I am not sure they are of much value, but as they say...you have to start somewhere!

I recorded, that colour wise it as a medium deep tawny that was lighter at the edge, showing its age. with Tom's clue being it was a rarely tasted port from a major shipper, I very mistakenly guessed at a Sandeman 67... But in my defence I am not up to speed on your previous tastings :)

It tasted wonderful and smooth right through the finish, with a hint of orange. As a fan of an old tawny, it was a lovely tasting port and I hope to enjoy it again.

Simon
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

A very fine first TN post!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:A very fine first TN post!
Seconded. My humbler efforts follows.

N50, from THRA, decanted 15:00. Red-orange, 30% opaque. Nose of red fruit. Lovely texture, oleaginous, mid weight, and very mature. Also quite astringent. Guessed to be Cr54, but on revelation was not embarrassed to have guessed a 1950s non-general year, even if the wrong one.