NV Maynard 40YO Tawny (bottled 2015)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

NV Maynard 40YO Tawny (bottled 2015)

Post by Doggett »

I thought I would try one of the 2 bottles of Maynard's 40Y Tawny bottles I managed to get, to see if an ongoing search of Aldi stores was worth the time to find more £30 bottles of this port.
It is a very deep, dark mahogany brown colour, thinning to a clear rim. Lovely caramels coming through with oranges and just enough heat and acidity to balance the amazing sweetness. This is a very nice aged tawny (Bottled 2015) and tremendous value for money. I will certainly be looking to find some more bottles. As a comparison a small glass of Sandeman 30Y tawny was tried. The Sandeman has a much lighter, clearer, red/orange look with a touch more heat showing through. Both are lovely and very smooth, but at half the price the Maynard's 40 is an absolute steal. Aldi issued a 30Y last christmas which I remember being very impressed with, but no notes taken. If you see a bottle, I can't recommend enough you give it a try, and if i see more, I shall try to 'overbuy' for other members to enjoy. 93 points