1977 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1977 Croft

Post by LGTrotter »

An old standby, not much change from all the others.

Quite pale, which makes me think it is going over, but there is no brown and I have never seen a 77 which is very dark. It's pink has a strident quality that contradicts the evidence of it's opacity.

Not much on the nose as yet (only open an hour), plenty of swirling produces something like treacle and redcurrants.

Lovely mouthfeel, quite thick and oily. The palate has redcurrant, or at least rather an acid fruit, I always look out for oranges in Croft, but I can't find any here. A bit compressed, which I assume will improve with opening, but a rather hollow, almost watery mid-palate, which I fear will not. If this was claret I would have said it must have rained in September.

Good port though, and I have a feeling it will be another one of those which I will miss when it is all gone. I think it still has some development to come (10 years?). I may update this note with more time in the decanter.

Update; it has filled out on the palate, the tannins and spirit are more to the fore, the spirit a bit too pronounced on the nose. Fine sipping. Seemed happiest with about 8 hours open.